Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Communion preparation to be moved out of classrooms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No box anymore as it goes against safeguarding children and vulnerable people. I'm not sure if they do a one to one or a general, group service where they all say an act of contrition and the priest gives absolution. I'm sure one of the practising catholics who contribute in here could clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Advocating to have it pushed out of schools and establishing Sunday schools is not a good direction to go."

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the other young parents went out and set up a school with a Cahtolic ethos, or else support one that has a Catholic ethos................but yet you see plenty of other self-centred lazy wasters basically saying "ah yeah, we see you've gone and done the work there. I'd like that. C'mere, now that you have finished it, because I'm too busy and too special, please tear it down and build it back up again the way that suits me and do it now. wah wah wah. I'm special and unique and you exist only to serve me"

And what are you trying to say there - in english- if you would......

• not sure where you get that idea from? It’s my experience schools are generally chosen based on:

location (how far away), & reputation

• Advertisement

Are you doing it right? Seeing as I've no clue what "point" you're trying to make, I'd say you were doing it wrong.

He's trying to say that all Catholic parents go out and set up schools. Not that the State farmed out the setting up of schools to the Religious orders. Non Catholics are lazy is also something he's keen to get across, I think.

Interesting conclusion.

I know at least one Catholic parent that didn't go out to set up schools. (In fact I know many many in that category)

That blows your silly theory out of the water then doesn't it?

My silly theory? Perhaps you should open up a history book.

Is there a history book about your (mis-)interpretation of my post?

That was quick!! Sure I only posted it about 40 mins or so ago.

• Advertisement

Well if hes gotten it wrong you might furnish him with a clear explanation of what you were trying to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not that the State farmed out the setting up of schools to the Religious orders.

When the State hadn't two red cents to rub together after the civil war it was the religious orders that set up schools, they set up hospitals and much more too.

The liberals are very quick to highlight and criticise the wrongdoings done by the religious orders (alot of that criticism warranted) but are also very quick to overlook the good deeds the religious orders done for the people of this country down through the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Because it will speed up the eradication of the catholic church in Ireland.

Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Catholic person - doesn't want to see the numbers fall.

Non Catholic person - can't be bothered doing the confirmunion prep with little Johnny and Mary, easier to let the school do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,314 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, that's easy to do if they're millionaires with a lot of time on their hands.

🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

89% actually and the majority of the remainder are Church of Ireland.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

@Donald Trump

Quality contribution as ever. You are as well versed in bluster and bullshit as your namesake.

Why should they have to go to all that trouble?

Why is Catholic indoctrination the default?

Clue for you - having both parents work is the norm for both catholic families and non-catholic families, but only one of the above is, according to you, expected to be at the beck and call of the school in order to protect their constitutional rights.

Hahahaha

This is Ireland. The catholic religion must remain on a taxpayer funded pedestal.

The government suggested that ETB secondary schools, which are fully state owned and funded, might offer an alternative subject to those opting out of religion. There was uproar from the usual suspects and it was claimed that not having to waste hours per week on religion would give the other kids an "unfair advantage".

You really couldn't make this shît up... brainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you were in a Muslim country, im damn sure whatever religious aspects, education, preparation etc… that are presently associated with growing up it that faith wouldn’t be forced out of schools due to a few non Muslims attending.

quite simply if there are people of other faiths or none who’d want to give it a miss… a general study session should be provided in a different class room or hall where they can read, study, even get a head start on homework…

if a non Catholic student chooses St. Mary’s secondary school they should not be of the ability to change the curriculum… opt out of religious studies not in keeping with their faith..sure, 1000%, but preventing others from participating, preparing and learning..NO.

shows again how little say Irish people have in their own affairs when others simply put their hand up and get offended because what school they join in a country they chose to come to can all of a sudden, amend a school curriculum…. Pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

LOL

Unwanted preaching is exactly the problem. But it's the Catholics doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭CptMonkey

Why not? Should religion not be thought on the sabbath? I think it should. You would get a real sense of who is catholic then. But I guess the church wouldn’t like that

If we were serious about safeguarding children, we'd ban catholicism from schools.

In the news - another cardinal has been found to have been raping kids, the church has "admonished" him, but has not reported his crimes to the police. Same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The people who set up the Dalkey School Project weren’t millionaires either, they were just a group of people who were interested in offering an alternative to religious education -

The Dalkey School Project was set up in 1975 to focus the commitment of those who wanted the option of schools within the National School System which would be multi- denominational, co-educational and under a democratic management structure and which would have a child-centred approach to education. The strategy of the new organisation was to work to get one school into the system first rather than argue principle at national level for many years to come.

https://www.educatetogether.ie/sites/default/files/multi-denominational_schools_in_the_republic_of_ireland_1975-1995_by_aine_hyland.pdf

You’re doing the same thing as you did earlier when I brought up the fact that homeschooling is becoming the fastest growing means that parents are choosing for the education of their own children - immediately you jumped to making the extreme association of homeschoolers with the Burkes, same as you’re now doing with associating the founding of a local school with millionaires.

Nobody has to be a millionaire to start their own school, they just have to have an interest in education. Nobody has to be a qualified teacher either to educate their own children, with many parents finding they were a lot more capable than they thought and gaining a new found confidence and perspective in educating their own children while the schools were closed during lockdown and there was no access to formal education.

You’re looking for solutions on a grand scale, when it’s simply neither feasible nor necessary, and the most practical and effective solutions to the issues parents face in the education of their own children are easier to tackle and easier to gain support for at local level within their local communities, as opposed to concerning themselves with trying to overhaul the national education system.

Your approach, which appears to be based upon finding reasons why you can’t do something, has had the expected effect on the national education system in the last 50 years - it’s changed nothing. The approach of changing things at local level and gaining support from the local community appears to have had a far more significant impact on the education system than simply coming up with all the reasons why you can’t change anything.

This is complete and utter bullshit.

The state (taxpayers) has been funding all health and education in Ireland since the second half of the 19th century.

In any case all funding the religious orders had in Ireland was extracted (upon pain of eternal hellfire 🙄 ) from the Irish people. Much of it went to Rome.

..seems to ignore the facts of lack of an alternative to catholic ethos schools. Why the hell should any religous ethos schools receive funding from a secular state?

Is Saudi Arabia the sort of country we should be comparing ourselves with?

FFS the absolute state of what people are coming out with in order to defend the status quo they don't even believe in... 🙄

An uncle’s English wife was telling us about having to go to Sunday School after dinner every Sunday. It wasn’t until she was married herself that she realised that it was so her parents had an hour to themselves without interruption! Nothing whatsoever to do with religion!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Because secularism doesn’t mean that the State discriminates against religious education providers in its provision for education. It means there is a separation between religion and the State. The State doesn’t get to tell religions what to do, and vice versa - religions don’t get to tell the State what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

As I said already I was told no when I asked if the re classes could be at eod so I could collect my child and leave. Instead of have to visit them in the middle of the day and that just not feasible.

So I stead of a school in a mile radius that all their friends go to I get to stick my kid in an et school 17 miles away because the rules are slightly less discrimatory.

There are no schools for people that thi k religion is the science of the people that didn't have soap

Advertisement