Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which industry has the biggest laugh at their customers' expense?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

Toll Road collection booths - especially eastlink which was handed over to the city ages ago.

Its sole reason for existing now is to keep the people in that booth in a job.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The difference of course is that private businesses will largely keep their scandals quiet, deal with them internally, get rid of the people with whatever hush money is needed to keep things nice and quiet. The only thing that Google search confirms is that it is very difficult to hide anything that goes on in charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The NGO sector. Cashpayers for unelected individuals who spend their half days pontificating and demanding to everyone else.

Out out

Now….Gigs / entertainment industry…

just looking at a few gigs on Ticketmaster…

Depeche Mode…2 e-tickets.. 173 euros….they are the cheapest tickets…Malahide Castle so out in a field… zero comfort…

not a fan of that band but there is literally nobody alive I’d be paying that sort of cash to stand in a field to watch. Nobody.

If 20,000 people go. Average ticket price is about 85 euros… that’s 1.7 million in revenue for a nights entertainment, 2 hour set of live music.

That’s a pisstake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They are just row after row of vending machine that doesn't sell any product

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have read and heard about various studies on it. A quick google will help you find a few.

Study: Dietary Supplements Do Nothing for Health (webmd.com)

Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins? | Johns Hopkins Medicine

Do multivitamins work? Study concludes supplements a 'waste of money' for most people (studyfinds.org)

Vitamins, supplements are a 'waste of money' for most Americans: There's no 'magic set of pills to keep you healthy.' Diet and exercise are key -- ScienceDaily

I did not read any of these links but knock yourself out. I am convinced that vitamins and minerals in their natural food source work - the manufactured ones are a waste of money. That said, the level of nutrients in our soils and foods is deteriorating fast.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

the first link is the only one that supports your theory though

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Butson

Coffee shops.

Outrageous mark up.

Most of it gets spent on rent that goes to some fella walking around Marbella or Cote d'Azur with a pair of wrap around sunglasses on and his hair swept back, all because his great granddad was a cobbler/farrier/cooper/blacksmith at the same location. The staff there get paid 10.50 an hour and the person who owns the business is wondering if every month is their last. Property is managed by DNG or one of those and business owner never gets to meet wrap around sunglasses guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The medical industry. Trying to tell me that I need emergency surgery, or else I'll drop dead suddenly. I'm not falling for their nonsense. An absolute scam.

And I'll tell you anoth

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

If they sold coffee for what it cost them they would not be in business long! They might have a decent margin but after paying all the overheads very few are paying for their house in the south of France out of it,

on the serious side… I was on a waiting list for a scan, the consultant in the Mater said he’d get a letter sent with the date, never happened, when I kicked up about it a year later I was sent to a private facility in Smithfield….. who happened to be on the board of said private hospital ? Yep, the referring consultant…

there are a lot of twisters in private healthcare… many who work in both are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Them companies who rent you a graduation robe for an hour, what is it 70 euro or something?

Sellers of Non Fungible Tokens, the tulip bulbs to be.

Meta/Facebook.

There is a banking regulator, aviation regulator, a transport regulator (NTA)….there really needs to be oversight as regards healthcare and consultants. Prices are scandalous…waiting lists, quality of help and the manner of those charges too. HIQA is not fit for purpose and certainly doesn’t have the stones to go against consultants or hospital managers…

It’s an organisation heavy on investigation and typing up reports of content that is committed to stating the bleedin obvious and not much more… but bring about change, improving deficits in quality care and services… hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Car repair garages are another one. They have a dreadful reputation for gouging and fleecing their customers. They usually see their customers as nothing more than suckers. An actual decent and honest mechanic is an absolute Godsend if you manage to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

The vast majority are of little to no use, I was specifically referring to the fitness industry's endorsement of supplements though, Turmeric, no idea who that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Magazines-they’ve always been overpriced. Now that I’ve found the Libby app I never bother. I’ll love without the few that aren’t on it.

M50, and fixed line broadband, you’ve no choice and they know it.

Hopefully 5G routers will be quick enough to run a house and make shake things up.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Politicians

Exactly! During the last recession they were like "Ohh look, we squandered all our billions bailing out our buddies at the bank, what will we do now? Ah we can make all those ordinary eejits pay us every year to live in their own houses ha ha ha! and there is feck all they can do to stop us, cant smuggle their houses out of the country hahaha we really have them by the balls now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Hospital consultants...

Private consultation in a public hospital....... Called into the guys office at 2:01pm. He glanced over GP's notes for 30 seconds. Lay on bed. 10 second inspection of the issue. Asked me two questions. Back in the chair. Agreed he could do the op in late November. Left the office at 2:04.

€150 fee, health insurance to cover the op itself.

Had I been able to attend a private clinic, the fee would have been €100 to me on the day, with the op itself done same day.

Talk about taking the piss.

PUSH ( As opposed to PULL) broadcasting industry in Ireland.

Own an Irish TV station, for broadcasting to the irish audience?

Aim for an age segment. Buy into a few personalities who advocate for that age group.

Set up a chat show. set up some comedy re runs ( like golden girls for oldies, or xena warrior princess for younger etc etc)

Buy "POSITIVE" reviews in the Sindo, Irish Examiner, Irish Times, or Tabloids

There . All set.

Most of them are absolute incomprehensible and incompetent rip off merchants, dick turpin wore a mask, but two I know ought to wear one in front of a firing squad.

News Talk will keep on championing the Owners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Software industry.

The first Windows 95 CD cost $300 million dollars to make. The second one cost 3c to make. And now the most you'll get is about 25 letters / numbers which expire. No promises that the software will work and no matter what happened damages are limited to getting your money back (as if that ever happens)

Support is out-sourced to the lowest bidder because - Wang Cares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ready made sandwiches. Almost 7 quid for the miserable slices of bread with merely a hint of filling.

Advertisement