Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 2

Options
  • 06-10-2022 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Anyone looking at Polestar 2. Expensive for a Volvo but seems to be one of the few EV available for immediate delivery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Core6

I took one for a test drive -- excellent car.

The only ones they have available (AFAIK) are over the €60K threshold so no grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I didn't know they had a dealership in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Core6

They don't have a dealership as such. They have a car park with a temporary office in Sandyford, Dublin. It is across the road from a Volvo dealer so is related (I assume).

I booked a test drive online.

It was well organised -- we showed up at the appointed day/time, they took driver licence details, showed us around a demo car and told us to come back in an hour or so.The only purchasing option is online.

Very like the Tesla model.

No trade-ins as such but they point you towards the Volvo dealership for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Over in the UK to his week, spotted loads of polestars in hertz rental cars (polestars and Tesla's) they look unreal. I like the Tesla look but honestly polestar makes them look old fashioned.

If I'd 53k to spare I'd get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Having driven a few versions of both, I'd get a BMW i4 over a Polestar 2 any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

They drive better, they are a nicer place to sit, they are physically a lot more comfortable for a person of my size, the infotainment experience is in a different universe frankly and although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the i4 is as handsome from most angles as the 2.

No contest.

Mmm... Personally i4 doesn't do much for me not much of a departure from the high end rep mobiles of the past looks wise. Also would have to find another 15k+ on top of the 53k for one of them right?

The i4 looks like a plastic Skoda

You do not want the 53k Polestar, end of.

And the BMW will retain its value better in the long run.

Drive both, make a judgement. You'll quickly find that the fact it doesn't look that different to a 4 series is the least of your considerations.

Skoda make better looking cars than it to be fair. But again, drive both, it will become irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Each to his own. Money won't buy taste

I'm driving an ioniq 5 premium plus, so happy with that. If I was changing, polestar would be the choice I think now. Just personal choice but bm'ers never did much for me and deffo not at 65k+.

If you put an I4 and M4 for me from a distance doesn't stand out much which is the Ev.

Also I had a Volvo in the past (S40) and liked it. Polestar looks like a bit of an ultra modern design look of that.

Thats completely true.

But it will buy you a better car.

I can't stress this enough. Drive the Polestar. Then drive the BM. 5 minutes of driving the i4 and using the driver interface and there won't be a question left in your mind.

If you don't care about driving at all, or the clarity and glitchiness of the infotainment, by all means order a P2 and you'll be very happy.

Naa 15k extra wouldn't justify that for me, I'd be sticking on android auto anyways 😜.

The i4 has iDrive OS 8 and that has Android Auto.

Ioniq is a better car than both anyway.

All makers, BM, Tesla, Volvo - they are all trying to fool people that there is such a thing as a sporty EV. There isn't, not at 2,600 kgs. An EV can go very fast in a straight line. Congrats, so could a 1968 Dodge Charger.

What they don't feel like, is a sporting car, light over crests, nimble in the bends. The i4 does it better than an Polestar, but not nearly as well as a 1,500 kg 320i.

So if an EV is your desire, you might as well be comfortable and have lots of space. It'll still smoke anything off the line.

Honestly if you put a gun to my head to buy absolutely any EV on sale today, it would be an iX3. Not an iX, not a Model Y, not an EQC.

Yeah I'm not in the boy racer mould looks would be over performance for me. Majority of the time the only time I drive fast only in straight lines, I take it handy on the back roads 😜.

This I appreciate. This is the very basics of new car tec, even if battery cars were around 100 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The €53k doesn't seem over expensive for such a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Bit less enticing now that a Model Y is 53k too.

The Polestar place is only up the road so I think I’m going to try a test drive, have had at least one Volvo in the driveway since 2010, two for a few years. Mrs drives a XC60 currently. Only considering an EV so struggling to figure out what to replace it with.

The i4 is so fugly that I’m not even bothering going near the dealership.

• Advertisement

I'd class the model Y in the fugly category. Looks like a Frankenstein M3 to me.

