Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croi Conaithe (Towns) - Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seai or “major renovations” as part of the building regulations is irrelevant to our situation.

may i ask why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 refurbgrant

In the process of applying for derelict grant , couple of major things at the moment that I need some advice on , #1 how is the presence of asbestos going to come into play in what I suspect will be a lot of homes ? . Detection , removal etc , is this mentioned in grant ? #2 how detailed does the engineering/ architectural report need to be to classify it as derelict?

Post edited by refurbgrant on

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

The engineer needs to take detailed photos of the property with underlined statements defining why it is classified as a derelict property. The asbestos is covered under the subsection described in hazardous material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 refurbgrant

Thanks for info , i appreciate your response!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

Hi Miss123,

I'm looking at a derelict property in Longford but afraid to make offer in case I don't get grant, read earlier councils won't entertain requests of what information would be required. Would estate agent have all the info, signed declaration & a copy of last ESB bill from owners especially if ESB won't entertain you regarding GDPR. Why would that even be a requirement given the state of some of these houses. Can understand newer homes pre 2007 as these are not that old and would be in better condition and better chance of owners pre sale still being young enough and able to access bill online which could be forwarded on via solicitor with letter stating vacancy dates.Also what was inspector like..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shivvykxoxo

Hi everyone. A Whatsapp group has been created for all of us who’ve applied/thinking about applying for this grant. If you have any questions someone is bound to know the answer or point you in the right direction. If anyone wants to be added please send me a direct message with your mobile number and I can add you. There’s about 50 people in it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭KJK1LL3R

Good morning folks, I am interested in a property, the estate agent has already confirmed in writing via email that is has been vacant for 5 years as the original owner spent their final years in a nursing home. I have checked and confirmed that the property was built before 2008. I work for a local authority but I don't believe that would give me any advantages as a potential applicant for the Croí Cónaithe Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant. From looking at photos, the house appears to still be in reasonable condition so I don't imagine it would be eligible for the Derelict grant of €70k but it might be eligible for the Vacant grant of €50k.

I have an upcoming viewing arranged, can you think of any questions I could ask the estate agent which might help give me an idea if the property is likely to qualify for the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant? They have already confirmed that the house has been vacant for 5yrs, but I am wondering if there might be further questions I could ask which might give a stronger case? I’d only really be interested in purchasing the property if I was fairly certain it would meet the criteria for the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant, as I couldn’t afford to renovate otherwise. I'd also be keen to know if there are things that I could be doing now in advance in order to prepare and give things the best possible chance of securing grants as I don't want to miss a potential opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O26VeFcc1ho good video answering some common questions here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brendan30

I have been willed a derelict two story farm house that was on my fathers farm. The house was lived in until 3 years ago but the occupant lived in very meagre conditions and the basic structure of the house is beyond repair. In other words it will be more economical to demolish and rebuild in the new. I contacted the Cavan vacant house officer a few months back and received an information email with all the guidelines and criteria I would have to meet. I tick all the personal qualifications so next comes the list of things I would be allocating the grant money towards. The first three things on the application form are, foundations, structural walls and roofing. The basics of a house. So I called the vacant house officer to clarify exactly what would be needed next with regards architect’s and engineers plans, reports etc but I have been formally told that I cannot claim the grant if I demolish and rebuild the house. And I am attempting to rebuild and exact replica of what is currently on site, just with out all the holes and cracks! I have stressed that this house is not structurally sound ( foundations are non existent, the house was just built on top of the field it sits in, there are big cracks in the old gravel/cement walls, roof has big holes with missing slates and rotting timbers so will all need replacing. This work even though it is listed on the application form does not qualify for grant aid I am told. Any suggestions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Signupper

Hey, does anyone know whether you can do work under the SEAI grant during the vacant house grant application/process? Is there any stipulation that you have to finish one before starting the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

My understanding is once you are crystal clear in your application that the works being applied for have not commenced, you can continue to do other works which are not being claimed for under the vacant homes grant i.e. SEAI related grant works .... obviously it would be important that this is clearly evident upon inspection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Walshy933

Apologies, but could someone explain this aspect of the grant to me? This is the clawback agreement correct? If you end up selling the house before 10 years, do you not just pay the local authority back the amount owed from your own pocket?

