Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croi Conaithe (Towns) - Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I've never done anything like this before no no clue about costing. I've an old farmhouse not lived in since 1970s but it has water going to back door tap and electricity. No toilet and windows just about staying in.ive been patching up roof slates myself(slates falling off).

The whole roof needs to be redone, chimney repair, windows, doors, floors, plastered, rewired, install septic some form of heating etc

How much does the grant cover for a basic refurbishment.

I'm literally thinking of doing a basic refurbishment.. on a old 2 story stone farm house? 20%, 50%... 70%?? Trying to get an idea of money involved. I would not be too handy but likely do painting myself.

Approx size of farm house(house is showing on griffith's valuation maps so it's old) 20ft x 46ft, 2story house(2nd story added I believe in 1940s)

Would say €1500 per square meter give an good idea of costing?

Post edited by MikeSoys on

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

@MikeSoys If you have been vacant for 2 or more years you can get €50k, if it has been deemed derelict for 2 or more years you can get €70k

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Thanks yes defo should get €50k .. I believe it should cost around €1,600-€2000 a sq meter to do a proper refurbishment. So will do costing research to see cost vs affordability

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Joebobs

can i ask how did you get on? can i ask how much over the 50k the estimate was. im trying to work out potential costs ...

you think it will cost you another 70k on top of the grant? 😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 All Seeing

Hi @westsidestory ,

I'm just wondering if you ever found an answer for this?

Like you I am wondering if it done pro rata etc

Thanks!

Hi @sue191,

Just wondering, did you change the builder you used to do the work after approval from the ones you used for the individual quotes you initially submitted?

If so, were there any issues or complications when doing this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

hello, 

someone said about this grand to me, its seems good chance to do up a future home...

I own a small one bed appartment in dublin; bought back 8 years ago. i work for a company in the city; use it if i need to be in the office (1 or 2 days week) Ive used it sometimes as a weekend stayovers also. i wfh the rest of the time at my parents house close to the derlict farmhouse.

prob not but would anyone think I can avail of this grant and still hold onto appartment without having to rent it? I would like to live in the farmhouse as it would be a 3 bed and also hold onto appartment (for work)- i know now it sounds but sure others are in the same boat. As I pay LPT on the appartment i assume from revnue/grant perspective its probably deemed a 'principal private residence'?-ive no idea.

would this be a question for revenue or my local authority? if I pay LPT on a property i guess that is deemed my 'principal private residence', even if im only actually there a small amount of time. many thanks P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Weststar Automatic

I say it would, stone walls all damp. New floor tearing up the old floor. New windows new roof insulation. etc. I have not gotten an an professional quote or anything. I have given up on getting this grant because it would not work for me. If you could get some of the money for work that you finished and more time to get it done that would be suitable for me. I understand that croí conaithe have their reasons for the way that they are setting the rules. Its a great idea and I hope that it will work and help young families get a house

I see stone walls on the house and inside (where plaster has fallen off) has allot of red bricks used around windows and chimneys ..

I'd say I could clear it out full myself (one skip at a time) and save a few euro.

• Advertisement

Is flooring included in the grant? I don't see it referenced anywhere it the information regarding what is covered but I find it strange considering what else is included in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

anyone know if this scheme has a closing date?..i know job needs to be completed in 13 months. but didnt see anything about a end of the scheme.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The spirit of the grant is to " refurbish vacant and derelict homes ", but it does seem to allow for an element of demolition. Does anyone know how much of an existing old structure can be demolished? 10% 50%? 90%? 95%?

The documentation appears vague, eg see the bottom of page 10 of the government website on the grant.

I'm just wondering to settle a friendly argument I had with a builder over a cup of tea, when the subject of the grants came up : I told him the grant was only for people to refurbish existing vacant and derelict homes. He pointed out someone working in the council who bought an old cottage in an urban area, kept a tiny part of one wall ( it is even on the planning ) but is building a fancy new home on the site of the existing old cottage. He said this is Ireland, he reckons he is getting the grant.

