Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Im doing the regional phenomena quest. Really like the way the areas are familiar but have been changed enough to keep me hooked. Was a bit surprised to read you don't need to do it but still enjoying it. The scale of this game is unreal. It is handy when you find a shrine in the sky. Can be a pain as already said to get back to certain parts if you fall off. Was hoping for some ability to get you up to any part once you are under it. Maybe that would make the sky sections too easy.

I agree with whoever said there is too much messing around in the menu. I didn't realise how much it was slowing me down until my son picked it up and started playing. He is only 4 or 5 hours in and he has already surpassed my 4 days effort. He whizzes through the menus and crafting while i have to stop and read what eveything does. He also has some really advanced gear and weapons while I'm still sticking horns to rusty blades.

I used to think this was a kids game. Well I guess I was right but in a different kind of way. I meant it is kind of cartoonish, but actually it's the.gameplay thst is designed for kids and not old farts like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Don't have any platinum points myself but apparently if you have 600 you can get this glow in the dark keychain for just the postage (3 euro). Pretty cool.

https://store.nintendo.ie/en/glow-in-the-dark-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-keychain-000000000010012008

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doing the first of the regional phenomena missions too, I'm at the end of it now but needed to travel back to Hyrule for more supplies as I ran out of something you need.

Really enjoying this, but the one thing in this game I really do not like is the combat. It feels almost impossible to parry, like it doesn't register properly. Same with jumping to dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe it's the joycons, which can be awkward or latency on the TV. I have noticed it being unresponsive sometimes, in both game mode and regular modes on my TV. I use a pro controller.

Link moves a little too slowly for me. Link was always a bit clunky in the 3D games, whereas Mario would be a lot more responsive. But I think that's down to less work for the Mario game engine to do. Also link has to move more "realistically".

Also, I find the horses useless in both BOTW and TOTK. There are faster and more interesting ways to traverse.

I'm playing with no HUD, just occasionally pointing link in the general direction I need to go on the map. It's way more immersive, for me, that way. And in non game mode for much smoother graphics.

It really is a beautiful, inventive and relaxing game.

Don't really want to check out this thread anymore as it's spoiler territory now. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Only a week into general release and stuff like this is coming up. Considering BOTW had a more limited toolset available and I was seeing new stuff that surprised me just last week, what on earth are we going to be seeing in a few years time here?

I don't even understand what I'm watching here?! I'm still sticking horns to rusty blades and think I'm the bees knees 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bit of a spoiler about a field mid boss.

Heading towards kakarikk village. Went exploring and got assaulted but a gloom creature with 4 arms. Got murdered until I went up on a rock and pelted the arms with bomb arrows. Thought I was clever.

Then a boss health bar appears. Phantom Ganon. Was destroyed and then noped straight out of that area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cleaner in emergency shelter: "Hi, would you mind checking out this small hole in the wall?"

Me: "Sure, that'll be a nice little short mission to wrap things up before turning off the game for the night"

*one hour and two dozen rock hammers later*

Me: "Ah here"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ended up in a bit of the depths that can, and I don’t say this lightly, go **** itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Gotta be using the bomb arrows for the larger rock formations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That area was so big and had so many multi-layered rock formations I actually started running out of bomb arrows - and I had a few dozen in my inventory when I started 😅

Over 10 million sales in three days. Pretty remarkable for a game available on a single platform!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭eggy81

They’ve grown up flying through Fortnite and the like. Flicking through stuff on autopilot is easy for them. I’m like you. Reading everything and missing things and full of doubt about what I’m at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A platform that has been decried, criticised and basically scoffed at since it came out. I'm no Nintendo fanboy but it's always remarkable the way people keep underestimating them as a serious & competent commercial force. They make stupid decisions yes - colossally large ones - but like Disney I'd never bet against them either.

Continually sidetracked by just another thing on the horizon in TotK and am continually baffled by the spicy takes that Totk or BotW were empty — like, what exactly are they looking for to consider it 'full' or whatever? It can't just be because it's not a Ubisoft/CDPR-style open world, right?

Will have the whole map opened up by bedtime tonight. Great way to play the game. Out of my depth in places, cant actually do a few shrines the way I am at the moment.

Will go back to the main story then. Once Ive a few travel points open in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Loving the game, really getting the BOTW vibe after picking up the paraglider, but can safely say I've just about had enough of getting one-shotted by a ****ing moblin with a ****ong rock on a stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Strikes me that what Nintendo gets exactly right with BOTW and TOTK is tone or atmosphere; there's just something inherently satisfying about wandering around Hyrule that I don't think I've experienced in other open world games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly think a lot of the criticism is fanboy based and these people either had an agenda to hate on it before it came out or haven't even played it. There's some genuine concerns about the games (I can even understand the weapon degradation anxiety that people might have despite it not making a difference, I've found it tough to play games when there's permanent consequences to your actions even though it's very obvious they've been balanced to give the illusion of you being on the edge of a soft lock) but a lot of the criticisms are out right nonsense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Whatever about botw (I did feel it was a bit sparse, that game just rubbed me the wrong way tbh), totk has plenty of things to distract you on your travels and the new abilities make the journey more interesting - it's much more engaging than botw in that sense. Don't know how folks are able to persevere with games like The Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed with their millions of quests.

This is incredible. Theres caves and chasms and islands all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a way to fuse items you're not holding to arrows? Like fusing a bomb barrel to an arrow before firing, if you don't have bombs.

And great sales numbers.

You could probably write a thesis about the difference in approaches between TotK and other open-world games - it's basically every detail in the game design. But the art design plays a huge part. The game's sight lines and visual language is wholly designed to draw your attention towards things of interest, and the fact the game has a minimalist map means you're never quite sure what you're going to find. Then there's the fact there's usually a puzzle aspect to actually getting places in the first instance. No game does exploration as well, even something like Eldne Ring.

Personally, I think the powers in TotK are much more engaging for me than BotW - I adored that game too, but the ways these ones are so clearly designed to aid exploration / puzzling and to encourage curiosity puts this in another league to its already genre-defining predecessor.

And while I'd no doubt love to see a next-gen Zelda, I actually think in some ways a more pared-back visual language and technical limitations benefit this game immensely. Modern, graphically intensive AAA games are so dense with high-fidelity detail and graphical effects it's sometimes harder to parse the environment. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 4K / 60 FPS version of this game too, but the fact that I can easily be cannoned into the air and use the telescope to check out many kilometres of gameworld makes it easier to spot areas of interest organically.

I missing bombs though. Was a big bomb guy in BOTW

You still have bombs, just the bombs are resources now and you've to really hunt for them.

I think the best thing about the powers in TotK is they carry out pretty much the same functions as the powers in BotW but add even more utility. Bombs are supplanted by bomb plants and fuse. The magnetism is now ultrahand, as is stasis. The ice power was kind of a nothing power in the original so it's not missed and you can now build boats in TotK. I adored BotW but it had issues but this is BotW on steroids and (still early game) fixes the main issues I had with enemy variety while expanding the map massively.

I miss unlimited bombs on demand. Its the only thing so far I miss.

• Advertisement

It's flabbergasting more than anything this is sort of bit of wishy-washy criticism that spreads. If its vastness or its quests aren't for you, fine, more power to you but to say stuff like the map is empty is a head-scratcher.

Advertisement