Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

All shrines and lightroots done, Ganondorf dead. Got me through that miserable July anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Have 3 of the regional disturbances done + hours of just wandering. Definitely pays dividends to watch some non spoilery hints n tips videos or vast swades of this game can pass you by.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In Breath of the Wild generally if I saw a Korok seed Id get it no bother even on some of the harder paraglider events and that kind of thing but in this there are so many that I just dont get unless its too early in the game and there is some technology I haven't got yet, like a backpack Korok stuck on the ground in a valley and his friend on top of a mountain beside him, I assume I should just skip these until I have some kind of flying machine I can stick them to and a massive battery?

Likewise there must be some way of controlling Zorok balloons and not just floating straight up until your battery dies and you fall again? Seeing a lot of impossible environmental puzzles around the place because there's no way to control the balloon.

There is a lot of creative ways to go in various directions.

I have a sheet of wood, 2 fans, and a steering wheel and it uses hardly any energy. Have plans to soup it up a bit better. I hated the building aspect as I felt it just was hacked onto the game. But now I'm a bit hooked on it. 😁

I've just gotten over to Eventide island, with it by pure accident. I forgot about that place from BOTW.

Steering wheel is the problem for me then, havent seen one yet, okay no more spoilers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Slightly off topic but playing Immortals Fenyx Rising on PS5 and I know it got compared to BotW. While clearly it took ideas it's not as blatant a rip-off as people made it out to be.

They do have a similar ability to Ultrahand so maybe it inspired Nintendo a bit. Would like it to have Ascend though.

I really enjoyed Immotals Fenyx Rising but I think a lot of that was due to the fact that it was running on much better hardware (Series X). Still a good game for about a tenner these days. But it is a huge rip off of BOTW. I think they gave up on a sequel as it didn't do well sales wise and because they just couldn't compete with TOTK. Also, it's a lot of copy/paste stuff. Things in BOTW/TOTK are much more hand crafted and designed. There is a lot more unique content, and things just fit together better on a micro and macro level. Even though TOTK is huge, there is very little bloat. Ok, that's enough gushing about TOTK. Was playing it again tonight and was torn between continuing the main quest or just messing about on side quests. Also, getting into the combat now. It's just a fun fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After 225 hours, I finally rolled credits last night. The final boss was a breeze and that diving scene at the end was fantastic (and emotional) 🙂

I'm only 54% so lots more to do. I'll give it a break for a bit, though.

Hopefully DLC gets announced soon. I think we'll get those two last hearts and 3 more Zonai devices (to take us to 30).

Cant wait for the DLC. Credits rolled weeks ago but Im still going place I havent been, fighting Gleeoks, finding caves, treasures etc.

Really wish there was a heroes path on the map that showed you where you'd been like in the BotW DLC, found that so handy andwould have missed so much without it, now I have a horrible feeling Im missing stuff all the time especially when out at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭jj880

You can get heroes path early in the game:

You need to complete a few quests to upgrade the purah pad with Josha and Robbie. Its very handy and pretty cool the way it links through depths, surface and sky.

Ah brilliant thanks! Im on that quest right now.

Someone at work told me to make sure I got the miners tunic in my first chasm as it will do away with the need to be eating glow food down there, I had a red X appear on my map from an old map I found on the Sky Island when I jumped in so I just assumed that was it, it looked closeby aswell but this was my first trip to The Depths so I went for it, and walked... and walked... and used up all my weapons on mobs so I was just carrying 5 skeleton arms, and all my food and all my glow seeds and bows and died and reloaded about 30 times, anyway Id invested too much to turn back so I kept going, but then it turns out that I walked all the way to under the Garudo Desert to get to that X which was the Miners Helmet, the Miners Tunic was apparently back a little bit to the West right beside the first chasm entrance, ah well at least Ill be nice and bright on future Depths expeditions...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The mining gear isn't that useful other than it being very easy to upgrade to max.

