Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

Sounds like a case where she was ambiguous about it and her capriciousness has destroyed this man's life.

In my opinion she is vindictive, remaining anonymous whilst wanting this man named.

The court should order that she be identified and order her to state in writing to any man she meets whether or not she consents to penetrative sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

Well it is a hard “No” from me.

But based on your earlier legal post I suspect it is a hard “Yes” from you.

The chap may have a case against his wife. I suspect many couples will be contacting their solicitor this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd suggest he shares a little responsibility too, which required an apology which was given and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Would you not think a girl taking time out of her life to pay for solicitors and go through the court system with the fairly common story of a drunken one night stand who later tried to get things going again after she fell asleep is not more believable than the lad who is denying it? Even though he has to admit he was tipsy and in bed with her and already slept with her? Have to say I'd probably believe her myself. In fact I'd say it happens every single weekend in every country in the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If he wants to bring a case against his wife, have at it.

Or, in the real world, it's likely that boundaries have been established between him and his wife as a result of years of trust.

Of course, anyone here that has actually ever been in a relationship will understand that instead of equating it to two randomers who don't know each other.

Have at your rapey ways if you think it's ok for anyone to just mount any woman and grab their tits, though.

You didn't know this?

As I've pointed out before, consent classes sound more and more justified by the day.

There it is, in law.

(2) A person does not consent to a sexual act if—

(a) he or she permits the act to take place or submits to it because of the application of force to him or her or to some other person, or because of the threat of the application of force to him or her or to some other person, or because of a well-founded fear that force may be applied to him or her or to some other person,

(b) he or she is asleep or unconscious

A person cannot consent to a sexual act if he or she is asleep or unconscious.

Just because they were messing around earlier does not mean that he can mount her and do whatever he pleases once she is sleeping. Completely rapey to think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She willingly went home with him ,was physically intimate with him earlier in the evening , he had a water tight defence against any accusation, he committed Hari -Kari

Oh and she didn't have to spend anything on solicitors, she was a witness, not a defendant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The wifes asleep here beside me. I feel like the ride. Luckily i have the local marching band booked for 12 to come in and wake her up. I also have an airplane fly over with a banner asking for a shag. Cant be to careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Mixed opinions here, I think people need to visualise how beyond creepy a level he took it to. Doesn’t sound like a bit of fondling in the hope of some of action, he was on top of her while unconscious.

It’s also not fair to blame her for waiting a year. Maybe she couldn’t shake it off, maybe she had told herself the same things people are saying on this thread but realised after a year that dismissing it was messing her up?? She can’t win in that situation without simply going to the guards. Her only options are leave it off completely or try get money off him to perhaps pay for therapy but then she had already lost any chance of justice.

That being said, him acting “beyond creepy” doesn’t justify 15 months jail and life ruined, it just doesn’t. It doesn’t solve any problems for anyone.

I believe her trauma could be addressed without his life being completely ruined.

And herein lies the root of the problem.

Just because she went home with him, and was intimate with him earlier in the evening, did not mean he had carte blanche permission to climb on top of her and start feeling her up while she was asleep - no matter what she had consented too earlier.

I hope this case serves as a lesson to anyone who thinks that you can assume consent, just because someone consented once already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're completely misapprehending that law, it applies if the person was never in a position to give consent in the first place, which is not the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

She is obviously a very very hateful person.

This will just drive men further away from approaching women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

"She said the night of the attack was the last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack."

Yet she fell asleep right beside him minutes after the assault took place?

A custodial sentence seems a bit much.

The fact that he stopped when she told him to and that he has zero previous convictions, to get over a year seems a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Very good, I see where you're coming from. Just feels like women are generally believed these days no matter what it is. Or if they aren't believed, people are too terrified to question them out loud. Although the recent Depp Heard case certainly goes against that, I'll admit that.

Or maybe some will learn not to assume consent based on previous activities and that climbing on top of a sleeping woman and groping her could land them in a whole lot of trouble.

This could all have been avoided if he had just woken her up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It's a tough one. Guy hung himself so deserves what he got. I have been on the other side woke up next day once the beer goggles wore off Person coping a feel in the morning. Made excuses and left. I just find it odd takes 1 year to decide. chalked it up to life experience and moved on. I mean what would have happened if they finished the deed and guy says get a cab home. Wager that would not go down to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Or the other way around. I remember waking up and this woman was on top of me having sex one night after a one night stand, I obviously fell asleep.

He committed a sexual assault on a sleeping woman.

That's not "nothing".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

User name fits.

But I'm no white knight. Those excoriating the bloke JAILED for 15! months for what was a clumsy attempt at intimacy, when that sadistic Garda cnut basically got 33 months for his horrific behaviour...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

He did nothing wrong? Are you serious? Thats a disgusting take. Its possible to have sympathy but how the **** do you think he done nothing wrong? Did you bother look up the case? As for merging the thread , somebody else started one later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

You are completely misrepresenting what happened here. They had sexual contact fell asleep he woke up and initiated sex by fondling her, she said no, he stopped, she was not traumatised enough to leave the bed they were sleeping in, she was not traumatised enough the following morning when presumably they both had sobered up to call the guards, instead she accepted a lift home with him, he agreed to meet her the following day. I'm sure many men and women who have had a one night stand have had one or the other partner initiate sex after the night before, it usually starts with touching or kissing. It has happened me I've initiated sex and so have my partners, ive been woken up by being "sexually assalted" because my consent was null and void given two hours sleep, nevermind im naked and sleeping next to a naked woman who id just been intimate with, we always ended up having sex or fooling around more. This man's life career and name are ruined now, it could have happened to any man or woman up and down the country and for that reason it rankles with most of us. This man did not break into a woman's house and fondle and mount her as she was sleeping, context is important . Given this man got 15 months there is going to be an awful lot of nervous lads and ladies up and down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Sexual assault while sleeping was the charge...was this her true grievance or a higher chance he'd be convicted of something.... especially since consensual sexual activity already had taken place

Your argument is hilarious. Oh its happened to me and i didnt care so then its fine. And then your own example isnt what happened in this story. Genius , case closed.

How the **** do you know what he was planning???? She woke up. And he stopped. What if she didnt wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

As for ruining his life, he did that all by himself!

He did indeed. There was a very simple way for it all not to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

What in the hell is the world coming to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The idea that there is gender equality in Ireland today is crazy, women have the real power.

Ive had a couple of times where girls who i was not attracted to have full on groped me in a club and it didnt even cross my mind to report it to anyone. Ive also had one night stands i have regretted but i just brushed it off.

Also, this a good demonstration of how women are as aggressive as men but they use reputational damage rather than physical damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The idea that there is gender equality in Ireland today is crazy, women have the real power.

Ive had a couple of times where girls who i was not attracted to have full on groped me in a club and it didnt even cross my mind to report it to anyone. Ive also had one night stands that i have regretted but i just brushed it off.

Also, this is a good demonstration of how women are as aggressive as men but they use reputational damage rather than physical damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is definitely not as clear cut as people are making out. On both sides.

She obviously did not consent to being groped while she slept. But equating this to assault of somebody missing passed out drunk is missing context. On the other hand, martial rape/assault is far more common than people think. The whole picture is important.

• If a person falls asleep during, is the other person automatically a rapist. As consent is not longer given?
    • If somebody slaps their partner on the ass on the morning, is that assault. They have no consented since waking.

I'm using those two examples to highlight context. Before some warrior gets offended, refer to my bolded line above again please. What he did was obviously wrong, but it's a very niche case and needed to be looked at holistically. Not from speed reading an article in a newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

Off to jail without even getting the ride

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement