Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cutting some slack' for old fashioned, elderly people?

Options
  • 21-07-2022 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭

Where do you draw the line? Do you indulge it?

Just came to mind recently as many of you may have seen a video on twitter of a young Italian lesbian couple kissing and are then physically broken apart and damned to hell by a very elderly nun. The couple think very little of it and sneer at her but I was surprised by the reaction online that many people thought the nun was in the right as this couple were 'disrespectful' towards her belief within close distance to what looked an old church/monastery or religious building (but it was a public street). I could not believe my eyes that anyone in 2022 would support a stranger physically assaulting others for no reason and enforcing religious beliefs upon non-believers (presumably). In fact it really pissed me off. Peple said to cut her some slack as it's what she was used to and didn't grow up to accept gay people. Well ffs, she has no choice but to accept it, it's a secular country maam. And how much slack do we think she gave gay peopleover the last 80 odd years of her life?

Done it myself as I am gay and followed the advice to keep it quiet around my grandparents for fear it upset them or caused issues or awkwardness in the family. That was back when I was a teenager and I'm in my mid twenties now and I feel huge regret that I never entertained the topic with them when they were in my life . 3 of the 4 of them are dead now not knowing that I was gay and I think it could have a very touching and beautiful connection that brought us closer, to feel comfortable to tell and to hopefully have them accept it. Anyway, my opinion is now that no, these issues are bigger and more important than elderly people's feelings and if they are sound of mind they should be expected to treat people with dignity as everybody else in society is expected to, no iffs no butts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know what video you are talking about, but I am confident that when you say "physically assaulted" you mean the modern day pissy pants definition of the phrase.

Thoughts and prayers for the young couple assaulted by the very old nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thought this was going to be about AIB...

Try PDAs in some cultures and you get a lot more than a pushing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be honest the nun may have had the same reaction to a young heterosexual couple.

Not everyone appreciates public displays of affection especially close to religious buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ah so because she didn't deck them in the face then it's not a big deal. How would you feel if somebody walked up to you and your girlfriend and had gaul to push you two apart ? No right to lay a finger on you especially not in such an entitled and rude manner

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

Respect is a two way street

You've no more right to push your beliefs onto people than they do onto you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yeah I ignore my mam's causal racism and sexist comments. She is just out of step and it more about not understanding what she is saying. She was really confused by grandchildren having trans friends whch I must admit I am unsure of how to address them on occasion. I mean you remember meeting somebody called Mary and the next time you meet them they are going by Frank and you are the bad one for "dead naming" them

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Why would being gay give you or anyone a closer connection to grandparents than being straight would? That would seem to imply that one orientation more significant or worthy than the other?

Indeed, why would any sort of orientation be deemed to be of greater or lesser importance significance than another?

I think PDAs, beyond a certain point, regardless of genders or orientations involved are unpleasant to have to witness. I don't want to see a straight couple snogging any more or less than a same sex couple.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I certainly would not consider myself to have been "physically assaulted", because I'm not a little bitch and I think that description should be reserved for actual assaults.

I would probably tell the elderly nun to **** off and mind her own business, but I definitely would not be crying into my pillows about the horrendous "assault" I suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

If by old-fashioned you meant wearing clothes that were in fashion 50 years ago, then sure, we could cut them some slack. Physically or verbally abusing people is not acceptable. A short stint in a cooler would do that nun good, she can take some time and think about what a loving religion Christianity is.

"Not everyone appreciates public displays of affection especially close to religious buildings etc."

Unless the religious building owns the street, it is a public space and the worshippers have no right telling other people how to behave. Besides, a little humility and acceptance is promoted by almost all religions.

Of course it's differnt seeing as often many elderly people are not told about their grandparents sexuality when they're not straight as they are assumed to be intolerant due to how little exposure they would have had to it in their generation. It's very common based on what I see among gay people I know. And some grandparents might appreciate that you trusted in them when they are told. Which would be a connection that does not occur when a grandparent has a grandchild who is straight given that is the default assumption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Because grandparents may suddenly show you support that you never thought they would. My Gran was a very grumpy person while I was a child but when I was an adult and suffering from health issues she was there for me. We became very close as a result. I didn't become closer with her by being sick but the amount of support she gave me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That video is a set up.

it’s clear by the histrionics of the ‘nun’ and the reaction of the ‘romantic couple’ that the whole thing is staged.

