Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cutting some slack' for old fashioned, elderly people?

Options

Comments

What in the world are you on about now? More nonsense! What am I looking for sympathy for exactly, and why would I need it ?!?

You are ignorant, by your own self-declaration that you do "not understand" gay marriage, or what it means to be gay.

So maybe go inform yourself, and come back and post when you're able to engage in a discussion like a grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I do not need to know anything about gay marriage, i am not gay. i will live myh life as it suits me. Your the one talking nonsense and whinging when people do not agree with what your thinking.

Any person that says another person is ignorant is simply an IGNORANT person, i am well informed in what i need to know . I have no need to educate myself on how others live their lives.

You are the person who needs to grow up with your language... off with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You keep talking about understanding. It's not a complex concept. If you don't understand a gay marriage because you aren't in one then you also didn't understand straight marriage before you got married as you weren't directly involved in one of those either at one point. And that makes no sense. And actively choosing not to understand it is wilful ignorance and that's not an insult it is just what it is, a fact.

I do not need to know anything about gay marriage, I am not gay.

You need to inform yourself when you are to being asked to vote on any matter which impacts on other citizens' lives and rights - not just your own.

And though the vote for same sex marriage was some years ago, you have stated you would have voted No despite your self-declared and wilful ignorance of the subject.

If you stated you would have voted No because you don't agree with same sex marriage, that is different, and is your right.

But voting against it because you claim not to understand it, and can't be bothered to inform yourself?

That's a travesty.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

How would an adult "not understand" same sex marriage?

And why vote no when not understanding. Surely don't vote at all in that situation - if not inclined to do a bit of research to find out what it entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any person that says another person is ignorant is simply an IGNORANT person

...Like when you wrote this, you mean?

The ignorant person here is you

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Its none od my business as to how people choose to live, you want to speak for other people off with you. I make up my own mind, i do not feel the need to run with the crowd.

.The person who introduced word IGNORANCE to this conversation was not me, it was you and your supposed to MODERATE. cop on...

I can't remember the last time I read so much utter gibberish. And that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I concur, I was once on that dangerous journey to wokeness and fell in with liberals. We were offended about everything , and when we weren't offended we'd make up something to be offended by. And they're far from normal or sane that's for sure. You'd always know the one's who are easily lead. I just walked away from them, what kind of people would you expect in yoga and new age spiritual social justice circle's.

One of them seen my romper stomper soundtrack and a few DVD's they didn't like, that was it I was a racist. Romper stomper was basically an art house movie and the baddies got their karma, and there was also redemption. But no lol I was a racist and needed therapy FFS I walked away from them. They're like a cult these people.

Most people aren't liberals or woke, it's just the squeaky algorithm wheel seems to get the oil. That's what happens when people don't maintain their sanity... They squeak or make themselves known because they're too caught up in chaos and drama that they forget to look outside of the fog....

They're not people you'd like to talk current affairs with that's for sure, just going in the wrong direction, and love the aul vitrue signaling.... But they're fading away my son's generation in their early 20's make memes about them etc and can't stand liberalism etc and woke. It aint cool and a joke now.

Who are you talking to "the boss" but better to clarify...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Those pushy auld wans trying to jump the supermarket queue aren't getting past me I tell ya.

"You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

Its better travel alone going in the right direction than fallow the crowd going in the wrong direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

It's better to ignore a poster who only joined a few months ago and has hundreds of posts....

Maybe we should talk to you who says NOTHING...

Would you let me pass when the moon is shining through the middle of the blackthorn tree, where the newt looks cute and smells like brute, bares his fruit while playing the flute...

I shall put my magnifying glass to moonlight and manifest the dark flame and together we'll light up the shadow and Udûn will grant our way...

On our way we go, the moonlight dark flame we'll sow. The blackthorn tree our fantacy, OMG it's a fallacy

Absolutely then again the woke culture is something to laugh about. All the comedians have great fodder observing their lunacy and it's not hard to poke fun at them. They're quite rare to be honest. Great for filling in spaces. A bit like grit in amoungst tiles, they make great headlines. They're funny though.

Thanks for your nice words, i do enjoy a bit of banter.

Regards...

• Advertisement

Its the only way to get through the madness these days. I don't take it serious. As we're actually living in something like a twilight zone episode.

Every time I turn on a news channel I'm laughing at the state of things.

Here check this out it's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 28,140 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not 'mostly born out of ignorance'. They are the product of their time. If you grow up being taught certain values you will tend to stick to them, as most of the younger posters here will do when they are older. Some of the accepted beliefs of the current younger generation will become dated and unacceptable by the next generation - its impossible to know which ones at the moment, it depends on which way public opinion and social mores swings next. Its very likely that ultra-conservatism will return within 50 years and some of the liberal ideas of today will become shocking and unacceptable to public opinion.

Or, for example, today's whole fashion/possessions/style obsessions will be seen as disgraceful and profligate and people will wonder how people could continue selfishly consuming resources while others were starving or the planet was being depleted.

This is all down to generations being taught by authority and/or public opinion how they should think, and the vast majority going along with it, resulting in a particular school of thought then becoming more evident among older people who are of the same generation.

