Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

2 watches are needed. You never ever stop the main watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yep... Rule 101.

And write down the time the match started ie 3.00 , so if anything happened you could guestimate that the half should be over by 3.45 , and add on you few minutes for injuries etc...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Forgot about this thread, but now that I see it, in 2 Adult Camogie matches I was at over the last month (teams different), a member of the management team has shouted at the ref that he's a 'fúcking cúnt'...a 'fúcking joke', a 'cúnt', a 'príck'.

Y'know there's something really vile about it when it's Camogie (that may be a sexist thing to say, but whatever). Both times, it included Male management team members giving the abuse. Once it also included what I think was a logistics girl, probably being noted as 'stats' even though she only takes the scorers down, likely there just to have a female on the management team as per the rules but doesn't have a notion about the game at all.

Not nice at all..Worst of all, I'd go as far as saying none of the decisions by the refs were any bit controversial beyond maybe a 50/50. The over abuse to refs for sometimes not calling for overcarrying, sometimes calling for overcarrying 'too early', calling for throw ball or not etc., is genuinely ruining the game now...and mostly it's the Management giving the abuse, not the players who, a lot of them, just want to enjoy their Hurling/Camogie and not listen to that kind of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭celt262

Once it also included what I think was a logistics girl, probably being noted as 'stats' even though she only takes the scorers down, likely there just to have a female on the management team as per the rules but doesn't have a notion about the game at all.

Is that because she is a woman?

Ya it is bud. Good man.

*I go to support Camogie more tha most, and yet your sad mind writes that stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭celt262

Of course I’ll get pissy. If I mentioned the logistics person was a guy would ye be reacting like this?

Very often, the ‘stats’ person or ‘logistics’ person hasn’t a clue about the game. They’re usually just writing numbers down etc. their logistics person had a pen and paper with them and ticking stuff off, yet was f’ing and blinding at the ref when the couldn’t have been watching the match properly.

Honestly lads will ye get a grip of yourselves and grow up.

"likely there just to have a female on the management team as per the rules but doesn't have a notion about the game at all."

If they are doing Stats they would need to know the game.... Do club teams need 'logistics' personnel ??

"If I mentioned the logistics person was a guy would ye be reacting like this?"

You said that it was a token woman (as per the rules) , and then that she prob hadnt a notion about the game - Double whammy!

Us grow up ??

You are the one making wild (stupid) assumptions about token women on the line, and their knowledge of the game .......

• Advertisement

that’s what I’m saying. They don’t need to ‘know’ the game when doing stats. But calling the ref all the names I listed above when they aren’t actually ‘management’ is too far.

Honestly my man I’ve seen enough of your posts in this thread and others to know not to waste my time with you, so I’ll leave it here.

🤣🤣

CAn you read?

I said they would need to understand the game to do stats.... Keeping score is not doing stats......

Whether they are on the management team or not (why would that matter?) no one should be abusing refs from the sidelines.

As for your last little snide remark .....

I'll miss your engagement ....

🤣😂🤣...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Shameful treatment of Paul Faloon and a weak statement from Down GAA this evening

Kilcoo appealed ref choice on 'grounds of perceived bias' - Down board break silence (the42.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Quitelife

There is no doubt its hard get referees but some people that are referring dont have the ability and are not capable which ends up in chaos and they end up giving the vast majority of referees a bad name . These same bad referees dont seem to realise how bad they are and some of them are only doing it for money & dont care of the impact they have on teams, players etc .

There should be a cull of the bottom 10% of referrees in each county and increase the fee to the remaining referees and continue to actively seek new referees .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If someone with that attitude carries out a cull, then all referees should go on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Quitelife

In Limerick its the same 3 or 4 referees that are involved in conterversal episodes etc , the other 40 seem to get on fine, why should 3 or 4 drag the whole thing down . it seems some here are happy to have any tom dick or harry reffing even if they arent capable.

Paul Faloon was appointed to officiate the match. Kilcoo objected to first at county level before taking a case to the GAA’s DRA after the Down Hearings Committee ruled against them. The ruling was delivered on Saturday.

