Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "the decimation of rural Ireland" overhyped

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Maybe AIB will have learned it’s lesson from this. Today illustrates what rural Ireland can do .

Maybe today marks the start of a sea change where we no longer accept was is thrown at us. Remember nobody wanted these changes in the provision of banking services. There wasn’t anybody on the streets looking for cashless banks . This decision was made by a small number of officials at a very high level within AIB , probably at a weekend think in at a hotel somewhere.

They got their answer . Maybe here is where we start to undo what has been done to us in the last ten years .

It's a nice dream but it's unrealistic.

If you get a chance, read 19 Acres, by John Healy - it's an autobiographical account of the decline of community in rural Mayo from the 1920's to the 1970's (iirc). He makes the point very strongly that the changes in rural Ireland (to then) were the consequence of increased mechanisation on farms. A whole class of farm labourers was rendered redundant over the course of 100 years. Likewise, cars have made it easier to live in (say) Kilmallock but shop in Limerick or Cork, and now even shops in the cities are closing due to online trade. Kilmallock is, in theory, a big town but shops there are closed or closing, from what I can see. That's because every individual spender is choosing to spend their money more efficiently elsewhere. It's great on an individual level but it's an absolute disaster for communities. I drove the west coast recently enough and it's town after town half deserted, and that's because locals don't want live in, or spend in, their local towns.

I don't particularly like it but it's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What sea change is this? That locals are now going to spend their money in their communities rather than in big towns, cities and online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I went to a wedding last month and transferred money to the couple's bank account for their present.

My name was on the narrative so they know exactly who gave it to them.

Much better than cash or a bank draft that becomes separated from the card (an inevitable occurrence) - which means you don't know who gave it to you and that has implications when you need to send out thank you cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

saves some from the dodgy best man who slips some of the money into their pocket too......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Foooked. The world would have stopped turning? They'd have just left.

I placed an order in a chipper recently, burger was sizzling on the grill when I saw a sign that said cash only. Asked your man was he having a laugh, it's 2022. Walked out, presume burger went in the bin. He was foooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Some of the smartest, most intelligent and savvy punters I have drained in the past, have been born in the bog, Irish, rural-culchie muckers, a purely divine type, they taste spectacular.

Go and ask a home bred border boy like Sean Quinn how he made his billions without the black market and the cash industry which feeds its' very lifeblood? Uisce Fé Tailimh is an intrinsic aspect of Irish economic life. The reality is that it can never really die, as much as the banks would prefer to see the back of it.

More worrying for the general public, is the lack of banking options currently available. 3 banks is a dangerous monopoly all said. They can do as they like. I would certainly be in favour of supporting some of the offshore internet options which are available.

Your money is your privacy, it is nobody else's business how much you have or what you do with it. Pay your fair share of taxes and get on with it. I remember punting with my uncles in rural Ireland years ago, all done with a nod and a wink and anything over 3-4 figures got settled after the last race. The same applied buying and selling livestock, the barter game is one of the fairest available.

Anyone thinking culchies are just a gang of mullahs need a good shaking, it it so far from the truth. They are cute hooers the whole lot of them. The béal bocht and poor awl me is all part of the charade , total smokescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am all for one-off house, in villages.

I am against one-off houses, in the open rural countryside.

When I oppose one-off rural houses, the counterfactual is not Manhattan skyscrapers.

What I suggest is to build up rural villages.

Build as many one-off houses as you like, I say, but within 1km of the centre of a village or small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I feel like saying "buckaw" to the AIB management

Cashless is coming. Delaying the inevitable here and anyone who disagrees is like those who voted for Trump because he said he'd bring them back to the good old days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I go on a night out, I put my wallet with my card in one pocket and 'hide' cash in another pocket.

Just in case the night goes good and then horribly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 moslo

"Born in the bog", "culchies", "muckers", "cute-hooers" pulling strokes and doing deals.

While there are definitely people like that in and from rural Ireland they certainly don't represent the majority, who in actual fact are mostly honest hard working people who are undisguisable from their urban neighbours. The view you present has probably been exaggerated by John B Keane plays, rural dramas like Glenroe and sensationalist print and social media.

