Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the the root of this behaviour..

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You'd expect that sentences should definitely be more for abusing a position of authority. Maybe they were in this case. Doesn't seem like a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He looked like he was in his late 40s in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Surely abusing his position as a gard is a criminal offence in its own right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Once someone gets into a relationship with someone who engages in coercive control and other abuse, it can be extremely difficult for them to extricate themselves. It is vital not to get involved with such an abuser in the first place.

I have little sympathy for women who get involved with known violent thugs who then abuse them (e.g the Adrian Crevin Mackin and Pearse McCauley cases) however the guy in this case was a "respectable" Garda. If there were red flags about him, chances are people who knew him kept their mouths shut.

We know from the Maurice McCabe case that there is an Omerta in AGS and it exists in other police forces too. People are rightly wary about going to the police to complain about an officer. The incident with the phone call being transferred is appalling.

What was the woman in this case to do? Get a few lads together to give him (a serving Garda) a hiding?

The only way he will be properly held to account for his actions is if a relative of the woman has nothing to lose/has already reached rock bottom and lies in wait for him for when he gets out from his absurdly short sentence.

• Advertisement

I think a person who behaves like this, to begin with, has had some early very negative influence in life, some authority figure that was abusive. Perhaps a cruel mother who sparked off a deep hatred of women, or a father figure who abused a woman who wasn’t able to show care for the child. Now there are plenty of people who had terrible childhoods who don’t take it out on others later in life, but I reckon it is a continuously growing hatred stemming from childhood that is behind it. Combination of early circumstances and maybe lack of the experience of being loved leading to ever growing hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe there is no explanation some people are just bad.

The reason he looks older than his years in both pictures, is severe anxiety and stress have physical effects on people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Despicable individual, and it shows that there are still a lot of rotten apples in the Gardai that Commissioner Drew Harris has been trying to purge since he took over.

The sentence is definitely too lenient given his powers as a Garda and how he abused these to inflict maximum control and misery on that poor woman. He should have been made an example of to warn other Gardai abusing their powers. He does face a very difficult time in prison however.

As for how he looks, I don’t like to pass remarks on people’s appearances but often I find that when people look a good bit older than their years, as he certainly does, it’s often the result of a combination of genes, bad diet, smoking, alcohol abuse and/or other drugs.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

You are more than likely right about the early negative influence. I would consider myself a very strong person having survived the death of of a child from cancer. However 10 years ago I was in a relationship with someone who was emotionally abusive and coercive. It starts with very small things like why you forgot to buy something on the shopping list, to why you left the car door open ......to why you looked at someone else. Its insidious and creeps up on you. You begin to blame yourself. If you question anything its quickly put back on you and you are made feel like dirt. You try to make the peace each and every time. Everyone around can see what's happening but you don't as its usually in the first flush of love stage that the changes start.

This man had been sexually abused as a child. I tried to fix him through love but its on a different scale of damage. The whole town he was from thought he was a great guy but he was a street angel/ house devil. He went to a counsellor and ended up having an sex with her. I finally got in the car one day and drove away and never came back. Luckily I was strong enough. These abusers can only help themselves, nobody else can fix them. His ex wife had gone through hell l later found out too.

Paul Moody looks evil. There will be no remorse with a man like him. He blamed that poor woman for everything and never once looked at himself. He deserves to get the exact same abuse in jail that he dished out to her. And worse. I only hope this lady recovers and survives. I can't imagine dealing with Stage 4 cancer on top of being with someone like him. That beggars belief.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement

Let’s hope more charges follow but it remains that there were serious failings to the victim in this case - if Gardai are accused of a crime by someone close to them , there needs to be absolute transparency and in this case according to RTÉ, there wasn’t and the prick of a former Garda manipulated the system- rot in hell you pri1ck and enjoy solitary - ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yeah I understand how this works in theory, but I genuinely cannot fathom how someone keeps returning to this life, particularly if they even have children involved.

I doubt he will have a very enjoyable stay in prison though.

So how much more is left on the scale of abuse under this legislation, after this pr1ck in essence ,demonstrated a capability and willingness of what can only be described as attempted death of a cancer patient, by taking away their medication, knowing that person couldn’t pay for more?

What is left in terms of abuse of a woman or partner in order for the sentence to have progressed to the maximum sentence even taking into account a guilty plea?

It’s a fcking insane sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

As sweetmaggie says, it's the result of a type of grooming: where the abuser slowly and insidiously chips away at the abused, to the point where they believe they have nobody else, that nobody else would want them, that they cannot possibly survive without their abuser - they have come to depend on them because this is what the abuser gas-lights them into thinking. They are also ashamed, and don't want people on the "outside" knowing. You don't even need to have been as badly abused as that for this kind of stuff to get into your head, let alone be on the receiving end of the level of abuse this scumbag inflicted.

Yes believe me, I know all of this, but it still fascinates me that this works on people. Particularly once they left, and after the abuse has become a public spectacle (hospital in this case). People are strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe she thought if she left him, he would kill her? stop blaming the victim, these sentences need to be increased big time, pitiful sentence for what that piece of dirt did to that woman.

I didn’t blame her. I just said that I can’t understand it (in general).

Post edited by Jequ0n on

You alluded to it and you know you did and you’ve been caught out and your posts in this thread is making many posters puke

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It is funny how the left media like the BBC/Stacey Dooley make documentaries about the big scary incels. I think they need to look at who the real dangerous men are in society, normie sex having men not incels.

I think women pick very dodgy men as boyfriends, men with sleeve tattoos for example with aggressive high testosterone personalities. I am not saying that they deserve the treatment but they do have to take some of the blame for making the choice of those partners.

Just think back to the bullies at school, all them boys had girlfriends and now wives, why do women date obviously bad men? It is a question for the ages.

I bet men like that get out of prison and still manage to find new girlfriends whilst harmless incels suffer and get abused by the left media.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

'Until you walk in my shoes you have no right to judge', which is basically what she admitted in her VIS.

Important point to note that it was Garda colleague who set in motion the prosecution after accessing his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just my two cents but it seems to be a confidence thing, these same men have a knack of making a woman feel 'special' and the sole object of their desires. Perhaps a theme for a separate thread though.

Woman like that make me despair. The Ted Bundy worshippers - absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Barred from a hospital while working as a Garda .. were colleagues and or superiors aware and aware as to why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yup. What happened when his work took him to hospital, as frequently happens with Gards? How did he manage to not attend if required if his superriors/colleagues didn't know? Who was covering up for him and colluding in the terrorising of this poor woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

lol Why in the name of good f**k was there some make of celebrity infused 'Irish Times' interview article back in 2013 with this psychotic criminal dodgeball?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Lots of questions for GSOC- no doubt they’ll open an “enquiry” that will be “plagued” with legal challenges and will end up in the recycle bin of spin for the next 5 years with an “inconclusive” outcome - and tax payers will pay their fat salaries and pension contributions in the meantime - and the Comissioner will come across all “concerned” throughout but will highlight “deficiencies”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

absolutely that is a question that will be just swept under the rug though…

the management of that organisation is a joke.

• Advertisement

Let’s be clear here -RTÉ news tonight - Paul Moody “threatened to kill his victim” - the judge took this “into account”,and still, he got this pathetic sentence.

And people wonder “how this happens”? Just look at the punishment- it’s practically inviting partners to subject their significant others to abuse- hell, you can stop short of murder and you’ll get a lenient sentence coz you’re a decent sod and once woz an upstanding guy in the community

Advertisement