Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Good to see that the usual suspects are labelling posters as rapey, dangerous and/ or even stupid, just because they express a different opinion to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Another example of how silly our justice system is.

These people should be sent home immediately, what a waste of time to arrest and process this rubbish.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Suggesting it’s ok to do whatever you want to a woman who is sleeping is absolutely rapey and dangerous. Saying it’s ok to mount a woman and grab her breasts is dangerous behaviour.

Why? Because the law says nobody can consent if they’re sleeping. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You haven’t read what he actually did. But you're pretty sure it's mostly her fault. Peoppe are fascinating.

To answer your question. He initiated sex with someone who wasn't in a position to give consent because they were asleep. Certainly less severe form of sexual abuse than others you hear about. But without consent, it's sexual abuse. Aren't you a bit worried about defending a sexual abuser?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Once again the heros of boards will be out to lament the death of romance because you can't grope someone when they're asleep.

"What's next, a sex contract heh hehe heh"

Nah, just make sure they're awake you **** creep.

• Advertisement

Lament the death of romance when they probably never had a sexual relationship in their lives.

To add, if you’re a bit randy and they’re asleep, wake them up. You can even be really funny and channel your inner Dessie Curley and say ‘I suppose a ride is out of the question’. You’d be surprised how much humour can add to these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's an unsettling one.

What he did was wrong. It warrants hard words and no further contact from her. Does it warrant jail time, a terminated career and a ruined social status?

I don't believe it does.

She's taken the ball here and ran with it. She's leaned into being a victim and all the social status that comes with that in the #metoo era. Her testimony seems dramatic, embellished. Almost unhinged. She uses the word "violence", which is a hysterical nonsense.

It puts the false notion of a "patriarchy" to bed. A woman has decided that a man be jailed and his life ruined on the basis that he upset her. Society complied, on the basis that she is a woman and he is a man.

A woman will (rightly) never be criminally prosecuted for doing exactly the same thing to a man in this country, though it happens and will continue to happen.

Young men need to be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

• Registered Users Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No idea how this got to court. It doesn’t at all add up. A year after this, the woman reports it, and this, after they met the next day, and after she fell back asleep (after what she described as an event that left her suicidal).

An event so traumatic that you fall back asleep, and next day meet up to discuss, and then a year later you report it? Wtf..

He has shown remorse, but only because of her being upset and feeling traumatized. I think this man was in no way a danger/predator etc. From what I have read I cannot believe it. Not buying it

It’s not being a sex pest. If she says no, it’s no.

You're really making an effort to make that into something that it isn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

As a man I no longer feel safe bringing a woman home to have a one night stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

no she did it , she could have accepted his apology as sincere and left it at that.

this complaint was out of pure malice esp waiting the full year to report.

also some facts like she stayed and took a lift home don't add up to a jail sentence.

the woman in the story is unhinged and seemed intent on obtaining maximum victimhood because if - the fella you went to bed with consensually - grabbing your tits causes you such upset that you want to ruin him then maybe you have issues.

and of course the justice system is messed up.

his mistake was engaging and trying to explain his way out - which is a parable itself on the state of modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Intimacy is generally an unspoken rule in the bedroom. You don't shake your partner awake and declare you want to engage in sexual activities. There's a general mood to it. Lets say for instance she has her back to you, normally a guy will move into the spooning position and will start to caress arm/leg or neck kiss in the hopes of waking said person up. I'm interested what you do in such circumstances? What this guy did climbing on top of her was wrong imo but did the punishment fit the crime?

No idea how this got to court. It doesn’t at all add up. A year after this, the woman reports it, and this, after they met the next day, and after she fell back asleep (after what she described as an event that left her suicidal).

An event so traumatic that you fall back asleep, and next day meet up to discuss, and then a year later you report it? Wtf..

He has shown remorse, but only because of her being upset and feeling traumatized. I think this man was in no way a danger/predator etc. From what I have read I cannot believe it. Not buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not really. If your lust means you have to disturb her sleep for your own needs you need to take a good look at yourself, or consider the classes yoh keep advising others attend.

Just let the poor tired woman sleep until she wakes up naturally. If YOUR lust means disturbing HER sleep that is very wrong and pestering her. That is putting your sexual needs above her regular needs. In fact some might even call that rapey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You have people here calling this person a rapist for an innocent mistake.

The same people are encouraging mass immigration in other threads from countries where rape is very common.

They cheer along while importing rapists into the country who will cause serious harm to women and not a peep out of them when irish people are attacked by immigrants.

Yet they are froughting at the mouth here for a man to be jailed for miscommunication.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you generally not wake people up at all and let them sleep until they wake up naturally?

Must be a lot of people late for work/school in your house. Damn those pesky rapey alarms!

Absolutely absurd logic. If someone wants to wake someone from their sleep because the might be in the mood there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's by it's very nature trying to obtain consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He did nothing wrong? He initiated sex without consent, with someone who was asleep. You genuinely don't think that's wrong? Even when you know it's illegal, you Don think it's wrong?

It’s baffling logic. All of the scummy, rapey things that have been said in these threads and the post which suggests how consent can be obtained is the one that is sexual assault and being a pest is the one they take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Completely agree and its very worrying going forward. Heard it mentioned on Pat Kenny just now and there'll be a discussion on consent later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont think anyones alarm asks them for sex. If your alarm is asking you for sex it is very faulty.

If someone has to be woken for work/school that is obviously a different matter. No one has to be woken for sex.

Because you are calling out these "rapey" posts while being extremely problematic with your own at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭Gusser09

it certainly doesn't sound like there was a solicitor present when he was questioned. Whether you think you have done something wrong or not always have a solicitor present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

effects of WOKE Progressive indoctrination

There it is 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I don't think the meeting they had the following day discussing the night before didn't go at all well and that probably distressed her more so than what actually did happen in the bed that morning and she was infuriated with him at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have a few questions for the people claiming he was within his rights to climb on top of her and grope her while she slept due to her previous consent:

- At what point is her consent withdrawn? Is there a time limit on these things?

- Is there a line he could have crossed where you would think his behaviour was unacceptable? If he had penetrated her while she slept would you still be saying "it was a ONS, and she had no problem a few hours earlier"?

There is nothing problematic with seeking consent, whatsoever.

Honestly, the straws you are clutching really are baffling considering you haven’t said a single thing to those saying what happened in this circumstance wasn’t sexual assault.

Are people saying he had a right to climb onto her to grope her? I don't think they are

This case has a lot more nuance than simply man assaults sleeping woman. There is quite a bit of circumstance and context involved.

The man, from what I have read is not nasty/bad/creepy/dangerous or whatever other bad label one can think of. He comes across as very sincere, genuine, caring and remorseful for this whole situation. He immediately stopped doing what he was doing when she said no. He even met up the next day to discuss, because she wanted to meet. He was genuinely concerned and caring towards her here. He genuinely believed that her version was not his version.

A year later and this explodes in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Using that criteria, any woman who pinches a guys arse should be prosecuted

Anyway that for me is not the interesting part of the story, this guy should be used as a template for what exactly not to do , a pitch perfect storm of misteps , dad's should cite him to their sons as a lesson in what not to do

1. Once she expresses regret for coming home with you ,show her the door,( she should not be in you're house past that point ,nevermind you're bed )but call her a taxi ,be a gentleman

2. Do not in anyway continue any communication with her In the following days if she hints at what she views as inappropriate behaviour on you're part

3. Refuse to answer a single question the guards have, you should never make a statement to guards anyway regardless of the accusation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you can’t sexually touch a sleeping person , it’s rape .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement