Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the the root of this behaviour..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Irish Times piece would seem to indicate he'd have kept his pension even if he was sacked:

'Last night, officials at Garda headquarters were waiting on his resignation letter to arrive as this would negate the need to fire him through the disciplinary process.

Either way, Moody’s pension is safe. “The system wasn’t designed for cases like this,” one official said. “It’s very frustrating.” '

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He was far from a bully in school. Normal kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well, he's the ultimate bully now. And a long way from 'normal'

A monster. And a load of really worse stuff they couldn't publish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What would be worrying me is how many more similar to this person are in the AGS or in other positions of authority who have access to people private information?

Maybe a good thing out of all this is that more of these people are exposed and taken to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't find the original article but have a couple of questions.

When the victim rang the station he worked at and asked to speak to the superintendent his female colleague transferred the call to Moody instead. Has this colleague been disciplined?

When he was barred from the hospital how did the hospital follow this up? Did they contact the guards and refer the victim to a social worker/psychologist or just fill in a report on it? Surely abuse of a cancer patient that lead to Moody being barred from the hospital would trigger alarms? Was that the catalyst to her seeking help?

The article below states he used the Pulse system in his abuse. How is there no proper oversight on this when it contains personal data of crinimals and victims of crime? Was this not supposed to have happened after widespread abuse was revealed in relation to the disappearing driving offences for those lucky enough to know the right people?

The offence (coercive violence/control) was introduced in 2019 and has seen an handful of convictions to date. It emerged last year that at least 21 gardaí had been subject to domestic violence orders since 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bluespecs

Hope they give him a suitable cead mile Failte...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I too thought this monsters sentence was far too lenient never mind 3 years and 3 months he should have got at least 30 years for what he done to that poor Woman and put her through.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Paul Moody was caught because he made a complaint to the gardaí about one of Nicola’s family members, and handed in his phone as part of the investigation. When the phone was examined, detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation realised the crimes he was committing and approached Nicola.

He actually got himself caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Probably people of people thought the same about him as an adult.

Seems it was in secondary school anyway going by the above article. I was referring to him in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

He's going to get a pension!!....this must be the most bizarre ridiculous country on earth.

Ripley's believe it or not should do an episode on Ireland!.

I wonder what state agencies she was critical of? Surely the HSE is one, Moody was barred from the hospital but it doesn't seem to have been followed up in any meaningful way.

I'm delighted that he willingly handed over his phone to try to harrass a member of her family, he obviously thought he was so smart and untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If he only dialled it back a bit he'd have made sergeant.

One way to look at that is you are lucky. You are lucky to have gotten this far in life and maintained such a level of - well some people might call it ignorance or naivety - but you could also call it innocence - that you have not reached a position in life where you can understand something like this.

I can understand parts of it by drawing on other areas of my experience of the darkness of life. But not all of it. So I know what you mean to say it is difficult to understand. Perhaps I should treasure my own innocence sometimes.

It does not help that many people look at any attempt to understand the victim as being "Victim blaming" or any attempt to understand the perpetrator as "seeking to excuse them". It is anything but. The concept of "Taking Ownership" either as a perpetrator, a victim, or an outside observer requires that motivations and incentives and head space get looked at. Understanding and explaining and even empathy - are not and never should be confused with excusing or blaming.

If it helps though - the two norries podcast interviewed Barrister Doireann O'Mahony about her experience of being in an abusive and coercive relationship. She gives quite a raw and open perspective on your question. She puts it well when she says that the interesting question is actually not why the victim keeps going back to such relationships - but how they finally got out of it.

But she does shed a lot of light and perspective on the aspect of going back to it. How a constant erosion of self worth over time can lead the victim to feel they almost deserve it. There is also "shame" which the Two Norries themselves talk about very very often indeed. The shame of events during the dark times can lead people not to seek help and not to break free - and actually falling back into the thing which is causing the shame can in a cyclical way become their only escape from that shame too. Which to us outside seems paradoxical and nonsensical - but is very much their reality.

And the victim in this thread's case might seem vulnerable to us as she was dying of cancer during the experience too. So another angle is to see someone at the height of studying and youth and health - pursuing a relatively high career for our land - so not someone who would instantly strike you as vulnerable - but still caught in a coercive and abusive relationship.

Anyway if it interests you really - it is episode #87 of The Two Norries podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You've taken that poster's comments completely the wrong way. He's a self-confessed serial controller and manipulator himself, the confusion isn't coming from innocence or naïvete, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@[Deleted User] thanks I might give it a go. I have heard similar accounts before but there are some aspects that I cannot comprehend, possibly because I am sometimes lacking the ability to see things from other perspectives.

@Dial Hard True, but having grown up with parents in such a dynamic I am still puzzled because I can’t understand why and how my mother made certain decisions. Maybe I’ll never understand.

Thanks for the heads up but - I can't know that as I know nothing about the user. But even if I did - I generally do not view posts I make on this forum as being directed at the person I am actually replying to. Rather I see it as a group conversation - where I am replying to anyone who might be asking the same things - or thinking the same ways - as the person I am actually replying to.

A motivation for this is I get PMs at times on this site for posts I made 10 or more years ago - saying that my post was exactly what they needed in that moment and they had come across it while searching for certain key words and topics.

As for Manipulators and Abusers - many of them know exactly what they are doing to control their victim. But some of them do not. They might know much of what they are doing is wrong. But they themselves do not always know how what they are doing is achieving it. One manipulator might do X because they know it will help keep the victim coming back. The next might just do X without knowing why and just gain that effect.

So it does irk me a little when I see threads like this where an attempt to look at motivations, incentives, on any side is seen like you must be either "Victim Blaming" or "Perpetrator Excusing". Perhaps some people are doing that. But seeking to understand - even to empathize - should be seen as separate entirely from blaming or excusing.

Just like if we are taking ownership of things in our own life - bad things we might have done - identifying the action or inaction of others in our life as being motivators is not to blame them or excuse ourselves - but to understand that if we want to grow into the best versions of ourselves we might need to understand - and even remove if necessary - some incentives and triggers and sources in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Breaking the law doesn’t have any effect on your pension, not unless it’s going to be used to pay back people after some sort of fraud, or embezzlement.

He, is now, a former Garda so he will get a pension based on his salary and service but it will be effected by his service being cut short.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Well hes going to need his pension. He'll be 43 or maybe 44 when he gets out and unemployable for the rest of his life.

Potential employer Googling Paul Moody.....

I wouldn't be surprised if he's found dead in his cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

"a pension based on his salary and service" thats my point he's getting a pension based on his "service". ie engaging in horrendous criminality and abusing his position.

He should be required to pay back the money he was paid, not given more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, maybe the fact he was a public servant they could do something but I don’t think it would stand up to a legal challenge.

The tide is turning…

No, his abuse of Garda power shouldn't have gone unchecked for so long. He had a colleague transfer his victim's call to him, he used the pulse system for his abuse and harassment, he was barred from a hospital etc., how did all of that go unnoticed over a 2 and a half year period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

What sort of person over the age of 27 has time or energy to write 700 texts in a single day. Is this stuff on the same spectrum as graham dwyer/50 shades of grey? Somewhere between the two? Maybe it was a turn on to be controlling someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He must not have been very busy in work if he was able to send 700 texts in a day, What would that work out at a text every couple of minutes?

Assuming he slept for 6 or 7 hours its about 1 every 40 seconds.

Hes clearly a maniac.

Christ, here's another. He got a 17 year sentence, but didn't plead guilty, had previous convictions and was charged with multiple offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

I never realised we have so many mental health experts on here with good looks and ageless features.

Having said that the "Man" in question here the ex Garda deserves 10 years and a good slapping.

I wish the Woman well in her future and her health. She is free now or at least free from a monster.

Advertisement