Meanwhile older people who continue to think and form their own opinions - and there are many of them - weigh newer ideas as they come along and accept some and reject others. An older person (just like any other) can, on the one hand respect others' rights to equal opportunities while rejecting the individuals who take advantage of this respect to push their own agenda.

she cancelled herself by being a bigoted bitch and got caught doing it on video. 

You are absolutely confident that she would not have done the same to a heterosexual couple eating the face off each other in public?

People have a right to tell/show others when somebody has behaved badly or committed a wrong against others 

That is extremely subjective, but on that basis she was entirely correct - it was her opinion that the two were committing a wrong and she 'showed' them. What have you other than opinion that someone is doing right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"old fashioned, elderly people" "Where do you draw the line? Do you indulge it?"

"Old fashioned elderly people" pah on them! "There is no middle way!" Put them into re-education camps. If they don't submit. Draw the line! Don't indulge it! Cancel them!

OP do have to ask why just "old fashioned elderly people"? Lets be fair here. What of anyone of any other nationality, culture or those who may have religious or other beliefs while in "this secular country" that may not coincide with your zeitgeist? Are those issues bigger than any of these "peoples feelings"?

Where would you draw the line, would you indulge it, if it was anyone else other than "old fashioned, elderly people"?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Its very likely that ultra-conservatism will return within 50 years

In an Irish context, that appears extremely unlikely. For starters, we don't have a "glorious past" to whip up nationalistic etc. fervour.

Also our previous conservatism was intimately bound up with mass adherence to Catholicism. That's not coming back.

Even in NI, where religious conservatism still has traction, the generations under 50 see the likes of the DUP as complete dinosaurs. It'll be a cold day in hell before the DUP are holding the balance of power in a united Ireland and using it to curtail abortion rights or whatever.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I take a live and let live attitude, as long as no-one is being hurt people can do what they want, I don't have to like it or agree with it just like they don't have to like or agree with what I do.

My Mother is quite religious and comes out with some mad stuff that she's been told to think (although she's coming around). My Dad is more liberal in his thinking an he usually says stuff deliberately to provoke a reaction, particularly about female pundits talking about football etc. I challenge them on this stuff all the time and I think over time its changed their thinking... or maybe just what they sat when I'm around :)

I got talking to random guy the other day, he was a bit odd, described himself as a true blue Dub, anyway I was in a situation where I couldn't get away from him so I had to stay and listen, he told me he was 60, quite ill, didn't like foreigners and then he told me a 'joke'. What do you call a man in a dress, a transvestite I replied, no a c0ck in a frock he said almost doubling over laughing.

As he was frail and ill I didn't challenge him on it, n'or did I laugh, I just did that most Irish of things and went 'oh right yea' and changed the subject. I think if you've reached old age with certain views you're fairly entrenched in them. I'm all for entering into spirited debate with someone but only someone who's prepared to listen but their views will only change if regularly challenged over time, that wasn't going to be the case with this guy. Now if there was a trans-person or a 'foreigner' standing next to us at the time and he was abusing them, that would be a different story.

To answer the original question, where I draw the line is, making a change where I can (with my parents or older relations I see regularly by respectfully challenging their point of view when I hear something I don't like - they are also free to challenge mine) and where someone is actually verbally or physically harming someone or threatening to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Pushing apart two consenting adults because it offends your beliefs is indeed inexcusable, and completely wrong to try to control other people in the way, in a public space where there are no laws to support her action. Not an opinion, she simply does not have any right to try and derail other people's freedom like that.

And as for the return to ultra-conservatism, that would seem nearly impossible given it was abuses of the church which fast tracked those social changes in Ireland. I'm not sure many of the conservative belief systems would be popular among those who don't follow or at least pretend to follow religious doctrine given how strongly grounded much of the thinking was in a religious background and upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,140 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I do in fact agree with you. The point I was making was against the description of a 'bigoted bitch' which appeared to refer to the nun's objection to a same-sex couple; she would not, presumably, have been a bigoted bitch if she had interfered with a heterosexual couple, just an old-fashioned busy-body?

As for the ultra conservatism, who can know what may happen in the future. The ultra conservatism is already taking hold in the USA and with little reference to the established churches, very much a recently invented gospel/born again/money making concoction which is proving very popular, but more important, intrusive and influential. In a couple of generations the iniquities of the established church(es) will be forgotten and could very easily be replaced by some sort of re-invented right-wing conservative religion. Future governments may find it very convenient to reinvent religion as a control mechanism, or simply the likes of tik tok and influencers use it as a hook to hang their like-getting on.

I think what you are saying is most people are infuenced by their peers and the media. The individual thought process has dissipated...

Conseses thinking, pretty common on boards, the "herd"etc.

IK actually agree with you....

I think what you are saying is most people are infuenced by their peers and the media. The individual thought process has dissipated...

Conseses thinking, pretty common on boards, the "herd"etc.

IK actually agree with you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I am respectful of religious beliefs, I wouldn't meddle in what people think nor feel like doing as long as it doesn't involve physically or verbally assaulting me or others.

Advertisement