Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China’s Army posts “Preparing for war!”

Options

Comments

America for all it's faults and it has many is the beacon for democracy for our world

Beacon for democracy my ass. Which is why they've tampered with their own voting system, manipulated other nations democratic processes, propped up dictators, and even squashed populist movements towards democracy in countries they wanted to remain under a particular regime supportive of the US.

The US is no bastion of democracy.. that's always just been a propaganda piece.

Without it pieces of sh1t like Xi and Putin would run riot.

Putin got stopped rather quickly in Ukraine.. and that was without US or Western intervention. China has had a number of border skirmishes over the years, and they haven't won most of them. The simple truth is that most nations are relatively capable of countering countries like Russia or China. Where would China run riot towards? They haven't got a lot of options, and the Asian alliances make any such movements rather risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Taiwan is a democracy.

China is a dictatorship with concentration camps and history of ethnic Cleansing.

How the fcuk are people claiming China has a right to Taiwan.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭MFPM

I was responding to a post, directed your ire there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

During the Iraq war (03), which I was very opposed to, I used any opportunity or excuse to bash the US. I personified the country and it's history as a whole and fell into the trap of irrationally (and fanatically) "taking sides" against that, as opposed to just objectively criticising the Bush administration.

There's plenty to objectively criticise about the Biden admin's policy with China, but I see little of it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Leftist agitators the same ones who secretly support Putin and hate everything good America stands for would love to see China expand it's land mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was under the impression Biden didn’t actually want Pelosi to visit, so his policy with China in this case wasn’t even followed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

China is reacting to the geopolitical situation. Same as Russia.

Check out a map of US based around the world. Both China and Russia are surrounded by them. It’s no wonder they’re worried and trying to ensure that they aren’t entirely encircled.

Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall is an excellent book on why nations act as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

The CCP were too busy waging war against their own people to have time for foreign engagements.

Check out how many Chinese died during the civil war. Then look at the cultural revolution. Then you can follow that up with repressions that followed Tiananmen Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Rawr

Exactly this. Years ago, before Xi came into power, I had started to imagine a potential peaceful solution where Taiwan would actually choose to join with mainland China in a Hong Kong-style 2-systems 1 country model. But now that Hong Kong is clearly being converted into a regular province of mainland China, with all the freedoms of expression they typically don't have, I can't see that working at all.

Taiwan have HK as a clear example of reasons why to keep themselves out of Beijing's control.

Some posters have been doing a tally of the number of wars China has started vs. the US, but counting off international wars is leaving out the conflict that the CCP Government has been engaging in the past 80+ years, the War against it's own people. The CCP want absolute control of their county and have done many terrible things to ensure it. I feel that having a liberal Chinese democracy right across the waters from their lands is part of their motivation to invade. You can't have your people getting silly ideas of choosing their own government, or head of state. Or getting voted out for doing a crap job! Imagine!

The idea that letting the CCP take over Taiwan would somehow lead to peace is nonsense. A PLA conquest of the island would be the stuff of horror, and likely a mirror of what happened in the areas of around Kiev that the Russian's briefly took. Taiwan should absolutely be empowered to defend itself, as the alternative is too horrible to allow happen.

• Advertisement

I agree somewhat. It's complex high level chess moves, and while I fully agree that countries must undertake the unenviable task of having to stand up to Chinese aggression, I think the timing was off.

You might want to check what years are involved there.. whether it's the civil war, the cultural revolution, etc. There's quite a bit of time in-between for China to have gone to war if they wanted to. Arguably it would also have been the best time to do so, due to the reliance on post-ww2 equipment (similar to the Korean war equipment used), and Chinese massed infantry divisions would have been more effective (as they were at the time).

China had no interest in foreign engagements because they had enough to deal with within their own borders. Mao's communism wasn't concerned with the rest of the world, unlike Stalins communism. Different focus.. but not because they didn't have the capability to do so, if they wished.

I was very critical of the US during the Iraq invasion and subsequent occupation. It wasn't an excuse. They deserved the criticism. Just as I was very supportive and full of praise of their involvement in Bosnia.

You don't have to pick a side and stick with them, no matter what. You can look at the behaviour of a nation, especially a superpower, and be critical of what they're doing at any given moment, not because of any dislike of them, but rather the world they've managed to create.