I'd still take an M3 over MY, after seeing the polestar would take that over either.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

P2 is definitely a great looking car.

I see quite a lot of MYs where I live. They have grown on me a lot when seeing them in person, they look great in blue or white imo. In pictures they don't look good, especially the front.

Be it fugly as you say, it's still far better value than the P2 given the extra interior space.

I didn't make up my mind on the model Y until I saw it in the flesh likewise with the polestar.

Y wheelbase is only 1.6 cm longer than the model 3 and 5.6 cm longer overall.

It's slightly wider at 7.1 cm the main difference is the height in dimensions its taller model 3.

It just reminds me of those futuristic bubble top concept cars from the 50's.

Sleek look getting a bit dated now needs a few more angles 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I feel like FWD would take a lot of the fun out of an EV. If my 110hp Golf managed to wheelspin without too much effort on high performance tyres I can't imagine what a 230hp EV with instant torque would be like, especially in the wet. Does it have a differential at least?

Saw one of these in the flesh and they seem to sit quite high, almost looked like a saloon trying to be a crossover. I like the look of them, and the i4. Apparently the driver seat is a bit cramped, just going by some comments I've seen in general.

If I was in the market for a €50-60k EV it would definitely be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Took one of these for a spin recently, dual motor performance. Was completely underwhelmed. Not sure what I expected but just assumed it would wow me more.

Not as quick as I expected, it felt heavy, and I found the user interface quite confusing. Which I deffo didn’t expect having had Volvos for over a decade.

I do like the look of them still, interior is quite nice, decent materials, and it felt well pretty put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve seen a few around lately and they look nice. But what’s the story with the headlights? When indicating the head light on the inductor side goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭eltoastero

Went for a test drive with a friend (think he's put an order in), my take on the P2 was an overall positive experience

The Google Automotive interface is excellent IMO and puts the UI of the EV6 to shame (something so simple as showing me both the expected % of battery on arrival at my sat nav destination and what would be left if I were to make an immediate return journey is excellent and something that should be a basic feature for any car with an integrated navigation system). Google maps extending to the drivers screen was the highlight.

I found the cabin a bit snug (i'm 5 ft 10, so no giant) - the centre console seemed very imposing, almost what I'd imagine an F1 car to feel like - I'd absolutely adjust to it and find it cosy, but it might not work for anyone larger than me.

I tested the FWD Smaller battery without the Plus pack. FWD felt odd as it tried to put the power down while turning, nothing wrong with it but just odd now that I'm used to RWD. Power was fine and in line with the EV6 (brisk enough, won't break your neck every time you boot it). Noise levels were good, seats were comfy. Materials were good but I'd almost say they felt cheaper in more places than the EV6 (again, i could be biased but that was my gut feeling).

The rear seats were tight enough too, they took 2x child seats but again a tall driver might struggle with a rear facing child seat behind them. Boot was fine for a buggy and a couple of bags (but nothing in comparison to say an Enyaq or ID4, due to the fastback shape).

Overall it's a shame the Plus pack can't sneak in under the grant as it would be very hard to beat.

I'd still rate the EV6 or Ioniq 5 above the P2 (comparing like for like price levels) but it's close. I dug out an old list of cars i'd tested to see if I still agree with the order, i'm sure this will cause riots in the subs: EV6 - Ioniq 5 - Polestar 2 - Model 3 (rented for a week, which put me off it) - ID3 - Enyaq - ID4. Haven't had a go in an i4, Model Y, cupra born or Mustang Mach E yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Baffles me how they are pricing the single motor long range at €60,990 ( €990 above the 5K grant )

Just for kicks I asked them in the chat - were they aware of this fact, they said they are not responsible for the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

That's madness. How can the people who set the price not realise this? They won't sell many at those prices. They need to get aggressive with their pricing. Lower the prices to below M3 equivalent levels for the SR and Dual motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

I wonder if the likes of PSNY will drop their prices soon also? I have a P2 arriving in a few weeks, will probably drop the day after I pay for it 🤑

Advertisement