Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Why didn't cancel culture happen in Ireland?

• 04-08-2022 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ badabing106

Usually when culture changes happen in California, they then happen in the UK, then in Ireland

When cancellation culture happened in the UK, they were throwing statues into rivers. It didn't happen here?

Why didn't it happen here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

Cos we do begrudgery instead! That way nobody needs to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ BaywatchHQ

Joe Brolly got cancelled from RTE and the Claire Bryne show but I don't blame them.

It does exist but it isn't as obvious, for example I was banned from Reddit Ireland for starting a discussion about Irish incels, it wasn't even an aggressive post. I also was banned from the main GAA forum for mentioning autism. I also was banned from another GAA forum because I explained the reasons why I don't like ladies football. The mods hounded me after that.

Incel lives matter

"What doesn't kill you makes you permanently damaged."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

We have rather a lot less statues of Confederates or slave owners. And plenty of statues were blown up (or buried or just removed) here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭ TheIrishGrover

People think they're so great being "cancelled" mumble mumble grumble grumble...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ CGI_Livia_Soprano

Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.

“Part of the reason Bezos and Musk are pursuing space travel is for resource mining on the moon and throughout the solar system. Once thats accomplished , important resources become abundant again, facilitating many more centuries of growth.” - boards.ie user Cognitive Dissident, 26/06/2022

#bekind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭ HBC08

Because although there are many,many gobshites among us we are still a reasonably intelligent and decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ Fugue

It's not that cancel culture doesn't exist, it's always been around - it's just been given a stupid name and treated like a new phenomenon.

Public figures' careers have always been damaged by saying or doing something that causes outrage, leading to studios/agencies no longer wishing to work with them - sometimes with good cause. Michael Richards (Kramer in Seinfeld), Mel Gibson and Sinead O'Connor come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ Still stihl waters 3

All but the first 2 are still in the public eye regularly, you're talking bollox, and the first 2 tossers are more than welcome to stay wherever the fcuk they ended up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭ Fr Tod Umptious

Regardless of what you may think of them they both lost their careers destroyed (for now anyway) based on allegations that have not stood up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭ StupidLikeAFox

You think cancel culture is a new thing? Ask Alan turing about that!

If anything it's a lot milder now than it ever was, years ago if you were cancelled you probably died in poverty and shame. Now they will give you a slot on gb news and you get 50k new followers on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,787 ✭✭✭✭ Larbre34

An erudite polemic if ever there was one.

Look out The Oxford Union!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ CGI_Livia_Soprano

You’re just listing people who haven’t been cancelled. 🙄

Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.

“Part of the reason Bezos and Musk are pursuing space travel is for resource mining on the moon and throughout the solar system. Once thats accomplished , important resources become abundant again, facilitating many more centuries of growth.” - boards.ie user Cognitive Dissident, 26/06/2022

#bekind

I agree with you, no one should have been treated like that and lose their livelihood, can't stand them tho but wouldn't wish it on them either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭ y0ssar1an22

all those folk in mayo (i think) during covid got cancelled (cos of the media outcry).

i would say it doesnt happen here much cos there is really only 1 main broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer so they have to remain impartial (for the most part, they certainly softly push some agendas).

we dont realise how much influence the media has, and in the US its on another level. so if CNN (for example) pushes a story (usually with lots of hyperbole) the sheep will follow suit onto twitter, the persons employer, sponsors, etc.

the mob aint satisficed till they see 'blood'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

Only if you go out of your way to make it up. And for your version to work, we’d have had to have no unpopular figures in the past, not to mention the absence of protest, marches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ maninasia

They got cancelled, especially Kevin Myers.

Veteran journalist, always edgy ,maybe said a few things over the top that he might apologise later for or reflect on, but did he deserve lose his career, be cancelled off the airwaves and broadsheets?

He even had Jewish groups say he wasnt an anti semite but to no avail. I think he should have been given a,chance to move on. The punishment was far worse than the sin.

Read the newspapers and look at the national airwaves, full of bland talking points. Its left or left left of center. Thats it. Theres no public figures on the right of center to get cancellled even. Where is the Irish Piers Morgan? Doesn't seem to exist. At least the British provide different viewpoints and debate more openly. Piers got cancelled a couple of times but he is still kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cheese sandwich

The Irish media and wider establishment practice groupthink so as long as people don’t step out of line they won’t be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ olestoepoke

The Sean Russell statue comes to mind. It has been vandalised several times, decapitated and completely replaced. More recently some idiots painted the colours of the rainbow on it. Claire Byrne cancelled/cut Joe Brolly off live on tv for telling the truth. George Hook was cancelled for showing his age with a silly comment.

It may not be to the same extent as the US or UK but it does happen here.

Advertisement