Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why didn't cancel culture happen in Ireland?

• 04-08-2022 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

Usually when culture changes happen in California, they then happen in the UK, then in Ireland

When cancellation culture happened in the UK, they were throwing statues into rivers. It didn't happen here?

Why didn't it happen here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

It got cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cos we do begrudgery instead! That way nobody needs to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

We were getting rid of statues long before it became sanctified and acceptable to do so

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Joe Brolly got cancelled from RTE and the Claire Bryne show but I don't blame them.

It does exist but it isn't as obvious, for example I was banned from Reddit Ireland for starting a discussion about Irish incels, it wasn't even an aggressive post. I also was banned from the main GAA forum for mentioning autism. I also was banned from another GAA forum because I explained the reasons why I don't like ladies football. The mods hounded me after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We have rather a lot less statues of Confederates or slave owners. And plenty of statues were blown up (or buried or just removed) here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Cancel culture doesn’t exist.

Wealthy public figures can’t deal with negative reactions from ordinary people on social media so they peddled this “cancel culture” myth in order to make useful rightwing idiots on the internet think that there is a massive “far left” conspiracy against their heroes. It’s all a load of culture war rubbish cooked up to get thickos on the right foaming at the mouth.

It’s similar to the trans high-end athlete “debate,” it effects less than 1% of 1% of people and yet the drooling right wing doofuses on the internet are falling over themselves crying about men in wigs playing women’s basketball. Meanwhile the ruling classes are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

People think they're so great being "cancelled" mumble mumble grumble grumble...

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes Nelson's Column taken out long before it became fashionable 😁

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think it has to do with the fact that despite years of bombardment of pathetic "culture wars" rubbish from the USA, the vast majority of Irish people are relatively well-balanced and grounded and simply don't buy into this "cancel culture" or "woke" or "MGTOW/incel" etc. rubbish.

As another poster here opined, the numbers directly involved are actually tiny and the internet/social media just hypes this guff up to a ridiculous degree.

Meanwhile the rest of us just get on with our lives and have far more important things to be concerned about.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭HBC08

Because although there are many,many gobshites among us we are still a reasonably intelligent and decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Economics101

Kevin Myers, John Waters? I know many people my despise them, but that's the very point. Some of the Media will just bury people they don't like.

And no, I don't necessarily agree with them, but again, that's the very point.

De facto cancel culture is alive and well in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It did.

In years past, Al Porter and Eoghan McDermott would have been cheered on for being 'characters', for the allegations against them. As it was, they got cancelled professionally and socially, before any due process had played out.

The 2 Johnnies just about got away with it. Its been attempted with others like Glenn Hansard over suggested impropriety, Tommy Tiernan over Traveller jokes, Davy Fitz for being a little bollix, Twink for being Twink etc etc etc.

In a spiteful begrudging little Country like Ireland, you'd better feckin believe cancel culture is alive and well.

It's not that cancel culture doesn't exist, it's always been around - it's just been given a stupid name and treated like a new phenomenon.

Public figures' careers have always been damaged by saying or doing something that causes outrage, leading to studios/agencies no longer wishing to work with them - sometimes with good cause. Michael Richards (Kramer in Seinfeld), Mel Gibson and Sinead O'Connor come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

All but the first 2 are still in the public eye regularly, you're talking bollox, and the first 2 tossers are more than welcome to stay wherever the fcuk they ended up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Regardless of what you may think of them they both lost their careers destroyed (for now anyway) based on allegations that have not stood up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You think cancel culture is a new thing? Ask Alan turing about that!

If anything it's a lot milder now than it ever was, years ago if you were cancelled you probably died in poverty and shame. Now they will give you a slot on gb news and you get 50k new followers on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An erudite polemic if ever there was one.

Look out The Oxford Union!

You’re just listing people who haven’t been cancelled. 🙄

• Advertisement

I agree with you, no one should have been treated like that and lose their livelihood, can't stand them tho but wouldn't wish it on them either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

all those folk in mayo (i think) during covid got cancelled (cos of the media outcry).

i would say it doesnt happen here much cos there is really only 1 main broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer so they have to remain impartial (for the most part, they certainly softly push some agendas).

we dont realise how much influence the media has, and in the US its on another level. so if CNN (for example) pushes a story (usually with lots of hyperbole) the sheep will follow suit onto twitter, the persons employer, sponsors, etc.

the mob aint satisficed till they see 'blood'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

George Hook got cancelled for trying to encourage girls to be safe (but he phrased it wrong)

The 2 Northern Irish Rugby guys got cancelled for texting their mates about girls

Kevin Myers got cancelled for pondering aloud (his job)

Lots and lots of people have had to apologise or back down from having an opinion for BS things they said.

Cancel culture is alive and well here. Not as extreme as some other countries (mainly because there is not as much to "cancel"), but if you become a target here, if you don't follow up with an immediate apology and withdrawal of whatever opinion/mannerism that rubbed certain groups up the wrong way, then you can expect to get a one-way ticket to canceltown.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Only if you go out of your way to make it up. And for your version to work, we’d have had to have no unpopular figures in the past, not to mention the absence of protest, marches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭maninasia

They got cancelled, especially Kevin Myers.

Veteran journalist, always edgy ,maybe said a few things over the top that he might apologise later for or reflect on, but did he deserve lose his career, be cancelled off the airwaves and broadsheets?

He even had Jewish groups say he wasnt an anti semite but to no avail. I think he should have been given a,chance to move on. The punishment was far worse than the sin.

Read the newspapers and look at the national airwaves, full of bland talking points. Its left or left left of center. Thats it. Theres no public figures on the right of center to get cancellled even. Where is the Irish Piers Morgan? Doesn't seem to exist. At least the British provide different viewpoints and debate more openly. Piers got cancelled a couple of times but he is still kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The Irish media and wider establishment practice groupthink so as long as people don’t step out of line they won’t be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Bricriu

What Ireland do you live in, Poster?

Ever hear of writer John McGahern and books of literature being banned in Ireland?

Or Section 31, where the majority of Nationalist leaders in the North were not allowed on any Radio or TV station in the South?

Try voicing an anti-vax opinion or questioning Drag Queens reading to kids on RTÉ and see how it ends up.

Censorship is alive and well in Ireland. Using terms from the US like 'cancelling' just confuses the unthinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The Sean Russell statue comes to mind. It has been vandalised several times, decapitated and completely replaced. More recently some idiots painted the colours of the rainbow on it. Claire Byrne cancelled/cut Joe Brolly off live on tv for telling the truth. George Hook was cancelled for showing his age with a silly comment.

It may not be to the same extent as the US or UK but it does happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or as i heard it described once, consequence culture.

what's different now is that it's harder to bury the fact that you're an unmitigated cock, than it was in the 90s, say.

Advertisement