Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croi Conaithe (Towns) - Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

It’s also 10 years if it’s being rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Adding to what @Furze99 posted you are entitled to draw down SEAI grands as well which could add another 30k or more to the pot.

The main provisio being nothing can be grant aided twice. So for example if you apply for SEAI grant for Windows or insulations it cannot be included in the final 70k vacant house grant costing send in.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Joebobs

thanks seen that (SEAI..) but understand internal/external insulation requires the property meeting a BER of B2 after work...that can result in in allot of money over Grant value to get it to that B2. thats my understaning but obviously no harm is getting someone to look at it and giving an idea of cost to do the whole job

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but understand internal/external insulation requires the property meeting a BER of B2 after work

not exactly.

The B2 requirement comes from the "major renovation" aspect of Part L of teh building regulations.

reaching B2 will show compliance straight out, but there is another route to compliance. its called the "cost optimal" route.

for example, getting a 1980's house from a D2 to a B2 may not be very difficult, or costly, but getting an 1800's G rated house to B2 might take a huge financial investment and require major works carried out. Therefore to allow for this discrepancy there is this "cost optimal" route.

teh actual building regulation states:

When a dwelling undergoes major renovation, the minimum energy performance requirement of

the dwelling or the renovated part thereof is upgraded in order to meet the cost optimal level

of energy performance in so far as this is technically, functionally and economically feasible.

the individual upgrade targets are listed here:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Has anyone any experience getting the legal documents for the charge sorted with Haven?

We are applying for the grant and wondering about this part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sue191

Hi had the final inspection about a month ago. The total cost came to an estimated 89K. Initial quote for the roof restructuring went from 23K to 31K, plumbing 15.5K, plastering 5K and carpentry and interior work including tiling about 12K. We are under serious pressure from the tradespeople waiting for payment from from the council, signed at the Solicitors last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sue191

Hi we stayed with the original tradespeople, it has been very difficult to arrange with all the individual tradespeople instead of having say a one stop shop. Final inspection was a month back, paperwork back to the solicitor last week, now waiting upon the council.

Thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donny1978

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am in sale agreed on a house. Previous owner passed away in August 2022. If the process of buying the house runs for another 3 months or so and i wont be in a position to move into the house until September 2024.

Would the house be eligible for the vacant homes grant in September 2024, even if the purchase went through during the 2 year period but we haven't moved in.

• Advertisement

As long as you do not move into the house yes it would be. Make sure to get a declaration from the vendor that it was vacant form then when contracts are signed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭986s

Also in a similar position- sale agreed on a property that has been vacant for a year and a half at this stage. It’s a probate sale due to the passing of the previous owner so might take another month or two to complete the process. Have heard conflicting information re the vacant grant- I remember reading that you shouldn’t intentionally leave the property vacant so you can get the grant- would 3-4 months from taking ownership of the property to the full 2 year limit fall under this?

Does the house need to be in poor shape to obtain the grant? It’s a BER of D1 and some of the wooden floors downstairs have lifted/warped due to the lack of constant heating but it’s no way un habitable. Of course I plan on spending a significant amount (greater than 100k) in improving the house so can easily prove the amount of works required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 M158

Hello, please can you add me to the WhatsApp group

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dancork7

Anyone manage to confirm what the threshold % that needs to be retained is to qualify?

I queried what % of the existing structure had to be retained and was informed by the council “there are no hard and fast rules”.

Have a derelict property. Meet all derelict property grant criteria except a fundamental one in that it’s a former wooden summer chalet and falling down so all walls and roof need to be demolished. The foundations may be salvageable.

Don’t want to waste time applying for this grant, money and design a house to retain elements of the structure if there is no hope in getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maria.hegarty

Yep i had to get an engineer to submit the refurbishment plans to the council.

Oh my god this is all shocking to read. Im in the same situation my nerves are gone. Going around in circles

I used personal loans as im 59 couldn't get a mortgage. But now i cant afford to pay upfront for the refurbishment

Totally agree its heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cecelia2024

@natc Interested to hear if you've heard back from Haven? I have a mortgage in principle with them and would hope to avail of this grant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

I received the funding from the council and while I was applying for the grant I was informed by the council that I could not apply for any other grant unless terms and conditions have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

I looked long and hard and found people who did the work upfront. Once I showed them the letter of approval after receiving the quotes some of them reluctantly agreed. I am aware that there are one stop shop companies emerging to align with this grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dr.Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mousie32

Hi there, we are drawdown stage now. A quick question to anyone that has received the grant - how long did it take for the burden to be registered to the folio? It was lodged last Wednesday and it is 'Waiting Attention' when I check on Land Direct. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Can I ask about this as I have been approved and almost finished so I'm just finishing up the documentation to submit.

So If I'm using the SEAI grant for windows and doors it gives you 4K for windows and €800 per door so €5,600 in total. My windows and doors are coming in at 27K so can I include €21,400 in the grant with the final receipts or exclude it?

No AFAIK if you draw the SEAI grant fir the windows all that invoice is sterilised it cannot go against the vacant house grant

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

@Mousie32 Interested in this. I was looking to check the transfer of ownership on mine which was lodged since last August and still awaiting attention. I contacted Land Direct and they said they couldn't give me a timeline but my solicitor assures me all is OK re ownership as the relevant docs have been signed and this will suffice as proof of ownership. I'm also set up with Revenue to pay the LPT when the house is livable so that also should satisfy the CoCo for ownership. I would like Land Direct to do what they have to do though for peace of mind. Grateful for anyone's advice on that.

AFAIK solicitors constantly give undertaking's regarding that this is in progress along with copy of contract. Registering with Land Reistery takes months. Its similar with mortgages solicitors give undertakings. Ilaa qwll they can give copy of the stamp duty certificate paid to revenue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

@Bass Reeves thank you for the info. I have the cert from revenue for the stamp duty and I'll be paying LPT too so I think those docs will suffice in addition to the solicitor's letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Hass anyone had experience of using evidence other than utility bills as proof of vacancy?

For example death cert, probate, length of sale process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Throwdown

Hi all, does anyone know if the whatsapp group mentioned is still going and how i'd go about joining?

Thanks.

Advertisement