Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Cutting some slack' for old fashioned, elderly people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That is so obviously staged. Extremely poor acting. Look at the expressions on the girls' faces when the nun gets between them. They were expecting this to happen.

I'm another one who thought this thread was going to be about AI fcuking B. That is a far bigger issue for the elderly and people generally than this nun rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no, they can't. what happens in other people minds is down to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Using the same logic one could argue that if homosexuality antagonises it's followers, the religious institution constitutes a hate group and should be banned on those grounds.

Watched the video. Ah here... this isn't a homophobic attack on a couple... this is a stunt carried out to be provocative (and really, doing so to mock the Catholic church in a western country is about as edgy as a sponge ball). Very old nun in "objecting to something that she disapproves of, and that her religion condemns, which was deliberately set up to provoke this reaction" shocker. She shouldn't have put her hands on the women but crikey, she barely touched them.

This does not mean I agree with her, or that I'm OK with the disgusting comments replying to the tweet, but something was aimed for by this setup, and mission accomplished. She's not just any old person, she's a nun.

And the women look delighted, and cameras just happened to be filming this random incident.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Is that not to be expected? Would it not be more noteworthy when others are getting offended on behalf of minorities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Absolutely bang on. A total and utter setup to bait the nun into a reaction, to which they seem to take great delight in when it came.

Can you imagine how much more milage they would have been able to extract from the affair if it had been an elderly or middle aged man that took the bait?

To be honest the nun was a bit of a dope to not be able to spot that it was a deliberate set up designed to make her look like an eejit, and she was a foolish enough to take the bait. I mean, they had one or two people shuttling around the area with cameras not making much effort to be discreet.

But then, she looks to be very old indeed and maybe her mental faculties are not as sharp as they were.

In my opinion everybody in that video comes across as a gobshite in one way or another. The girls for their cynical baiting of an elderly person so they will get social media likes, and then nun for taking the bait and freaking out.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd have assumed based on the fact it was being shot on a mobile it was photos being taken for Instagram... hence the "Models" answering that they were "working" instead of trying to excuse the old homophobe's actions by assuming she was set up. TBH, I don't care if she was set up, she's a disgrace.

@[Deleted User]: to those of us who aren't Catholic (i.e. the majority of the world's population): a nun is the same as any other person deserving no more, or less, respect than any other man, woman or child. Her hateful views on homosexuality, whether formed through indoctrination or her own thoughts, are inexcusable. I'd agree that it was far from an assault and the girls look more bemused than hurt or offended. TBH, their reaction to this level of homophobia is pretty much spot on: it's something to be laughed/sneered at rather than something to run to the courts about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well then get the fúck over yourself and look the other way.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There's grandparents and there's grandparents.

My mother in law is nearly 90, her youngest grandchild is 11.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Wish people wouldn't read things that aren't there. I didn't say whatsoever that being a nun makes her special (I'm not a practising catholic or even a believer) - I mentioned it because a nun is highly likely to be homophobic so what's the surprise about?

Also, the OP said "old people" - that's a varied group. An old person like my mother is a lot more liberal than a nun who's probably 15 years older than her.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Instead of focusing on egde cases that plays into progressive's victim culture another question should be asked. Given that the OP can know rely on the state to impose this ideology on people and arrest them for "hate crimes" should they dissent, the query becomes at what stage should the general public start mocking the perpetually offended types.

🙄.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Disagree with this.

People develop regardless of age. Shocked at my dad voting yes to same sex marriage (we talk more now).

People's opinions change. I don't like seeing pda.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I happened to be out of the country for both the referendum on both same sex marriage and abortion. I think its likely if i was here i would not have voted at all.

On abortion my view is its a huge personal decision and i don't think its anyone's business only the few people directly involved, why do they need my approval.

If i did vote on gay marriage i would likely vote against as why would i vote in favor of something i have no concept of, i have absolutely no problem with gay people but participating in something i do not understand a stretch for me.

Respecting the differances is what i be about...

I have no idea of your thought process, but fair play on your honesty.

I'm not gay, but I saw it as meh referendum. What's the problem?

Abortion. That's a tough one. I agree with female bodily control. Most definitely. But relationships may break up over decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Nothing worse than being offended because someone else wasn't offended.

Or not offended because someone else was offended.

Turn the other cheek has a whole lot of different meaning.

Stick and stone's....

