Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "the decimation of rural Ireland" overhyped

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The "Sea Hag" £1 notes were particularly ugly, and got very tatty looking very quickly. No idea why they made the most common notes - £1 and £5 - by far the ugliest. The £5 note had a shagging monk on it then. When they updated the notes, they put a shagging nun on the £5 instead 🙄

Getting a £50 note in the early-mid 90s was a PITA as lots of places were arsey about making change from them. I was on the dole for a while and the payment was something like £62.50, you hoped they gave you three £20s but sometimes you got a £10 and a £50. Had to pay busfare into town every week to sign on too, no collecting at the local post office then.

Anyone else remember trying to find an ATM that dispensed £5 notes because that was all you had left?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I always withdraw €40 or €80 from ATMs. If I do end up with a €50 note, I buy something small in Tesco self-service and get rid of that way. A few years back I handed over a €50 for a round of drinks on two separate occasions and ended up getting change of €20 both times. Major hassle to get my money back so I avoid them if at all possible.

You wouldn't get much of a round of drinks for less than €20 these days!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Since the disadvantages of removing cash are obvious and it creates a worse situation than before its mad to see posters like yourself crowing about it.

Yes governments and bankers are probably powerful enough to force cashlessness on people. Therefore what? When something sub-optimal has become inevitable you should be asking yourself why that is (and not indulging neourses about germs).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

God this brings back memories. I remember the tooth fairy leaving me a pound coin and me being outraged because I thought it was only 20p as a pound was a note in my eyes 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I came through Dublin airport about six or seven years ago, and passed that perspex case where you dump unwanted/unneeded currency for charity. There were a few IRL£10 and £20 notes in it.

Very shortly after the introduction of the pound coin I went to see Prince in Parc Ui Chaoimh. I bought a Coke for £1 and got nineteen pound coins back in change 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

from a vending machine or a kiosk?

From a young lass who was wandering the stands!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If the Dublin focussed, M50 centric planning laws and spacial strategies actually provided serviced sites in rural villages and towns then maybe people would live there.

Ribbon development is mainly caused by poor central planning strategies

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that once neighbourhoods are well thought out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hang on, you're saying it's dublin's fault that rural planning is a mess?

if i live in mayo and submit a planning application for a house, is it mayo county council or dublin county council who rules on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The post office provides financial services , easy way to pay bills in cash, the problem is many people over 60 don't use smartphones , they don't want to install apps, revolut , not everyone is a tech expert, also in rural areas you might only just about get a 4g signal. I think people would be happy to buy houses in rural areas of they can get work. The problem is young people leave small towns to study or get a good job. It's a bit late now to be complaining about one off housing. I buy everything with cash I would be very sad if the day comes when you have to tap a phone or use an app to pay for a pint of milk or a roll,

Also what happens when your phone battery is at zero. Also networks sometimes stop working, in Canada most broadband users had no connection for 2 days. The problem is its not economical to keep some pubs or shops open if most people in a town are over 60 and only go out once a week

A town in Italy is selling houses for 100 euro in order to attract more people to live there and by the way not everyone wants to live in dublin so people actually prefer to live in a town like Longford

The media just presume we all want to move to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its nearly easier to win the lotto these days than get planning permission to build a house in a rural area.

Sons and daughters of farmers like to move back to where they grew up and be near their parents when they get married and want to start a family but the council just make it it as hard as possible for them to do this.

Its the Greens pushing this policy where they want everyone to be in urban areas.

I hate that party can't wait to see them gone after the next election.

No.

But planning laws and spacial strategies are decided in Dublin

Even in pre famine times most people in rural Ireland lived in little villages or clusters of houses

It's just another "dem bastards up in Doooblin" post... if yiz hate Dublin and Dublin people so much, stop bleeding us dry with taxes and stand on your own two feet for once.

Also networks sometimes stop working, in Canada most broadband users had no connection for 2 days. 

Which means ATMs stop working. How great is cash when you can't get any?

typically it's the dublin planners who would like to restrict one-off housing but get massive pushbback from local politicians.

Advertisement