The US has been the world's leading superpower since WW2, and they've set the template for how a superpower behaves internationally. Whether that's intelligence gathering on their Allies leaders (Germany), the installation of pro-capitalist dictators in S.America, the suspension of rights for non-combatants (Guantanamo Bay) or the military commitments over the decades, and the reasons for those military commitments (Vietnam, Iraq, etc).

I have no patience with this Black/White Good/Bad approach some posters here display. They want to ignore what the US has done, so they can pile on China, disregarding the international conditions that went previously. They've no interest in history because it's an inconvenient obstacle to their desire to place the US on the pedestal of the hero, and China as the villain. In every possible situation.

It's far too simplistic. The thread is about China, and Taiwan.. but also about the US involvement in both. The US can't be removed from the discussion, if we want to have an informed conversation.. but that's the point. Those posters don't want such a conversation to take place, because it challenges their simplistic/lazy view of the world, and where western nations fit into it.

Pelosi is the Speaker of the House. She's a different part of the political system to the executive. Biden doesn't have the power to "tell" her what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Because everything bad is the West's fault and those lesser people outside the west are just primitive humans reacting to Western aggression.

At least that's the impression that I'm getting from those who are OK with having brown people to chinese re-education camps.

There's an issue on the left and right in terms of backing both Putin and Xi, just for different reasons. And largely reliant on conspiracy theories for the Putin backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Taiwan hasn't been 'ruled' by mainland China since the 19th century. And even then it was barely part of the Qing and more or less do what it pleased bar a few Han outposts on the coast.

Taiwan is functionally independent and has a de jure constitutional history older than the PRC.

The one China policy is a diplomatic fiction that countries play along with so they can sell Chinese housewives handbags and their husbands Volkswagens.

If China wants to go Back to the Future and play Prussian 19th 'realist', here's the reality: if they move on Taiwan, the ROC army has spent 70 years preparing for it and will end the majority of the Chinese navy. What's left of it will be picked off for sport by the US air force. Japan will be back as an assertive military force and their pacifist constitution thrown in the bin. Both them and South Korea likely will step out of the US nuclear umbrella and arm themselves as they see fit.

That's the reality and they can cry into their breakfast congee in impotent rage all they want.

If they want it they will have to spill an ocean of their own blood in the attempt and risk collapsing their country. Those are the stakes.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

The US has been the world's leading superpower since WW2, and they've set the template for how a superpower behaves internationally. Whether that's intelligence gathering on their Allies leaders (Germany), the installation of pro-capitalist dictators in S.America, the suspension of rights for non-combatants (Guantanamo Bay) or the military commitments over the decades, and the reasons for those military commitments (Vietnam, Iraq, etc).

This is the trap I am referring to. People simplify and cherry-pick the worst of a country's history, fall into the trap of personifying that country, then form an irrational stance against it. They associate the policies and actions with that personification, rather than the different administrations.

Based on this they often assume the worst geopolitical intentions based on this "personality" they've assigned to it, they use any opportunity to soapbox/rant about that country's history, they steer away from the key subjects at hand to focus on that country, they pay lip-service to the topic whilst spending inordinate amounts of time "discussing" that country, they gaslight about it, they attempt to project objectivity, etc

When you have individuals who systematically do this, it's very clear what's going on. When they've mentioned Iraq more times than George Galloway has in topics that have nothing to do with it, when they give "the summary speech" about US cold war history for the 20th time and so on - these are just some of the very obvious red flags.

I fully agree, the US is a part of this discussion. Keyword: part.

The main posters on here arguing for China have claimed to be right wing, support BoJo, LePen, trump etc in other threads on here.

This is the trap I am referring to. People simplify and cherry-pick the worst of a country's history, fall into the trap of personifying that country, then form an irrational stance against it. They associate the policies and actions with that personification, rather than the different administrations.

For the most part, irrespective of the different administrations, American foreign policy has been traditional, in that it builds upon and reinforces the policies of past administrations, going back to the desire to bracket in communism, while elevating capitalism (not democracy, capitalism). Trump attempted to change that policy but was blocked from doing so, because that policy is essentially institutionalised within the American culture at this point.

Different administrations have very different approaches to internal affairs.. but when it comes to foreign affairs, the template was set up long ago.

When you have individuals who systematically do this, it's very clear what's going on. When they've mentioned Iraq more times than George Galloway has in topics that have nothing to do with it, when they give "the summary speech" about US cold war history for the 20th time and so on - these are just some of the very obvious red flags.