Whatever went on then behind the scenes, Down GAA said they were forced to get David Gough.

Hours before throw-in, Gough opted out. Brian Higgins stepped in.

Down GAA have said the objections were baseless.

Kilcoo just set a very dangerous precedent. It has to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Some people suddenly becomes 10% and then they are only doing it for the money (€40 for all that time and the hassle doesn't sound much to me).

They are always looking for new refs, with youth programs to get them started early.

But the constant abuse, the demand for perfection from an amateur, the constant blaming of all ills on the ref without looking at their own issues.

Mistakes happen. He'll, look at VAR and even at the Rugby. And guess what? Players miss kicks, mentors pick the wrong players.

Of course if a ref has a bad game, or is clearly not able for the level, then action should be taken.

But contrary to popular belief there are very few terrible decisions. There are plenty of decisions that can be viewed in a different way, and strangely enough that different way tends to be in favour of your particular team, but actual incorrect application of the laws are few. But in a game with maybe 100+ decisions getting one incorrect is a pretty decent outcome

Post edited by Leroy42 on

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

I attended an u14 girls b final in wicklow on Sunday and the abuse hurled at the ref from the sideline was shameful. At one point I actually asked a group of adults who were standing beside me supporting Annacurra if they wouldn't mind stopping the yelling and cursing as it was disgraceful. One of the lads took great upset at this until i pointed out (quite calmly) that it was an U14 match, and the ref was a volunteer and that such behaviour from an adult was utterly disgraceful and he should be ashamed of himself. There was a few more shouts but much less than before. I had nobody playing in the game, my daughter just wanted to go and watch as some of her friends were playing, so had no major desire to see either team winning. Annacurra went on to win by one point and while the celebrations on the pitch were ongoing another parent (grown up in age but perhaps not so much in mentality) spent a good few minutes carrying on with the abuse of the ref as he headed back to the car. I wasn't close enough to intervene at that point, but did manage to snap a good pic of the culprit. Again, shameful behaviour for an adult at a children's game.

If that is normal and commonplace at underage games then i would be suggesting no supporters allowed at the sidelines at all. How would you encourage anyone to be a ref with that sort of personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Well then if the ref has issues with certain areas of the game they get training and assistance from the county board/referees association etc. Its nonsense to say theyre only doing it for money when its a very nominal fee for what work the officials do put in in terms of matches, travel, training.

How often do referees in every county meet up to discuss rules of the game, how to manage certain areas of the game etc.

In rugby the refs meet monthly/fortnightly(varies per province). also do online training yearly as well in certain aspects of the game.

If you have a problem now with the so called bottom 10% of officials and they were to be culled. you would in 2/3 years time be calling for a culling of the 10% at bottom then and we would go on until we had nobody left refereeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Absolutely.

In my opinion no referee should have been prepared to do that game in Down. There should have been a boycott.

Crazy that Kilcoo could dictate a referee appointment like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone know what Kicoo's beef was with Faloon? Were there issues from a previous match or what?

... wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah come on. This type of question suggests maybe they had a point here. FFS.

If we go down that road then every team that has a refs decision go against them would be looking for a change in the official.

The worst thing was they hammered the other team anyway. They had no need at all to do what they did. What they did was just shameful.

If a referee says this, then fair enough.

If anyone else says, I say - try reffing yourself sometime.

Also, this notion that they are doing it for the money. Two hours out of your Sunday for 40 euros. Its hardly lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Supposedly due to him blowing up a game involving Kilcoo a minute early whilst they were one point behind.

Allegedly a Kilcoo "supporter" showed up at his house to confront him after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I wasn't suggesting that actually. It's just that's it's such a strange situation, I was wondering what the back story is.

I don't think clubs should be allowed to object to a ref unless it's an absolutely exceptional case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That's a bit specious, if we don't know why they did it then we can't accurately judge why they did it.

And don't give me that "there is never a good reason" guff. I can dream up many reasons where a complaint might be valid.

If they just thought that he would be biased then **** them, but even then they aren't the first club to request a ref be kept away from their games.

Either way, the actual reasoning matters.

• Advertisement

What is a good reason to pull a stunt like this?

Advertisement