Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fines for speeding, phone use, no belts set to double

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yes its not a cliche, fallacy or Myth would have been more accurate.

If you want to have a top 10 list of things and start with item number 42 in order of priority (1+1=42 etc) on that list, I don't think its safety your chasing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was recently talking to a garda who had those tacky '4D' plates on her car. it's not exactly up there with speeding - but it's technically an offence to have plates like that on your car. either she didn't know or didn't care, and either option isn't great.

Suggestion...

This isn't that discussion, as fines for speeding, phone use, no belts don't apply to cyclists.

If someone wants to start a discussion on Cyclists fixed charge notices best to start another thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a simple fix for people who find it difficult to stick to the limit because their attention wanders; if you find yourself 10km/h over the limit on a reasonably regular basis, because your concentration has lapsed, why not mentally subtract 10km/h from the limits (e.g. treat a 120km/h limit as 110km/h) and you'll be able to stay within the limit without having to change your concentration levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

1st reply = nail on head. Its the low chance of getting caught or detected that leads to the errant behaviours, be it speeding, phone use, cutting corners/Bends, tailgating, red light running etc etc right down to illegal parking on pavement, cycle lanes or where its otherwise prohibited.

Enforcement has to increase to positively impact behaviour as a threat of a fine is not sufficient a d deploying more tech to detect the easily detectable things.

Getting disqualified motorists off the road would also help calm things down. Cameras on lights to detect jumping would in my opinion calm things too. Motorists frequently accelerate significantly to pass a red light and don't slow if the road is clear ahead. Would they do this if the camera was likely to catch them? Unlikely.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That thread would be a moderators nightmare if it was started in this forum!!! I get where you are coming from though - Its not the place for it in this thread as it stands.

according to the garda website, there are 94 gardai in the dublin metropolitan region road policing division. if you had 30 on duty at any one time, during the day, say, that'd barely be one per postcode, let alone adding all the parts of dublin that don't have a postcode.

there's no mention of a breakdown for any specific roads policing gardai in the rest of the country.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

This is why automatic cameras and such is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I think you'll find that's exactly what is coming their way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m chasing a culture of safety, yes.

order of priority ? That all road users contribute to safe roads…and observe the road traffic act.

what you think and facts are very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We're all saying the exact same thing, with little to no enforcement it doesn't matter how high the fine is. If you can run a red light in front of a Garda and nothing happens then it doesn't matter if the fine was €1 or €1,000 either way you are still not paying a fine.

I'm reminded of a trip to Poland where a colleague pointed out you will be fined for crossing the road when the man wasn't green. Low and behold at the next junction we watched a police officer issue a ticket to someone.

It's not my opinion. These things are measurable and have been measured in studies.

For example the high frequency that "speeding" is factor.

That's is why they focus on certain items and not others.

speeding is an obvious one for the authorities to pursue. it's very easily definable and easily detectable.

in theory, red light running should be the same, but for whatever reason, we have far more speed cameras than red light cameras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A modern car means you most likely either have cruise control or a speed limiter if you want, might not be the case but many, if not most have one or the other or both.

Memory serves the previous Garda Commisioner had to answer an Oireachtas committee to explain why the speed van system was losing money. They seemed annoyed at her answer that it might be working. I was annoyed that both seemed to miss the point that cameras are so well signposted that if you get caught you don't just deserve the fine / points, you should get another dose of them for driving without due care and attention.

I get what you are saying but its a bit like the customs stops, they are so rare that the fine is huge. A neighbour of mine was caught, and while annoyed knew he had saved more than the fine as he had been at if for 10+ years. Regrettably this is why the fines and points are going up, because enforcement isn't good enough, therefore you hopefully get a few people concerned enough after they are caught once that they might slow/stop. More regrettably, many will just keep driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Focus on road safety isn’t about handpicking and handwringing over elements of it you don’t like… as I said road safety needs to step from shared responsibility, culture and enforcement.

cant enable a safe culture when a certain demographic of road user are not held accountable..

"all road users contribute to safe roads' is probably true, but trite to the point of being useless.

recently, while in my car, i have had my safety threatened by other motorists. recently, on my bike, i have had my safety threatened by motorists. recently, while out walking, i have had my safety threatened by motorists.

i have not had my safety threatened by either cyclists or pedestrians recently, no matter what form of transport i was using.

motorised vehicles, and their drivers, are responsible for the vast majority of dangers on the road. we concentrate on them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

euro 2,000 for mobile fone plus 3 months off the road

Speed cameras on all motorway gantries like the M25 in London.

Speed , tax, insurance, NCT cameras on all toll roads.

Lock up all the lawyers who defend anyone for road deaths

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Lock up all the lawyers who defend anyone for road deaths

a little extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

thought that might get your attention, hope you and the WT projects are well, that neither cracked in the recent heat :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

That the fines and points are targeted on certain things and fines also increase for exceeding specific limits. Which are changed as needs be would entirely disagree with you.

This thread is about EXACTLY that. "....Fines for speeding, phone use, no belts set to double...."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have driven abroad a fair bit. Mostly US, UK and Spain, and would have put Ireland at the top of that group when it comes to better driving.

Not claiming the standards here are great but I think we stand up well against many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Technology could prevent cars from speeding and drivers using their phones while driving.

... self driving cars

😁

It'll be interesting if people give up their freedom to kill or injure others. Or will we be up in arms about our "rights".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

M50 80km/h for about 1/4 of length with no one working on road works at weekends and evenings and large parts with only cones and no sign of work. 100% of cars zip right past me on cruise control on the limit. It's been like this for 6 months+

The whole city centre is planned to be 30km/h even on 2 lane main routes 24/7/365 with speed vans at 3am on the quays. A couple of speed bumps at pedestrian death areas would have better impact. It's often pedestrian fault they are hit by cars at crossings as they are drunk.

Many old roads that were bypassed went from 100km/h national roads to 80km/h with 90% of the traffic gone. The speed seems to have been dropped as they are no longer NRA roads, but same road with less traffic.

In NI those towing caravans on dual carriageway can go more than 80km/h but not in ROI.

Speed limits are not targets but when they are crazy low people ignore them.

On m50 people go below 120km/h in that section and above 100km/h. These are the same cars that just drive around 110km/h the whole length including road works.

Kilmac is a great example, one speed north bound, a different speed south bound, pedestrian bridge & concrete barrier. Limits are more local politics than road engineering based. Gardai hiding with hair dryer knowing 90% of cars naturally drive over the limit.

Lots of motorway grade roads at 100km/h or even 80km/h.

I think there a genuine case to be made that there are some daft limits, too high and too low.

Limits aren't always set based on road engineering principles. Sometimes they are set for other reasons like politics. Perhaps noise, perhaps its park. Lots a factors at play.

But people generally ignore them if set to low (and not enforced). Studies have shown that if they are set reasonably most people stick close to the posted limits. Another study showed that most people stick to a reasonable limit even without signs.

Note "most" there's always outliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

They have doubled the fines. The cost for gosafe does not include Garda traffic fines and Garda speeding fines. Gosafe only run at a loss as they often sit on empty roads and night time and a lot of drivers don't speed and flash oncoming cars. Where they make a "profit" is motorways, the safest roads in Ireland where I see them regularly

Advertisement