I don't have a problem with any of it, what i cannot understand is people have passionate opinions on something they have no knowledge of. I really think all of these are personal choices. I suppose i think some things should be decided by government without a vote but i suppose that against our constitution. I remember i was in Spain when the gay marriage vote took place and when i asked it was legal there in 2005 i think with a general vote. I also couldn't understand why 70% voted for something and the vast majority did not know what they were voting for. They were voting for other peoples rights, why would i bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don’t know about anyone else but overtly public displays of affection no matter what your sexual orientation is just gross. Get a fooking room!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She's right though.

Get a fückin room.

Where would you be drawing the line? I've seen it all at festivals and in Clubs in the past, everything from swopping spit to mutual masturbation to barely concealed intercourse and my reaction to it all is always the same - go and find somewhere private if you want to get off, nobody else is interested in your sights and sounds, doesn't matter if you're straight, gay or whatever.

Theres a huge difference between affection between two people and straight up ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Augme

"Omg the whole thing was stahed" comments are very entertaining. How do people thing photoshoots happen? That the photographers, crew and models just all randomly turn up by coincidence?

Very tough one. Especially abortion it'll definitely impact women way, way more. And rightly so. Men can be effected as well though

Very entertaining yeah? 😊

People are posting that they think it might not be staged, so such comments are in response to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So regardless of whether this was staged or not, this entire thread is an example of the hypersensitivity of the modern age.

Even the way the OP is written is an example of this. Bear with me now.... While I agree with most of his/her underlying point in that people should be free to express themselves, there are limits of respect for others too that are lost among the "OMG WTF it's 2022 like!" tone, coupled with the "oh the humanity" angle while simultaneously almost congratulating the 2 girls for "sneering" at the archaic dinosaur who objected - then veering into a personal anecdote with mention of death to almost infer anyone who disagrees with the post should be ashamed of themselves.

Again, I am not taking a pop at the OP themselves or the point they're trying to make but it shows the attitude today to different views and some people's views of their own rights or entitlements. Essentially, this idea that everyone is free to do whatever they want to express themselves regardless of how others might feel or how it might affect them - BUT if similar behaviour by those others impacts on the first group... Well, that's a different story!!

I'm in my late 40s and my attitude to this is that people should absolutely be free to be themselves, but that doesn't give them the right to disrespect others in doing so. Pure common sense (admittedly something that seems to have been largely lost these days) would tell you that a lesbian couple having a PDA outside a Catholic church in Italy of all places would be just trying to provoke a response which is exactly what happened here.

Leaving aside the obvious staged nature of the incident, the narcissistic attitude of many nowadays is a huge problem as well as the hypersensitivity I mentioned earlier. This need to flaunt identity (particularly sexuality) and "rights" at every opportunity (preferably also for the attention of others in viral videos) has gotten out of control among the younger generation IMO.

The reality is that most people (and I would include myself in this category) outside of the social media bubble and your own immediate circle don't give a toss whether you're gay/straight/bi/whatever, don't care what you think about some culture war/race issue in America, and have no interest in listening to you go on about your personal views on politics, the environment, or whatever really. Most people just want to live their own lives, have their own struggles, opinions and views, and just want to be left alone in a live and let live society.

The problem now though is that that attitude is no longer enough for some. It's no longer enough to simply be tolerant, or even just neutral or apathetic. Now you're expected to not only support whatever the cause of the week is, but be vocal about your support and denigrate anyone who not just disagrees, but who even just asks uncomfortable (but entirely reasonable) questions about it. The supposed liberals have become everything they originally campaigned against without even realising it.

The damage this is doing to even our own society and social cohesion is immense, especially as many of the "causes" relate to issues or problems that we here in Ireland have no history of, or connection with but are copy/pasted from America's deeply divided culture, and we're told we MUST care about - even at the cost of our own culture, values or beliefs.

Apologies for going on a lot longer than expected here, but THAT is a far bigger problem than a lesbian couple being (allegedly) "denied their rights" in my view!

Talk about clueless.

Yes abortion should be entirely a personal decision. To make that possible it was necessary to repeal the 8th amendment. Not voting was an endorsement of the status quo.

Same with marriage equality. You can't say you have nothing against gay people if you are happy to see them have fewer legal rights than yourself.

Of course they knew what they were voting for. Another daft comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I used to think you had to be respectful of the fact that people from other generations were not ready to deal with certain things, now I think pretty much like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I am well capable of making my own decisions. The people that are clueless are prople like you that fallow the crowd and really have no opinion of their own.

Let them be gay if they want, i will not be voting for something i do not understand, maybe you have more knowledge in this area?

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well I'd be a bit dismayed but I wouldn't be heading off anywhere to report an assault.

Advertisement