Except that the US has been at the forefront of geopolicial change since WW2, and their actions has enormous bearing on how other countries behave. In many cases, they've set the precedent in allowing those behaviours, because they did so, without receiving the international condemnation that is usually extended to other countries for doing the same thing. Sure, there are those who go to extremes in pointing out US behaviour, but the opposite is also true, where posters avoid recognising US behaviour like the plague, and refuse to accept the links between their behaviour and that of other nations.

I fully agree, the US is a part of this discussion. Keyword: part.

Exactly. Part of the discussion. As is China, part of it. And Taiwan is part. Hell, S.Korea and Japan are also part of the discussion, because the region of Asia is affected by what is going on.

• Advertisement

Am I a main poster? You won't see me in any threads supporting BoJo, LePen, Trump, etc. While I'm not arguing for China, I'm also not arguing against China.

The point is to recognise the realities involved. Yes, China is dodgy beyond belief, but they're operating in an environment that has been developed by more than just themselves. The US, the western powers, Asian powers, etc have all been part of this for decades.. and are equally responsible for how the region has developed, along with the politics involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Forget about on here im talking about the real world of which this forum most certainly isn't. Leftists have always and will always have a soft spot for eejits like Xi and Putin and a irrational hate for America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't get the laundry lists of American misdeeds, sure if the thread pertains to China, then the us, China, Taiwan relationship is relevant but why is Guantanamo bay or cia operations in South America? All that seems relevant to me is that Taiwan does not consent to rule by the CCP and does consent to relations with the us, including a visit by pelosi. I don't see what the Americans are doing wrong here, they are supporting the decisions of the democratic will of the people of Taiwan.

It's a bit disingenuous to say that Putin was stopped without western intervention. Since 2014 the us alone have invested 11bn and supplied training to help prepare the Ukrainians, again with their consent. Then since the invasion they have been providing intelligence, weapons, more training and economic pressure at a cost to America. People will refute their intentions or motivations but in the end, a sovereign nation asked them for assistance and they assisted and operated within the consent of that nation. This is the difference. The Chinese and Russians do not care about the consent of their targets. If Taiwan voted tomorrow that they would like to merge with the mainland, the Americans would back away peacefully.

It's a bit disingenuous to say that Putin was stopped without western intervention

There was no direct intervention of Western forces in Ukraine, and the useful supply of military hardware began after the invasion. US involvement prior to the invasion came down to Ukraine playing both Russia and the US off each other so that Ukraine could benefit, and there is no real idea of how that investment was spent.. considering the corruption of the country, and the poor state of the Ukrainian military when the invasion happened.

As for rest, it's got nothing to do with what I posted.

I don't get the laundry lists of American misdeeds, sure if the thread pertains to China, then the us, China, Taiwan relationship is relevant but why is Guantanamo bay or cia operations in South America?

It's not. It's relevant to discussions about Chinese actions beyond it's borders. You're taking things out of the context by which they were made.

So a good few of the republican party in the U. S. LePen are all lefties now?

the useful supply of military hardware began after the invasion. US involvement prior to the invasion came down to Ukraine playing both Russia and the US off each other so that Ukraine could benefit, and there is no real idea of how that investment was spent

Just because you cant tell "how the money was spent", doesn't mean that it wasn't an intervention. Even along those lines, I would imagine some of it was used to improve military capabilities of a country that was partially occupied. The Ukrainian military capability improved substantially from 2014-2022. The fact remains that the US were supporting Ukraine before February 24th with financial and training assistance, which can be verified. That directly contradicts your statement that there was no western intervention(you subsequently decided in reply to use the term direct intervention and it is true that they did not directly engage militarily)

You do have a mix of political influences that shaped the region. But since the U.S. started to try and normalise relations with China from the time Nixon visited, which has led to their economic development and the ability to increase their military spending.

• Advertisement

Personification of a country's history. There's no "they", it's not a person with a personality. These are nations with complex politics, run by many different sometimes polar administrations with diverse foreign policies. E.g. Germany is not hypocritical for criticising war because "they" have started wars before. Summarising history and thinking like that is a very slippery slope.

I think you misunderstood my point, certain countries administrations are part of the discussion, not all of the discussion.

Advertisement