So to settle the argument, does the council publicise a list of those who get the grant? There are a few pints on the bet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

The government publicises a list of recepients of other grants eg some covid grants. No big deal. Sometimes even small businesses on their websites state if they have received grants and what grants and from whom. No big secret. I think if someone gets say 70k from the taxpayer it should not be a state secret : in the interests of transparency there should be a list somewhere where people can check, same as people can check everything on planning files : no GDPR issues there. If people have nothing to hide there would not be an issue.

At the very least, some clarity on how much of an existing old structure can be demolished would be nice? 10% 50%? 90%? 95%?

It stinks to heaven if someone can knock 80% or 95% of an old cottage and get the grant and someone else can not.

It seems to me that whoever worded the grant had one job to do, but they made a mess of it? It appears from talking to a builder that up and down the country there are people who could have got the grant not getting it, and other people who should not have got the grant but who are getting it?

Would there be builders/architects etc out there who would manage the whole renovation? What kinda money would you think they charge in midlands ... 8-10% of the renovation cost?or something .. who would manage the whole thing...dealing with electritins, roofers, plasterers etc... Thanks

Why would they, farmers tams 2 shed grants were not published so why change. But farmers annual grant amounts are published though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Farmers shed grants are published under Cap Beneficriaries

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

it would be under investment in physical assets

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The question remains:  should someone who buys an old cottage in an urban area, kept part of one wall ( it is even on the planning ) and who is building a fancy new home on the site of the existing old cottage, be able to get the grant?

Some say yes, there is scope in the grant for demolition. How much demolition is open to debate.

Some say no, it is against the spirit of "Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant".

If you had an old chair and you just kept one leg of the chair and replaced everything else, you would not say you were refurbishing the old chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Triggers brush! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12 c_donno

Just to add to the confusion of this thread, has anyone watched room to improve the other night? There was a young couple renovating a house near the Rock of Cashel. The house they started with (1960s or so bungalow) appeared to be in good enough nick albeit cold. It appears that they got the full 70k grant as there were strutural issues. The house was far from derilict.

On the grant application form it says "an independent report prepared by an appropriately qualified professional is required to be submitted along with the application confirming that the property is derelict."

Any thoughts anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Read the room to improve forum that episode slated, like who pays 303 for a derelict property that was lived in.

An embarasingly low amount of people around the country it seems have succeeded in getting the grant, but it would be interesting to know who does get it. After all, grants and spreadsheets of grants / payments to farmers are publicised.

Can someone elsewhere in the country who bought an old cottage in an urban area, and is keeping a part of one wall ( it is even on the planning ) but is building a fancy new home on the site of the existing old cottage, get the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Advice I was given was put everything in the application and don't overthink it. Found local council staff here very helpful and willing to answer all enquiries and in no rush to finish phone calls. The scheme was just up and running at that stage so may be more time pressures now. I called in to their office when giving all the quotes and they made sure I had everything included.

Have not applied for money yet as we are in our house now a good while and still bits to do.

EDIT: Council guy that came to inspect house prior to work commencing mentioned that the house has to be properly habitable when applying for grant. Seems a little vague as to the level of finish but won't worry overly. My bigger concern is the low level of grants paid out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Does anyone have any tips on how to confirm 2yr vacancy, have a property that was repossessed by a bank in 2019 (confirmed on folio/title plan) and I don't believe its been lived in since then, due to its poor condition

• Don't have any previous ESB bills or contact with prior owner due to repossession
    • However, the electricity is still turned on as the lights work (not sure how that's possible if bills aren't being paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 selfbuild2022

Hi, a friend of mine signed an affidavit and this was considered legal proof the house was vacant. Might be worth researching this option.

Would anyone know contractors/builders who would know about this grant in detail to maximise it. looking to renovate an old derelict farm house. no extensions planned but needs septic tank, prob new roof, doors, windows, re-do electrictics, floors,new bathroom/kitchen chimney work etc Cavan area(Crosserlough). thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If it's derelict, shouldn't be a problem re maximising - you either get the grant of €70K or you don't. Talk to the relevant staff in Cavan County Council. Note as per title of thread, houses in towns/ villages seem to be more acceptable. You have to put up all the money and finish the build, have it habitable before you can draw down the grant. Has to be primary residence for 10 years, 5 if it's being rented.

Advertisement