Even wearing it you will be throwing a lot of the lightbloom (I think they are called that) flowers down there. You'll end up with loads of those from visiting caves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Completed 3 out of the 4 dungeons and beginning to hit that point in games where my interest starts to wane. Not because I don't still enjoy the core gameplay cycle, but just that I suspect I've completed most side-quests, seen most locations there are to see & so enthusiasm lags a little. My quest log is still full but a lot of them read a bit too much the "find X number of Y" variety. While try as I might I can't find Penn and that quest seems "stuck"; wondering if I missed a stable but fairly sure I haven't.

There much Main Quest after the 4th dungeon is completed? HAve a healthy number of hearts, good stamina so OK there; there are few costumes I'd like to complete and/or upgrade, so I'm a bit more able to withstand heavier attacks - and nothing to do with how cute Link looks in them so shuddup. 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are stuck on Penn's quest where I was stuck, he is hiding out on the roof of the stable at the twin mountains area or whatever it's called.

There's still a bit to do after the 4th dungeon and the game takes some interesting turns so loads of fun still to be had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, good to know. I didn't think I'd get locked into the end-game but was curious all the same how much was left afterwards. Just gotta figure now how to make the Temple appear out in Gerudo.

That's one other thing I'll remark: as the game has gone on I've also felt that encroaching sense of the Expansion Pack some have remarked on. It would have been nice if there were a few properly new areas, towns or biomes to explore - and not just a redressing of BotW's own; and in some cases they're barely changed.

Ha, I'm stuck there too. But haven't spent too long on it yet.

So far I've found the game easy, but that's because of all the time I spent on BOTW.

Not going to cheat now.

Qq: are the Gleeoks worth fighting? I know where they are and they certainly give the air of a hard fight - but is it worth the hassle? Keep seeing em, feeling tempted then chickening out.

They're actually a really fun fight, especially the first time. They drop high level upgrade material but I find the stuff they drop even better for weapon fusing.

• Advertisement

Have the hot weather clothes for Gerudo desert now. Was a clever little puzzle to get to them. This was after getting locked in the jail previously for wearing not enough clothes to stay cool. 🤣

Fun, but difficult though? Just not interested in slogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭jj880

Depends which one and how OP you are. Fire gleeok is not a hard fight imo but I had full armour and powerful weapons.

I found my first gleelok really epic. Their last form can be annoying especially the ice and thunder ones (hint don't go to the first thunder strike, it always gets struck a second time). If you've decently powerful bows and weapons as well as armour you should be fine.

You can take them on a lot earlier than you think you can.

Fun. Loads of ways to do it depending on where they are. Recall, ascend, springs, fire or ice fused arrows, bombs.

The dialogue is very subtle and funny at times. They must have had English and Japanese writers work together as it translates so well.

It's definitely the Ocarina of Time for this generations kids.

I do wish the music was of the same quality of Ocarina of Time though. There are no standout pieces of music. The piano flourishes are fine ... but nothing like the pieces in OOT.

But that ******* stupid sound effect EVERY time you open the map/etc screen is ridiculous. Also, the jingle when you find something new, which always plays for some items. Maybe I need to take a break from it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

Finally finished it started to drag and I powered through the story to get it done before starfield.

Will play a story game now for a bit. There is still lots to do and it's a fantastic game I think I just over did it. Haven't played anything else since it was released haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I think my favourite bit of dialogue was around the side quest with the lads in underpants.

Proper laughed out loud for that.

I've not played this in a couple of months. Haven't been to death mountain at all yet. Need to get back into it soon.

The dialogue is nearly like Animal Crossing (my kids play that) humour at times. I wonder did the same employees have a hand in both.

I would love to see a Netflix like deep dive into Nintendo software development. It would be fascinating. People really don't get the amount of ridiculous hard work and effort that goes into this stuff. And where the magic comes from.

• Advertisement

Haha I've got to that point I sometimes do with games; I've done enough to get to the final Main Quest path... and I just can't summon the energy to complete the last quest. Not quite a difficulty spike but it's all pronounced enough I'm suddenly too lazy to finish the game. Anyone else like that?

Especially given

The guardians disappear for a long stretch, and I came without gloom restoration potions, like the idiot I am. Should have known the final portion would be in the Depths; boo.

Advertisement