Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cutting some slack' for old fashioned, elderly people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What sort of self absorbed dickheads stage these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I don't think you speak for anyone but yourself. I happened to be abroad when the vote took place and i was chatting to an English guy and he said.

That's all about money and i asked why. He said inheritance, widows pension, normal pension. Remember the two older guys that got married.

I am wondering if you nave money/land, we might have prospects?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doesn't appear that you have any idea about the democratic processes of Ireland

Yes people voted and it was passed which is ok.

Why do you think i do not know about democratic prossess? that would be a separate conversation i think, i can discuss if you up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

The Rainbow crowd need to learn respect in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what happens in years to come when you are older?

Let's say there is a conservative backlash, let's say over time people return to religion or develop other beliefs that contrary to what is considered progressive currently.

Would you be just "meh" about it, or would you prefer if people gave some respect to the values you grew up with and were a big part of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

World is fooking full of self-important pretentious pr1cks. All desperate for approval and attention. Just people being people, and now with social media and the likes, there no stopping us!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not all older people are bigoted and homophobic...it's just that the proportion of the population that are bigoted is higher among older age groups, mostly borne out of ignorance.

That "incident" was completely staged. Why goad a reaction out of someone just to mock them? And I say that as an out and proud gay man.

I'll just leave this here...

I know loads of young straight people who do not understand what it is to be gay, are they bigoted?

I think if you refer to a person as bigoted you need to clarify in some way.

Be interesting to read your reply?

Also explain what you mean by ignorance? ignorant of what?

why would i vote in favor of something i have no concept of,

What is it you are so confused about?

Do you understand the "concept" of a marriage between a man and a woman?

A gay marriage is exactly the same thing as a straight one, the only difference is its between two men or two women.

I hope that clears that up for you.

• Advertisement

I'm not confused, i just said i did not vote for it either way. Whats confused about that?

You know loads of young straight people who do not understand what it is to be gay...

Are you sure you're old enough to be posting on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Op, I am really intrigued about your thoughts on not letting your family know about your sexual orientation. You mention that you were advised not to share your homosexuality with your grandparents, who gave you this advice and more importantly, what motivated you to heed it?

I think it goes without saying that general public opinion has transformed since, as you insinuate, your grandparents generation. I might try to debate this slightly. I firmly believe that in the main, many of your grandparents' generation could not have given two hoots about anyone else's sexual preference? The concept that elderly people are walking around in the later stages of their lives, screaming blue murder about Adam and Steve sharing a house up the street is a bit presumptive, don't you think?

Finally, the concept that contemporary attitudes towards sexual preference are at the mercy of one generation, as opposed to another, is failing our understanding of other generations. Retrospective criticism of historical attitudes towards anything is potentially discriminatory, insofar as it fails to comprehend social awareness practiced in that era. Your notion that everyone over 80 needs to pull up their socks and get with the programme is not offering those people the respect that they deserve? Not only are you assuming that they don't agree or approve of your lifestyle, you are also demanding that they have a duty to do so. They actually don't owe any younger generation a thing.

Old enough and i have something to say, you have no comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can vote whichever way that you want, but your self-professed ignorance and lack of understanding really aren't anything to crow about. I follow no crowd, BTW.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You state here you have no concept of [gay marriage] and do not understand.

You repeat here, that you do not understand [gay marriage]

So you say multiple times that you "don't understand," but you're not confused? Doesn't seem that way to me. Unless its an act, of course.

Here's a comment.

I'm not buying the niave confused "I don't understand" act.

BS.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My example is very hypothetical.

The point being that we all get old and what society consider as values change over time.

Thus should we expect respect for our values when we are older?

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

That's no excuse for that nun to attack people.

In 2015 and 2018 the 65+ age group were, as expected, the most conservative in Ireland - but they were nothing like as conservative as pundits were predicting.

Cut 'em some slack!

Atheism is actually on the rise among 80-somethings according to census data.

• Advertisement

Quite a large proportion of the adult population know how to drive a car, most of these people know little of how a car works. Are these people ignorant?

i think not. The ignorant person here is you as not accepting the opinion of another person as it doesn't fit your agenda.

There is no need for people to understand, its just for the people that are gay, let others live the way they want to live. I have no idea what the gay population is but i am guessing under 10% why is it necessary for the other 90% to understand.

If gay people want to be accepted they have to accept that they need to accept other opinions.

Are you saying that what he said is incorrect?

Are people not entitled to the things he said.

If the info is wrong you are well entitled to correct what i said.

Your comments are making absolutely no sense. None.

On one hand, you're saying "let people live the way they want to live" but on the other you'd have voted against gay people having the same right to marry that everyone else has.

That's a direct contradiction to "letting people live the way they want to live".

You're either a WUM or being wilfully ignorant, pretending you don't understand.

Any person who says another person is "ignorant" because they have a different opinion has zero credibility.

I will do as i please. off with you with your cheap name calling, says alot about you...

I think you're being willfully ignorant. Look it up.

Your claim of "I don't understand the concept" has no credibility, unless you've been living under a rock somewhere for the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

People have the right to have their own views on the world, if they are against homosexuality, gender change, abortion, etc then that is their right.

The woke people need to start having some maturity and stop canceling and throwing their toys out of the pram whenever someone has a different view on the world. I can't stomach woke people and I would never engage with one. I don't chat to them online and I sure as hell would avoid them if I saw them in public.

Also it is not just elderly people who have different views on the world, not all millennials are extreme liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How does one recognise a "woke" person on the street, pray tell? Do they wear badges now? Some kind of lapel pin, perhaps???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is this related to the video? The woke didn't 'cancel' her , she cancelled herself by being a bigoted bitch and got caught doing it on video. That's the thing here, it's not cancelling which is the issue for you. If the couple had kissed on sacred grounds where it's not allowed, and were widely condemned for doing so, I very much doubt you'd take issue with them being 'cancelled' for that. Because that would have been wrong of them to do. Just like the nun was completely in the wrong here.

The problem you have here is that you are unhappy that there are now widespread consequences for treating people poorly, and of course that's just a ridiculous stance to hold. People have a right to tell/show others when somebody has behaved badly or committed a wrong against others and unfortunately for the nun this was 100% on her. Calling it 'cancelling' is just a nonsense distraction from the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Like most people with an opinion to give these days they largely behind an online handle and shout at everyone.

• Advertisement

Your looking for sympathy... I really do not care what you think. You assume people who do not agree with you are ignorant.

How ignorant is that...

Advertisement