Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "the decimation of rural Ireland" overhyped

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Not to mention the farmers getting payments, it's great in fairness, keep it coming as it keeps lads from spending their cash, thanks Dublin and EU 😊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember driving through scotland at night thinking 'there's something a little odd about this place' and then realising it was just how dark the countryside was - the number of one off houses was a tiny fraction of what you'd get in ireland, so you didn't see houses lit up all around.

i was recently in my dad's home town (north donegal) for the first time in about 8 years, and the number of derelict buildings in the town was nuts. plenty of houses carpet bombed in the countryside around it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why should it be dead?

Do you want everybody in the cities?

And then you'll complain about the cities being too full.

What are you, the reverse Khemer Rouge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If you went to pay for a burger with a €20 note, and the man behind the counter said: "Actually I don't have any change, head off there and make change and then come back", would you not mind?

I don't have many strong feelings about cash vs. card, but some of the scenarios that posters are suggesting that customers put up with in order to support businesses that doggedly refuse to get with the times are a bit daft...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When I lived in the US, Bank of America had different types of bank accounts. The cheapest in terms of banking fees was the online option. You could withdraw from or deposit cheques or cash into ATMs that allow it (which is not every ATM there either) as often as you wanted BUT you were only allowed to avail of services in a bank branch twice a year. If you used it more, you would incur a charge. Over there it was also difficult to get by with just cash. Had always hear cash is King but that became shite, it was credit is King. I tried to rent a car with cash from multiple companies and none of them would take it. The excuse given was trust in the employees. They didn't want a bunch of cash from everyone renting cars sitting with employees throughout the day.

Hotels were another one. They want you to pay with card and they put the charge on the card for incidentals. I know a hotel here recently lost a case for refusing cash but there are good reasons to not want to accept cash, imo. Just even having a business account myself, it is a lot less effort from an accounting perspective to no deal with cash. The software from the likes of Stripe have things in such a way that filing returns is simple and quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What's to stop banks charging €10 for ATM withdrawals?

I think that the notion that by carrying around a load of cash - which has come out of bank's ATM at least once, probably many time - you are somehow insulating yourself from the vagaries of the global financial system is a little naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

4 of the 5 largest medical device companies in Ireland have presence outside Cork and Dublin. Dublin at least is also at bursting point, the room for growth is outside Dublin. The largest wind energy potential is off the west coast. Corrib Gas that is currently saving our arses for supply is off the west. That's not even mentioning the agriculture and tourism. Can you imagine what else the rest of the country could do if there was investment in decent infrastructure outside of Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What about some old people, people with intellectual disabilities or any disabilities that will make card usage difficult.. ?

no reason to get rid of cash. Just cause business don’t want the hassle ? Fûck off.

I'm sure that their local Post Office will - AS IT ALWAY HAS - meet their requirements.

It's not as though the disappearance of the local AIB will cause the planet to stop revolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t agree, cash is king and allows flexibility for everyone. It’s only being spoken about being gotten rid of because it suits some businesses. Post office have limited services.

stopping the planet revolving ? Always with the hyperbole, jeez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I was at a wedding recently where the couple had given their PayPal before hand if wanted to give them something. They still accepted envelopes and stuff but thought it was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I definitely use card more but I normally always have some cash. There is a nice restaurant nearby that only accepts cash so I use it for that.In Berlin it was a bit mad as they only use cash in lots of places and seem to distrust banks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was at a wedding in Tip years ago. The couple asked on the invite for cash only (in the form of a little poem). This was before huge traveller style weddings with lots of cash was in vogue. We went along to the venue (which was awful with dreadful finger food & dips) only to find out we'd been hoodwinked. The couple had had a proper wedding in an amazing venue the day before which most people didn't know about. We found out half way through that we were at a money collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Funny that, I was in the Chilterns only about 90 mins from London a few months ago and we walked to a nearby rural pub, it was totally pitch black and we were surrounded by natural forest. No one off housing at all. Ireland's unique in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chosen1

Yea there would be an obvious difference between one off housing in the countryside between Ireland and many other countries. What people mostly fail to mention though is that Ireland always had a culture of rural living, and towns and villages only came to us through the Vikings and Normans. Later on the English built up many plantation towns but they often lack the prettiness of the typical English equivalent due to the relative poverty the Irish were in compared to their "mainland" equivalent.

