Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As was suggested to me when I got to that point, accidentally

Drop a travel medallion, head back to the surface and get prepared better with meals and all. Then when ready, just go back to the medallion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s worth enduring the final fight. Some of the phases are a tad annoying due to gloom mechanics, but the actual finale is spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

If you wana blitz the Ganondorf battle in a few minutes to skip to the excellent final sequence:

40 x gibdo bone to fuse (plenty available in far southwest of the depths if gerudo town gibdo quest already completed)

2 x savage lynel bow

Headshots as he advances toward you until dead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Had the same issue, just dropped a traveler's medallion there and beamed out to restock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I fúcking haaaaaaaaaaaaaate the gloom mechanic so much; removing your heart capacity constantly frustrating and the one aspect most antithetical to the game's philosophy of fun.

As to the rest, yeah I dropped a Medallion before the "point of no return" so that's handy. Having another little àrse about to see if I missed anything; find some shrines, finish off the prettier armour sets lol.

• Advertisement

First mention of DLC from the devs and it looks like it's not on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Came here to post same; given I never even played the BotW DLC, I can't say I was gagging for any & can appreciate the notion mentioned that TotK already "done everything"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Argh thats shite. Loved the BOTW DLC.

I thought BOTW DLC was excellent. Ah well. Sold my BOTW cart and case in the BOTW thread.

Cex now giving 39 cash for TOTK but feck them Id rather sell to someone here. Same deal as BOTW for my TOTK cart and case if anyone wants it. 40 euro by revolut including registered postage. PM me.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah got to it yesterday (was trying to finish the game before starfield) and tried it a good few times and just can't be arsed with it. I also agree that I can't stand the gloom mechanic.

All in all its a 7 or maybe 8/10 for me. It feels like a glorified breath of the wild DLC, I have largely ignored the building aspect of it and I can't stand the depths. I can't understand the 10/10 reviews all round considering it took them 7 years to get from botw to this, it feels like Nintendo can get away with whatever they like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno, Nintendo can get away with whatever they like if games like TOTK are the result. It's a pretty unambiguous masterpiece to me, and I'd happily give it a 10/10. That isn't to say it isn't without its quirks or flaws or annoyances. But in terms of scope and execution of vision and mechanics, there's exceedingly little out there like it. It just takes an already winning formula and explodes it into even more interesting and imaginative directions. Each to their own, but I for one have rarely played a sequel that feels like it expands the possibility space of its predecessor in such rewarding ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmm, CEX give 25 quid for BOTW.

Also, selling BOTW and TOTK carts !

Are you really sure ! Kids/family/you will play them again. Also, you've probably loads still to do ?

The DLC is tied to an account too.

In the BOTW thread someone was looking to buy it in May but Cex were looking for 60 euro at the time I think and nowhere else selling.

We might've had this debate before 😅. My son isnt into Zelda unfortunately. Dont have much left to do. Well over 200 hours put in. Anything left I looked up and Im happy to skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus Fire Temple a new contender for worst ever in a Zelda, pure tedious trial and error, and worst of all the possibility to break the puzzles so you had to reload ages back to get the tracks back in alignment. Only time in the game so far Ive had to use a guide: Theres a bit where you bong the 4th gong and think you're just supposed to hop in the cart and head off again but in the same room theres a bit of red rock hiding a hole that drops you down 5 floors to the gong just inside the entrance and if you dont notice it and head off again you're fcuked and have to backtrack the whole thing.

I think I just hacked that temple: between climbing as much as possible, carefully inching around the edges of lava lakes, or just building random shít to get me up and over things. I gave up trying to figure the track configurations and just brute forced it all lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Likewise. Was pretty much just wandering and stumbling across the gongs. Probably could've been done if stuck to the mine carts but once I got out or fell down, I pretty much lost track (no pun intended) of where I needed to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah at one stage I just said feck this and went outside and built a wing with 2 fans and a control stick and flew up to wall and climbed into a gong when I couldn't figure out the conventional way to get there, after that I used a guide, its just a terrible dungeon design.

The excellent YouTUbe channel Game Maker's Toolkit did an examination of the Ultrahand, and how or what design decisions went into making it world as perfectly as it it did:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I want my motorbike!

Back to this after months and have now finished the 4 temples.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

I try not to cheat in these games, but I looked up the ruin I need to find because I don't have the time to wander around hyrule. But I'm annoyed with myself now.

I wouldn't be annoyed. IIRC the only clue was something like:

"a ruin from the age of legends".

Went to a few places I thought it might be but eventually looked it up also. Normally the game gives you a fair shake on where to go next but that clue was very vague.

I think if I'd hadn't taken a few months break it probably would have clicked. Anyway have gotten back into this again. It's a fantastic game.

Right, found that 5th sage and assembled all the parts to create a robot for Link to control and attach bits too, to make an even more powerful robot.

But had to get overground again for a breather. And stumbled across tarry town ... and and and and ..

The game is insane.

I still can't believe what they've achieved here on the Switch. It's unreal. Was ploughing through some cave that started as a well and ended up opening onto this tropical beach with the sun about to set. Just beautiful.

Kind of in two minds now.

Should I just finish the main game or potter around a bit more.

Potter around a lot longer. It's that good !

So, I maxed out my Hylian armour set + some Sundelion meals to combat the gloom + sorted out my combat skills and the final battle was a walk in the park. Had not expected it to be so easy, after my initial attempt with zero armour a couple of weeks ago.

Brilliant, beautiful, joyful game. So relaxing and rewarding. Don't feel like I've wasted any time playing it.

An amazing game technically too. On the tiny little Switch. And no bugs. I played in regular mode on my oled tv and it was buttery smooth with no lag. Game mode was jarring in comparison.

The only downside was the depths, which got tedious and bland at times. In hindsight you don't need to go there that much and you don't need to build much in the game at all, if you don't want tos. So you don't need much battery and zonal upgrades.

And that sound effect ever time you open the menu. Why ?

Anyway, another Nintendo classic. And I've a ton of the game left to complete. Some other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Also just completed the Ganondorf battle. Surprisingly easy tbh - I found the Queen Gibdo battle tougher.

Great game. Still have the sneaking suspicion I prefer BOTW but I loved every moment of it.

Mental space now finally cleared to properly tackle some other games.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I can do any more huge open world games after TOTK. They take a huge amount of time to get the most out of them.

Maybe when I retire 😁

Advertisement