Post edited by moslo on

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Schooled or educated? 2 very different things with very different meanings

On a lighter note as a (mostly) former Tradesman I don't think there's any better feeling than giving a customer the price plus vat and they saying sur you'll do it for cash without the vat and they handing over 10 or 15 grand in cash when the job was done, good times long gone now as I'm in respectful employment now but you can be sure there's plenty at it still and more power, they've to feather the nest for when the lean times come around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The pavees won't want to see a cashless society because then they would have to have bank accounts and Revenue would know exactly how wealthy they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

• Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why didn't you ask him if there was an ATM near by rather than asking him if he was having a laugh?

I live around the corner. I know there's no ATM within a 10 minute walk. And I don't use cash anymore. If a business is cash only they won't get my custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Organised begging rings will have to find another grift too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you live around the corner did you not know already that your local takeaway was cash only?

In the village I live in there are two takeaways, one cash only.

Both have their benefits, certain menu items are nicer in one than the other.

I know if I'm going to the cash only one I need cash.

The idea that someone would only use cashless businesses out of principal is a bit stupid, God help you if you needed to go and get something sometime in a shop that only took cash.

Same with "I don't use cash anymore". I rarely use cash anymore, but I usually have some on me just in case I have a situation where I need it.

Had never been into it before, fancied a burger, he couldn't take my payment so he lost the business.

It's 2022, post pandemic, the majority use card payments now and if he doesn't want to accept that (purely a tax dodge, chippers well known for it) then that's his perogative.

I haven't had cash since the beginning of the covid pandemic and haven't gone hungry so I don't think cashless is stupid to be frank, I've no requirement for it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll survive, most chippers around here are cash only, I know of a couple of other businesses that are cash only and they're still in business after many years, if you're travelling around rural Ireland without cash then you'll be disappointed eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Are people who don't use cash proud of it as they are so modern and "with it"? Seems that way. There is a definite attitude out there that people who want the OPTION to use cash are dodgy, old farts, idiots, luddites.

There were similar attitudes to those who were slow to adopt smartphones. As the years have passed it has become more and more difficult to manage without one. Who benefits, Apple and other mega corporations. I object strongly to having to use a smartphone for two factor authentication if I want to buy anything online

A few years ago when I still had a button phone I loaned it to woman to use as her 1000 euro iPhone had some problem. This person is older than me, works in tech and would have used button phones for 15 years yet now she had completely forgotten how to use one and was trying to swipe on the screen like a moron.

I've noticed in shops that staff seem put out/momentarily confused if presented with cash. Staring at notes like they are some alien object and slow to process the transaction. Often no manners either (e.g. flinging change on the counter instead of dropping it into my hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For a variety of reasons I dont think it is a good idea to go to a totally cashless society but its nothing to do with the fantasy rural Ireland that some posters believe exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I was in Wales and the North of England a few weeks back, no one off housing at all , villages and towns far prettier too,our towns and villages are ugly for the most part due to awful planning

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just out of interest how did your mother get into online banking, etc?

I know of a few elderly people and some are simply afraid of technology, others don't want to change but some have tried to use technology, cards, etc and they simply can't get into it. They've tried help from family friends, computer classes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My sister showed her but she also attended a computer course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Well, picture this scenario then.

Supposing the person needed food, had no cash and the app on their watch/phone wasn't working? What do they do then? Cash always works.

And that's your choice. But I am not in favour of removing that choice from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Here's a serious point. Do you guys realise how much power you are giving to the banks if cash is gotten rid of totally?

Have a think about this.

If cash is gotten rid of completely, then you will have no choice in how you pay for goods or services. You are going to be 100% reliant on electronic payments.

Who controls the electronic payments?

Your banks.

And if the banks e-payments don't have to compete with cash any more, what's to stop the banks charging €1, €2 and so on for each transaction.

You'll have no choice but to put up with that charges because you'll have no other alternative.

Big mistake to get rid of cash.

And I'm not even including the 'Big Brother Is Watching' scenario in the above either.

Big Brother is watching 😀 Oh no, somebody knows I bought a coffee, the horror. What have you got to hide?

Make sure you don't get a leap card, you wouldn't want the big bad government knowing you travelled from Howth to Connolly by Dart.

Won't being until ATM transaction charges are brought in, what then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rural Ireland is far from dead.

It should be though, unfortunately our corrupt politicians keep subsiding it with money from Dublin and Cork. 😡

Advertisement