People think it's a failure of planning after our countries independence but you only have to travel north over the border and you'll see very little difference in terms of rural living, where there are similar level of one off houses in the country. Guess it's just in our nature to like that little bit of space around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Cash is king actually means that possession of money is king. Not necessarily physical cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cash doesn't always work. No electricity, no cash register. A lot of places need network connectivity for the registers to work, too.

You also conveniently ignore that to get the cash in the first place, you need a powered, networked device (ATM) and banks can and do charge for cash withdrawals already.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You know what I love, when someone says "cash is king". How do they come up with wisdom like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Depends on how much functionality you need from the till but without power a till can manually be opened and closed (in general) so the business still has a rudimentary method of dealing with cash. Not so with non cash transactions.

I digress however. You are of course generally correct.

I think, in similar ways to the bog(green party adamant on banning it, when it will be finished in a decade or two anyway due to newer generations generally not having the time or work ethic to do it) we are reducing cash transactions anyway. There's not really a need to force it as we have seen and it's likely certain areas and people will continue to require cash.

Rural Ireland has been dying for a long time which is a disgrace really when you consider the mess most of our cities are in. Perhaps the accelerated move to WFH will solve some of this but who really knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It does if you've a good bit of cash in your house, anyone with a good bit saved could survive a long time if banks or atms have difficulties, no good if tills are out of course but either is card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I think it's about principles really. Everyone should be able to trade with whatever cash or card they want.

Farmers always use cash, well the one's I know do. They might use the card in a busy pub but it's good to have the options.

Using cards is handy, but cash is king.

Looking at a fifty euro note and smelling it is nice. I love the smell of money.

Or giving a kid a note and their eyes light up with divelment, and they have a purchase on their minds.

The way they look at it too, they seem to save better these days, money used to burn in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most tills intentionally block opening in a power cut and have been like this for decades. The plan for shops when the electricity goes down is to close due to tills not working. I worked on network tills for 10 years 20 years ago and a network going down was caluclated to be as uncommon as a power outage and the same plan if either happen which is close. Companies would not trust their staff to sell things without a till because staff don't know the prices (no longer on the items for sale) nor able to do maths. It is possible to operate without a till but they won't do it anymore unless it is some small independent store.

If a craft store can use electronic payments any shop that can't/won't is behind the times and will lose customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just for anyone who keeps thinking (and saying) that "cash is king" refers to physical cash only

What Is Cash Is King?

"Cash is king" is a slang term reflecting the belief that money (cash) is more valuable than any other form of investment tools, such as stocks or bonds. This phrase is often used when prices in the securities market are high, and investors decide to save their cash for when prices are cheaper.

Please pass this on to any hick you meet who uses this to defend keeping those loss-making services open at tax-payers expense. Fock them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wasn't aware that the majority of tills don't have a method of opening without power now.

It's been about 20 years in fairness since I was on the user end of a till and that that time, where I worked, power outages were relatively common at certain times of the year. The pricelist was on the door/printed by the till (was a licensed premises) and the maths weren't that difficult/batter calculator always on standby if needed.

Time's have changed in that case!

Bars have a very limited range of stock and purchases. A small corner shop has thousands of products now. Have you not noticed the the shops where the cashier doesn't even open drawer in a normal transaction? They only scan bills into the till and it goes straight into a lock compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who here remembers the old pound note

hideous disgusting smelly things😬 can you imagine the amount of germs, viruses, diseases that were spread about with them paper rags yuk!

and the fact that pound coins weren't introduced till 1990 ffs! what a bally-go-backward country it was back then

The USA still use dollar bills and not dollar coins. Essential how the country operates

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Keeping a lot of cash in your home is really not a good idea.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I remember the previous incarnation of the pound and the old pennies with the hen on them 😁

Advertisement