Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License delay, grant letter issued

Options
  • 18-10-2022 5:19pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Grant letter received for unrestricted firearm. Fee paid, and receipt retained but no license! Have been waiting for almost 3 weeks.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My last renewal. Got the grant, paid for it, waited for nearly 4 weeks and no license. Rang to be told they were so busy they simply hadn't "authorised" the issuing of the license.

Never heard that before because as far as I was aware once it's granted the sending out if the license is a different dept within AGS. Anywho, it arrived a few days later.

So perhaps a call to check up on it status.?

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Called already and told to wait another week and call back :(

D'oh. That'd bring you up to the 4 week mark, same as I waited.

Guess you're out of options, at least for another week.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

When I was getting my most recent ones granted the FO mentioned there were some "issues" with licences getting sent out, but if I didn't have it within 2 weeks of paying just to contact them and they'd sort it.

Ended up getting it at the 2 week mark but everything with licencing, particularly with some midlands counties, has slowed to an absolute crawl in the past year.

Like 5 months for a new licence. Seemingly because of the amount of renewals etc, that they aren't getting to any licences until about 3 months after they are handed in 🤬

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apprently it's been like that all over the 26 this year. It took about 5 months for me to get my EU firearms passport renewed as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

Right or wrong, I'm hearing that the delays are down to the "civilians" doing some of the admin..

I seriously doubt that they've been overrun with renewals this year tbh.

While it's potentially an awkward conversation to have to have, if stopped by the Gardai, before you get your new licence, I think being able to show a copy of the Grant and evidence that you've paid your fee, should be acceptable.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

The longest I waited for a grant letter was 3 weeks except for my ill fated restricted license, but I am on my 7th week now and no sign of it despite it should have been signed off by sup last month. I talked around and there seems to be same issue with lots of others in the area, grant letters have dried up. 2 dealers have confirmed this, is someone on strike?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

this is different as I am not waiting on the grand letter. Theoretically this is just an administrative exercise as the decision has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

I was worried about my licence not arriving after a few weeks even though it had been paid for so I rang the licencing section in the phoneix park and they can see if it's been sent out or if they even have the paperwork for it.Ill look for a number for them as I can't see it online.

016661916 firearms policy unit.Tim or Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Theoretical question.

I wonder has anybody ever been prosecuted for having an unlicenced firearm where they had a grant letter issued and had paid the fee, but for whatever reason no licence had been issued? Or is that even an offence?

I reckon it would be an offence as legislation dictates that someone in possession of a firearm must have a firearm licence and not a grant letter. T'wud want to be a right ar5ehole to pull you up on it though and I doubt a judge would convict under those circumstances.

• Advertisement

Presumably would be treated similar to driving while you waited for a licence to arrive even if the application is accepted?

I’d say it’s best to check with the local Garda station and see what they say or just play it safe and wait. Even if you don’t end up convicted, it’s just unnecessary hassle.

I won’t know if the moderator has been granted or not until I see the license. Also even if I got an answer to this I would have no documentation to support the possession and use of a moderator. It’s all academic as I simply wouldn’t be comfortable having a firearm without having the license in my possession (even though I have the grant letter).

Thank you for this.

They FCU could see that the license fee was paid and have ordered a reprint. They said I will have it within 5 days.

Great people in there.I also was granted a moderator for 1 of my rifles but on the licence it was missing the magic "s" so rang them and they can see it's been granted so just ordered a replacement with the s on it.

Good that you're sorted, enjoy the new gun.

I don’t want to count my chickens but hopefully I’m sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Not too sure on the back log theory, after being told by the District FO that she had my substitution application from my local station, and she was sending it to the Super for signature I had my license within a week.

Maybe ringing up to see why my application was sitting in the local station for 5 weeks without any checks being carried out, might have helped lol.

License arrived this am. Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭iand220

I'm in the exact same boat but not waiting as long, hopefully its going to be sorted this week after chatting to the FO and licensing office.

Good news,now the fun can begin.

Talked with a friend today In exactly the same situation. AGS told him that they have a major IT issue with the licensing system at present that is causing massive delays across the board.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting almost 4 weeks, since I paid for my renewals. Not good enough really....

I suspect there's more to this than IT issues, too many people impacted, over far too long a period, imho 😞

Thanks,

G.

Paid for my latest renewal (grant) Monday just gone. License arrived Thursday morning.

This probably sounds stupid but I'm wondering if the delay had any bearing on the speed of issuing the license. The grant was issued on the 29th of Sept. I only paid for it Monday the 24th of October.

Had I paid for it on the 29th of Sept would I have still received it in 3 days or did the delay between receipt of the grant to paying for it allow for the delay most seem to be having.

If that makes sense?

See my post further up with number and give them a buzz next week

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭BSA International

Any issue with renewal notices? Renewal due mid Jan. Notice should be here soon to allow 3 months for processing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Got my renewal notice 3 days short of 3 months in advance of the licence's expiration, so there doesn't seem to be an issue there.

The renewal itself took 5 months to get back, but that's the other aspect.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Hi Cass,

Our of interest, when did your licence expire, or had it actually expired when you got the new one ?

In my case, my old one has now expired.

Thanks,

G.

I'm not sure what is causing the delay, my point (if there is actually one) was had I paid for the grant immediately upon receipt of it, would I have been waiting weeks for the license instead of the days it took because I paid the grant so close to the expiry of the grant letter. In other words was the delay "lessened" because of the delay in paying?

My last renewal, before this, I was waiting nearly a month after paying the grant for the license and had to ring up to confirm it was being issued.

As for existing license, with this renewal, it expired months ago. Took over 4 months , just shy of 5 actually, for the renewal to be processed.

Got another In the door Friday so have to do it all over again.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Prior to this year, I've always had very good service, from start to finish - new licences and "renewals" always done within 2-4 weeks (actually one or two were done in close to a week) , and licenses received within a few days of paying the grant, at the local post office.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

The system in the Phoenix Park was knocked out some how, got back running and went down again. Not sure if printer ran out of ink or server crashed or something else but it is down over 6 weeks in total so there is a massive backlog country wide. This was mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Mods - Please delete. Tks

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement