Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Coasting is more efficient on motorways, regen is generally better in traffic since it saves your brake pads

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Ordered one from stock during the week but am now having second thoughts, a lot of people mentioning the drivers seat being kind of claustrophobic, I’m 6 ft, but mainly it’s because of the whole idea of the extra work of planning recharging all the time. I live in rural cork, will have a home charger but if I want to head off to Dublin now and back in a day seems a hassle to be thinking about the charging network.

had a 30 min test drive before Christmas, liked it but you never really know a car until ur living with it.coming out of an s90 r design

went for a long range dual motor in thunder with pilot lite and the plus pack.

what’s the likely scenarios with resale and trades in 3 to 4 years time has anyone speculated? Realise it’s an emerging market so hard to say I suppose.

considering a very well spec 420d m sport instead, all sounds a bit mad I know. I still have the option to cancel the polestar and get my 1k back.

sorry this post is a bit of a ramble, thoughts appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure about the interior and I'm a small guy. For me it was more the quality of the plastics coming out of an Audi. The demo car was dirty though. I loved the look of the car and the delivery time so I decided to go for it.

The only downside to buying a Polestar is Spirit Motors won't necessarily offer you a trade in price on your BMW. They will just buy the car off you at wholesale like any 3rd party dealership. Going down the more traditional dealer route and buying a "normal car" from say a BMW dealer, you'll get more for your existing car. On the plus side, Spirit will stand behind the Polestar, you'll get a better APR rate than BMW and free three year servicing.

Come sale time you will have a standard GTV if you go down the PCP route but you might get a low trade-in offer on your car going back to Polestar as Spirit may not want the used cars in a similar way Tesla don't want used Teslas. It's a bit of a mystery at the moment but I did see used cars in the yard.

The car won't tank. It all comes down to how you sell it in the future. It might not be as straight forward as bringing a BMW back to BMW but you'll hang onto your deposit for your next car if you hang onto it for 3 years.

I'd be more reluctant to buy a new Tesla as I don't think they have any link to a traditional dealership in the same way Polestar to to Spirit Motors and Volvo.

Post edited by n.d.os on

ID4 is just a nicer car to drive. I hate all that regen driving though. It feels like you're driving with the handbrake on. If you like it then the Polestar is the better drivers car. When I turned off the regen on the Polestar it still feels a big slugish and heavy on the accelerator pedal. Maybe it just takes time to get used to as I found the ID4 brakes a bit spongy at first but now they're fine.

• Advertisement

I think going from Cork to Dublin is one of the better served routes, you've got decent quality hubs in Cashel, Mayfield and Kill. I've had an ID.4 for two years and I honestly feel I can go anywhere in Ireland without much difficulty, except possibly Donegal or rural Kerry, and even then I'd just need to charge up a bit extra on the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

If I were you I would book another test drive and sit in the interior with those thoughts in mind. Playaround with seating positions etc. In my opinion: in comparison to a Tesla M3, ioniq 5 or an ID4 the cabin feels less open but, in comparison to my old V60 it's not much different. I've had mine 10 days and don't feel cramped in the drivers seat (5'9).

For a Cork-Dub trip you have discounted Ionity charging at Cashel and Kill so, time a pee break around them😂.

Resale value is a big one, currently 3-4 year old EVs look to making good money but, who knows what another 3-4 years will bring.

My Polestar has arrived. Ordered from available cars 11 days ago. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭eagerv

Surely when using blended brakes like on VW you only use brake pads when you brake heavily. Whether you use D or B it is basically the same on brakes. But freewheeling will always be the most efficient unless you have to stop. The smart regen is one feature I really miss on my ID, made for very relaxed driving. Tesla don't use blended brakes, but you get a fairly strong regen as standard (Unable to alter on my RWD). Have eventually got used to this, feathering your foot so regen is at a minimum.

Was behind an ID.3 recently who obviously was driving in B mode, brake lights were flashing like a Christmas tree every time he let off the accelerator on bends. I wouldn't say his efficiency was great..

I just can't drive the ID4 on B. For around town it's fine but it just doesn't feel right. On the Polestar it feels more natural driving with regen on but I still think when I pick up my car I'll be turning it all off.

• Advertisement

I literally drive the ID.4 on B everywhere, I'm mostly driving around town and I generally forget when I'm on the motorway

Tell me have there been any app updates recently? I haven't looked into it as my wife drives the car most days? Can you time charges or aircon through the app yet or is it still done manually? I have a bog standard Elli charger so I can't set timers on it. I'm waiting on an app update to time charges there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

So jealous.

That spec comes in over the grant limit yeah?

I love that cocooned feeling, the way you're enveloped as the driver (currently driving a V60 PHEV). Not a big fan on the SUVs and the high driving position and the feeling you're sitting on the vehicle as opposed to in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why oh why won't anyone come out with a decent estate. Sick of cross overs suvs and hatches.

Only one on horizon possibly is A6 avant . No I don't count the MG as remotely sexy

Yeah they've updated the app with v3.0 on the car. So you can set departure times for air conditioning, and you can setup charging as well but I think you need to save the location on the infotainment first

They've also enabled locating the car from the app, and you can plot a route to the last parking location as well

The software is improving but it really could be going a bit quicker. And they really need to work on the UI, right back at 2012 levels

That's one of the reasons I was considering a Polestar, using Android was a great idea since it's gotten a competent software company to do all the hard work already

Im sure VW will offer an estate with the new id7.

I will have to update the app and take a proper look. Timed charging would be great. My wife has to set an alarm on her phone every night to turn it on once we are out of peak.

Doubt it frankly I see that being a stand alone hatchback tbh. They won't make a wagon out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The photos are of the saloon. There's no actual images of the shooting brake yet.

So how does the Polestar app compare to the ID one? Does it have most of the same features?

I'll tell you later in the week after I pick up my car. So far the Polestar experience is very good. The app provided accurate information on my order and updated it immediately once a pickup date was organized for the car. I don't see anything yet about charging on there. I think when I pick up the car the app updates itself to include charging.

I was on WeConnect last night and noticed some of the changes. I'm interested to see if it improves my experience with the standard Elli charger with no app connect. Now that we have two EVs I sort of wish I bought the Elli Charger Pro so I could time charges but perhaps with these new app updates, I might be able to time charges through the app. I does mention something about location settings in the car so I will look at that next time I'm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

Polestar app is quite limited:

Battery %, car location. Lock/unlock door. Climate on/off & set timers.

Also, allows the phone to be used as a key. Hopefully more functionality is added in the future.

Thanks for the responses and advice to my rant.

drove polestar today at the test drive location in Sandyford. It didn’t blow me away, thought the driving was a little dull, yes you get the mad acceleration if you put the foot down but it was a bit meh besides compared to the 190 horses in the Volvo. Hard to explain given that the polestar has over twice the hp. The test drive models are older, last years I believe and the one I was in said it needed a software upgrade but dunno how much difference that will make.

didn’t feel claustrophobic as I had heard it might, but I can see how some might feel it would with the big centre console and the very narrow view at the back. The test drive model had the glass roof as the one I ordered has, think it probably would feel claustrophobic without that.

room in the back isn’t fantastic, does feel tight but fine for kids,can really only take 2 I think. Heated rear seats and usb connections which are handy.

the google system looks good, I only used the sat nav, very clear and just the right amount of guidance in the speedo area. Really like its detail around ur remaining capacity and where to top up on long journeys. It shows types of chargers, how many are currently being used, ur charging time to get to 80. % and what you will have remaining at destination if u charge. Sales guy said if u pick ur charging spot when departing, the car will automatically heat up the battery in advance before arriving at charge spot to speed up charging.

spirit gave me a reasonable price on my own car at the test drive so think I will follow through with it, still have a slight concern with the arse falling out of the market with the newest model coming in October and the likelihood that prices may drop over the next couple of years a la Tesla so am going pcp to get that gfmv as some sort of hedge, APR is only 3.9 so as pretty good compared to most car loans. They are offering 6.9 on HP which is very competitive I think.

So did you go for the 24 model or previous. The 24 appears pretty compelling near 50km extra range. 50kw faster charging 60 more hp and rear wheel drive.

Prefer the current grille myself though. But the US are getting all driver aids standard. Prob won't get that here though as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Jaysus that's a real pita for what is a modern EV. My 2016 Leaf can be programmed to charge for any length of time desired using the in car screen. If I want to fully charge it, I set it to charge between 3 and 7 each night, whereas if I just want to top it up I'll set it to charge between 5 and 7. It's a bit cumbersome but takes only a minute to adjust before switching off car.

Advertisement