I don’t understand having to get the bank involved. I currently have a loan offer from the bank but am waiting to drawdown on the mortgage until probate is finished. I haven’t submitted the application for the vacant home grant yet until I understand the clawback agreement properly.

Information on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peacock_lane

The requirement to have it registered on the deeds is to prevent you disappearing with the proceeds of the sale and not repaying them. This way the Council get paid from the proceeds as part of the sale and you get the balance. It makes total sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 heddie77

We have had this issue also we just got the legal charge registered on our mortgage but because it's a 2nd mortgage basically my solicitor raised queries and now payment is delayed. It's a total pain and should change the rules this clawback is a very grey area alot of people will come into hassle with as its another mortgage and if you want to re mortgage within the 10 years the council grant will become first legal charge

We got approval consent letter from perm tsb

We got house but didn't start works until got approved as you are not allowed 5o have works started which is ridiculous as they make you wait so long got payment we applied almost a year ago and still not paid and have done everything required

I would wait until you have the mortgage got and paid out before you look for the legal charge approval

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annettedub

Afternoon everyone, first time poster here. We applied for the derelict homes grant over a month ago now (Dublin City Council). The place we've bought is in a fairly terrible condition and hasn't been lived in for a few years (hubby and architect removed the toilet too so that helps!) so I'm hopeful we will get the grant. I rang them today to ask how much time we will have to wait for an inspection and didn't get any joy whatsoever. I was told that they have so many applications that they are subcontracting to a third party to do some of the inspections. I don't know whether that is a good or a bad idea.

Our drawings are nearly ready to go out to building contractors for bids (that will be the shocking bit I imagine)...but we can't start anything until the inspector sees the place so we have no idea of a timeline and we are out of our rental at the end of September so...more stress to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aeks

Same boat as you brendan30. I want to do an old farmhouse. The roof has fallen in and the front wall leans out 2ft..No foundations, Stone are just on top of the earth and as can be expected rising damp even in the internal walls in wet weather. Same footprint is adequate if only they would allow a rebuild but the answer is no demolition no rebuild. Who could represent us to get that changed as the fact our houses aren't a better form of dereliction we are excluded from the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aeks

Same boat as you brendan30. I want to do an old farmhouse. The roof has fallen in and the front wall leans out 2ft..No foundations, Stone are just on top of the earth and as can be expected rising damp even in the internal walls in wet weather. Same footprint is adequate if only they would allow a rebuild but the answer is no demolition no rebuild. Who could represent us to get that changed as the fact our houses aren't a better form of dereliction we are excluded from the scheme.

Citizens advice definition of a derelict house is

• Structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or
    • The neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or of structures on it, or
    • The presence, deposit or collection of litter,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Christae1989

Bit off topic but has anyone any suggestions of someone who will insure a vacant property during renovation for public liability, building supplies ect

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

Hi All. finding this thread very informative so thanks to all. Hoping someone might be able to advise me. How can I prove vacancy if house was never connected to Electricity or utilities? House has not been lived in for 40/50 years as is derelict. I was thinking an LPT statement from Revenue might suffice or does anyone have any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annettedub

You could get an affidavit from the previous owners or neighbours to state that it was never lived in? (or hasn't for the past 40/50 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Soshin17

Anyone apply for the grant while living outside Ireland? I have a vacant house that I am doing up and will live in full-time when I return home. Not sure if I should put my foreign address on the form or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭gooner99

Not sure about that aspect. But one thing to note if that if you engage a contractor you have to submit their tax clearance on completion. If you go the diy route and submit material invoices, then I believe you have to submit your own tax clearance, which may be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 somewhereovertherainbow

can anyone explain the legal charge that is causing problems with the banks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 somewhereovertherainbow

Can you please explain the legal charge issue that is causing problems with the banks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

seems to be a pure joke. jumping through all sorts of hoops and then still may not qualify. typical of this irish government, talking through their hats. launching this scheme with big fanfare and then in reality its almost impossible to qualify with all the BS terms and conditions.

• Advertisement

It's an absolute nightmare! We are at end and charge has been done still no payment and we are expecting a huge legal bill as had to go over and back a few times the council have changed the templates etc... we have been approved since nov 2022 so don't hold your breath. Also have borrowed serious amount of money and the grant won't cover half of it.

Advertisement