On the wider topic….slack for elderly people sure, but give an inch and take a mile is often an issue… some seem to think that they can do and say what they like regardless of the impact of the situation and their words / actions on others around them…that becomes tiresome too and they believe then they have a hall pass then to cause whatever problems or whatever difficulty to others… ‘ because I’m old, have some respect ‘.

From what I see of that that video the whole thing was deliberately engineered, like a honey pot sting to bait the nun into reacting. It was very obviously a staged affair on the part of the girls at least. I mean, who gets their friends to video them kissing, or what right thinking person wants to video a couple kissing.

I suspect that it may have been known to the couple that this particular nun who frequented that area had a reputation for public outbursts on issue that would run afoul of conservative thought. So they say right, lets hang around and wait for her to appear and then shift conspicuously, fully expecting (and wanting) her to have an outburst. From their reaction they were definitely not bothered by it. In fact, they seemed to revel in the nun's having taken the bait and becoming so outraged.

There is also the possibility that the whole thing is staged and that the "nun" was part of the act.

Also, there is no wider context to the video. For all we know the orchestrators could have been antagonising and provoking the old lady for hours or days before in order to prime her into a final outburst that was tweetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how is two people kissing pushing their beliefs on to anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You just have to laugh off incidents like this caused by elderly people, they're more than likely just out of touch with reality and it'll just be in one ear and out the other.

It's not.

But deliberately baiting someone you know to be liable to an outburst, and then filming them and trying to make a fool out of them for the sake of social media likes is not great form either.

The pair in the video just come across as attention seeking brats looking for notoriety.

Its in a similar league to fellas who go around with body cams on bikes trying to provoke car drivers into getting into arguments with them.

Gosh you're really jumping through hoops for this nun. Even if it's bait it doesn't excuse her behaviour. Odds are she's just a hateful old bint given the history of abuses and current school of thought still held by them towards the gay community. And nobody embrassed her but herself. You know, she didn't actually have to make a fool of herself? And then she did. Maybe you should think about that rather than thinking of every excuse under the sun to make her out to not be some kind of bigot.

You've even brought up the possibility the nun herself is a staged actor before you'll accept she's just an old biddy who did wrong and was completely out of line

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

Overt displays of homosexuality could be very well construed as pushing one's beliefs onto other people, especially if done around the confines of a religious institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Speaking as someone who's old enough to be a grandparent to a young person who's the right age to be figuring out their sexuality - that's bollox.

We had plenty of exposure to G+L issues and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why would you be cutting anyone some slack if they were brave enough to antagonise in the first place? Kick them while they’re down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

No one gives a fcuk bar yourself op, I think you're adrift in a sea of equality looking for something to be upset about

My parents are in their 70s. Obviously they won't always be liberal. Discussing these things politely and hearing them out is the way to find common ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭electricus

They key point:

The couple think very little of it and sneer at her

they weren’t forced to stop or move on, just an old nun reacting to to a couple being intimate close to a religious space, I’ve seen the same reaction to hetero couples in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

To be perfectly blunt I think bringing up the subject of being gay to one's grandparents and wider relatives, excluding one's parents, is a borderline antagonistic act.

Unfortunately we live in a climate where every minority seems to feel the need to shove their minority status whatever it might be down everyone's throats.

I mean I can't imagine why I would ever feel the need to tell my grandparents that I'm gay. Like, wtf for? The thought never crossed my mind.

I always find it ironic that the people who make more of a big deal of a person with a minority characteristic these days are the people with a minority characteristic, than everyone else.

Lol at your lack of self awareness. You just “shoved your minority status down all our throats” then by your own ret ded logic. I wonder what shite you’ve been reading online

Doubt she would have acted the same if it was a hetro couple as some were alluding to, she literally says they’re women,it’s the devils work, the devil, the devil then blesses herself. Thou shall not judge and all that, the Christian’s commenting under it doing a good job of that as well. Oh well at least they didn’t end up in a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Saw the clip. The whole thing appears staged to me.

I can’t understand why so many people fall for these “I just happened to be filming when this happened” TikTok’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I thought this thread was going to be about having patience for old people dithering in supermarket queues and at ATM machines

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'Models and crew' and a person recording on a phone, if that's not a set-up I don't know what is. Probably not even a genuine couple, actors.

Wonder if it was a Buddhist monk or a Muslim in their own countries that broke that up, would there be a different reaction?? Or would it be "be respectful to other cultures?"

Advertisement