Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fines for speeding, phone use, no belts set to double

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There should be incentives for people to submit video of perpetrators... cash reward etc.

I'd be out cycling all day with my camera, give up the day job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think they need to split the country in 2.

People who want to speed because they are important can zoom around crashing into each other on one side of the country.

The other side can chill, take public transport, listen to the sound of the wind and birds and enjoy the fresh air and restful quiet nights.

🤪

They are paid a contract rate which is the same regardless of how many detections they make so there is no loss/profit for detection qty, there is just the contract rate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

be easier just to set up remote camera's it would be like fish in a barrel.

They've actually turned off the ones they did have.

The lack of interest and enforcement is hard to interpret any other way other deliberate. To what end, I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The M50 end to end is 45.5km. About 35minutes at 80kmph and 22minutes at 120kmph. So if the whole length was 120kmph (and it's not for a variety of reasons including camber and road width, as the bare basics), and 1/4 was at 80kmph (certainly not that much last week when I drove it), the actual time difference is 3 minutes. Now while your numbers are exaggerated and mine underestimated, for the cost of putting in variable limits, It's hardly a stupid speed limit when during working hours it's for the protection of workers and barely affects average speeds, out of hours, a cost benefit for low traffic times, it's not really worth pulling it down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

The road works speed limit is from Dundrum/Sandyford to Bray north at present but the speed restriction zone does location vary over time. It's the whole area at present Large sections have no work happening just cones. It would be realistic to have different limits when work is not happening. I understand they have been years installing overhead gantries for variable speed limits mostly triggered by weather or crashes which could be enforced legally.

I am the only one who obeys the limits. No one else that I can see.

2 points, everyone ignores the limit as it's stupid, no one has fear of getting caught.

Why bother making constant changes to the limits that have negligible effect on journey times or throughput. Waste of resources.

There are a few, I stick cruise control on the work van at quiet times, I catch some, get overtaken by others. I'd estimate I've seen a few tipping far north of 160kmph. Why they don't stick a beat cop in the pedestrian bridge a few hours a week is beyond me. Shooting fish in a barrel only these fish chose to get in the barrel.

As for the different speed limits, you are right but it's not that simple. They have to be regulation signs. Those yellow writing boards have no legal implications (although might be considered in a case). You have the wrong sign up at the wrong time or both signs up with time indicators it would be easy to chuck out of court and no safety manager would stand over it, I certainly wouldn't.

All this said, at quiet times, dundrum to Bray, pure estimation, is less than 15 minutes. Any time saving is hardly worth the cost to councils to apply. This aside from the environmental benefits of driving slower (memory tells me 80 to 100 is most efficient in non interrupted driving). This said I have been on the M50 a few times this week coming off at Sandyford so maybe my license should go as I didn't notice anything much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The estimated journey times on the displays are wrong.

They are based on driving at the maximum allowed speed, therefore this is encouraged.

At times I seem to be the only person driving below the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Slippery slope sir careful what you wish for. I certainly don't want anymore government interference in our lives.

€5 for crossing a red light that's mad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was more a comment about the use of everyday technology to achieve things rather than a 'we should do this' wishlist item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Quite simply, it is the broken window syndrome. Allowing particular groups of roads users break the law with impunity leads to a an atmosphere were more serious offences also occur. Whether it is cyclists, parking on the footpath, not indicating, broken headlight etc then it should be sanctioned where detection is possible, to better create an orderly way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

There needs to be fines for crawling too and refusing to allow the vehicle behind to overtake in locations where there is ample room to allow for overtaking. Taking off too slow on green lights also needs a fine. Braking due to incoming traffic that is on its own side of a line marked road could also do with a fine. Crawling on slip roads should be a finable offense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

So what you're saying is, we're getting absolutely shafted by GoSafe, but it's A-OK because the government are absolutely terrified of being accused of making money from the system. Manned speed cameras are absolutely archaic anyway - we have the technology to do this over large sections of the entire country for a fraction of the current cost.

Does losing €26M in three years represent good value for money in terms of road deaths? We could put every driver in the country on a road safety course for that kind of money, which IMO would be far more effective.

That broken windows idea came from how they cleaned up new York etc.

Except it's not accurate. They also increased the policing resourcing and it coincided with a rise in economy where people where doing better and standard of living rose.

Not to say we don't need to increase enforcement across the board. But targeting cyclists won't change driver behaviour or safety. If you can find study that proves otherwise I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Just to clarify....They are increasing the number of mobile Gatso vans. I didnt think we had fixed camera positions in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was also the controversial theory that it coincided with a dropoff in the birth rate as a result of roe v. wade; i think it was freakonomics where i first read about that idea.

the issue with road safety campaigns in ireland is that the government/relevant authorities regard the issue of road safety as being essentially solved; road deaths have been at an historic low, except for the recent uptick. and because that's the banner headline, resources are directed elsewhere.

in essence, out there it seems to be a 'you can behave badly as long as you don't kill anyone' approach.

Cynical cash-raising exercise for the Garda and a private company.

I have NEVER seen a Garda traffic unit or parked Garda car on the M6 or M7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, AGS don't get the any of the money. The private company, as has already been mentioned a few times on the thread, are on a fixed price contract.

Secondly, I think I've seen gardai in marked cars do speed traps on all motorways in Ireland.

Lastly, if you want to avoid paying any speeding fines, there is a very easy way to do it!

I always though they were based on reg plates annoymised covering the distance, hence they vary a lot. A bit like google maps.

A syndrome that was widely found out to not be what they thought at all. It just turns out that serious crimes have peaks and troughs in New York and they came up with this at the start of a downward spiral. There are some excellent Ted talks and papers on the phenomenon.

There used to be one on the M4/N4 at the Spawell Hotel, never seemed to be in operation when I was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

People just need to cop on a bit more, always the minority fuching thing's up for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

At the moment if you don't pay a speeding fine of 80 and it goes to summons, the fine is doubled to 160.

So it will be very costly if the summons fine is doubled to 320

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The stats are pretty clear as regards speeding and deaths

Indeed they are. Driving in excess of the speed limit is the primary cause of ~5% of fatal collisions. I'd prefer they concentrate on the 95% but hey, that might involve a bit of actual work.....

Its not just a few though...

A survey in 2018 measured the free speed of 16 672 vehicles, in other words the speed at which they chose to travel when unconstrained by road geometry, weather or traffic conditions. The percentage of car drivers breaking the speed limit was 52% on urban roads, 27% on rural roads, 23% on motorways and 44% on dual carriageways.

I'm not implying these are "unsafe" in case someone thinks I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm in favour.

I frequently travel to Swords from Artane. Recently the speed limit on the M1/M50 from Santry entrance has been increased from 80 to 100, and not before time in my opinion. However, the other day I drove that stretch and as I joined the motorway, a few clowns came flying up past me and must have been doing way in excess of 120. These were probably the same clowns who when I was doing 80, were passing me at 100. There's a spot under the flyover at the M50 junction, where they used to put the speed van, a much better spot in my opinion. Put a fixed camera there and another under the Airside flyover, thats the stretch where I see the stupidest behaviour.

But..... anyone know if there has ever been a crash on that section?

• Advertisement

how is it felching it up for you? if the minority you refer to here are 'speeders' or 'non-seat belt wearers' etc then you've nothing to worry about, unless you're in the minority you're complaining about?

Advertisement