Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the the root of this behaviour..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What is the link between dodgy men, sleeve tattoos and high testosterone personalities?

Terrible that the poor incels get bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

A bigger question for me in today's world is why a jury of someone's peers can decide on their guilt but have no influence on the sentence received. Instead that's left up to one person who can be open to any amount of personal prejudice, experience, emotion and persuasion.

No one person is independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ten years is warranted here ,what a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Have to agree. There are many that have had awful upbringings. The difference is that unlike the culprit discussed in this thread most become aware of the fact that they could be a danger to others, that they could hurt others or themselves. They seek to work on it and move past it.

At some point, you have to decide what kind of person it is you want to be. You must know at some point what you are doing is completely Fckd up and ruining someone else's life and yet you continue to do it. That's where the evil part comes in for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You're either a troll or an asshole.

Take your pick and I'll take the ban for personal abuse.

• Advertisement

It’s not the crime he was convicted for unfortunately - and hence the sentence. It’s all about “the law”.

it sounds like he was prosecuted for a much lower crime than the prosecutors thought he should be convicted of , especially the account on RTÉ News this evening but the evidence wouldn’t have persuaded a jury?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,860 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont know how anyone can claim that sentence is fair in anyway whatsoever. The sadistic torture he put her through

31,000 abusive messages

Stealing her cancer drugs

Regular death threats

Kicked, punched and choked her

And thats only some of it.

Nah that sadistic bastard deserved at least 15 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Every thread on abuse related topics and the same sh1t -I’ve made my point also on the report function but why do we keep having to report? Why no action? Many on thread are complaining about them and in other threads but we get nowhere- why bother?

There's an obvious re-regged banned troll regualrly shıtposting, maybe it's the exodus of mods and posters? Keep the traffic up at all costs.

Dude have a big pity party. Alas, I shall be busy washing my hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To answer the question in the OP he was and still is a complete ctnu and 3 1/2 years is a joke sentence especially as I'm not sure he'll serve the complete sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This guy was a complete and utter cu*t. He deserves every day and more of his sentence for what he put that poor woman through.

Also questions need to be asked of the AGS and their handling of this? How many more like him are in the AGS?

Did I also read in the press that he was going to resign from the AGS? Surely he was sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

three years? three years???

can this decision be appealed so that he'd get a longer sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danimac

The piece in the Irish Times from 2013 about his 'bromance' with some guy includes the quote "Paul doesn’t have a temper, there’s not an aggressive bone in his body, he’s generous to a fault, a great supportive friend" and "I know cuddly Paul, fun Paul: he’s a big big guy but he’s very soft." The mind boggles how people can believe and describe their best friend as that and not have a clue what's happening behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The more I think about this case, the worse it seems. Yet the media already seems to have moved on to other stories. Is it because the victim wasn't identified which limits the scope for the media to get an angle from it. Or maybe it suits our authorities for it to fall off the radar asap given the potential for it to further undermine confidence in our already tarnished police force.

just trying to get my head around why there isn't more outrage over this. It would be bad enough if the perpetrator was a normal Joe and received such a lenient sentence. Have people already forgotten about what went on in the UK with Wayne "The Rapist" Couzens? Have people already forgotten how Maurice McCabe was treated here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

In most cases people are in the dark about what happens behind closed doors, so I don’t find that surprising. He did display this sort of behaviour in public places though, which is more unusual.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Agreed - it's the prevalence of clearly abusive/sh*t-stirring posters (many of whom obviously re-reg after being banned) on Boards that is a major factor in my not posting anywhere near as often as before. Boards is so negative and filled with anger and bitterness these days.

I really do think Boards is now in a period of slow but irreversible decline.

Back on topic - I have a strong feeling the sentence handed down will be appealed by either the victim or the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It wont be. He got 3 yrs and 3 months. The max is 5 years and he had no previous convictions.

He'll be out by XMas 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well why didn't he get the max 5yrs??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Because he had no previous convictions. Even if he did, its rare in ireland for anyone to get the max for anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Because he plead guilty and therefore is entitled to a reduction in sentence this is the norm in most countries not just here. On a seperate note there needs to be a major investigation into this guys previous actions as a guard he didn't just wake up one day as a 37 year old and decide to become an abuser.

While not making any excuses for the perpetrator and considering I think the max sentence for this crime is appalling (it’s only 12 months if prosecuted in the district court btw)

1. It’s relatively new legislation so I reckon judges will err on side of caution until established patterns of sentencing are in place
    2. he pleaded guilty
    3. allegedly of former good character

Id say he got 1/3rd off due to a guilty plea and no precious. Considering the seriousness of the abuse I would have thought 20% was more appropriate but it’s such a small max sentence anyway that we’re arguing over a few % points - I’d prefer to see a higher max sentence to begin with- then 33% off may make more sense ie- 8 year max sentenced to say 5 years is more appropriate

This seems to be missed by everyone in the media, no one is putting pressure on the AGS to investigate this guy and his actions as a guard. I think his actions has called the reputation of the force into question, how many others like him are in AGS? Also he resigned from AGS he wasn't sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah the fact that he wasn't sacked is incredible guards have been caught with small amounts of drugs and are sacked yet this animal is convicted of the most heinous abuse and is allowed to resign??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Automatic 25% reduction in sentence for guilty pleas. That would have taken it down to 3 years, 9 months on its own. The judge (a former Garda himself) reduced it further due to lack of previous convictions and the fact that Moody will have a "difficult" time in prison.

I'm far from a garda hater but this reflects atrociously on the organisation, for the following reasons (as mentioned):

- Stays a guard despite the hospital incident (this was a public matter, not like it was in the home)

- Didn't appear to face reprimand for abusing his position as a guard, which in itself is surely an offence, let alone all the stuff he did

- Resigned from the guards rather than his position being terminated

Wtf?!

Not sure what powers AGS have to refuse your resignation when you’re under investigation but they do have processes.

He was likely suspended throughout the investigation, maybe on full pay, I don’t know.

Obviously there came a point where he decided to plead guilty- I’d say at that point or when it was most advantageous to him he resigned - an internal AGS investigation involving him being interviewed etc wouldn’t commence until the outcome of the trial anyway - he knew he would be sacked so jumped ship - maybe that might have had a monetary bearing around entitlements or pension? I actually don’t know just guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

No surprise it's a Gard really, some of the biggest bullies and scumbags I went to school/college with went on to join the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He only resigned last night, after the sentence was handed down, I believe. AGS would have had to go through their misconduct process to sack him so as mad as it might seem, it's probably quicker and easier for everyone that he resigned (as late in the day as it might seem) rather than them having to get rid of him.

He likely was suspended on full pay throughout and he'll also still get his pension - https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2022/07/26/paul-moody-a-bully-and-a-disturbed-man-whose-conviction-has-seriously-damaged-the-reputation-of-an-garda-siochana/

• Advertisement

It might be easier for all that he did resign but with him resigning does he get to keep his pension? Where as if he was sacked would he lose everything?

Advertisement