Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's not wrong I have seen referees changing in broom cupboards, toilets etc. Even if there is a referees room it a small pokey room you would not swing a cat in 90% of the time unless the ground is a club championship ground. I remember at an underages match a referee changing in our dressing room while we were having a few words with team in Adare 7-8 years ago. I was involved from u10-adult for 15+ years.

If there was a schmozzal as the teams came out every one would be saying where was the ref. At all championship and intercounty games referees are ALWAYS on the field before the team come out. At club championship level 90% of the time the referees stay in the pitch chatting to umpires and linesman they have with them unless it's pouring rain.

So sorry everything you said above is incorrect.

At the end of it all BG were on the wrong threw a wobbly and referees should not have to put up with that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"So sorry everything you said above is incorrect."

Well there we go then. 😏

Close the thread..........................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tyrone GAA is to investigate the circumstances of a serious incident at an underage fixture during which two men, understood to be a referee and an umpire, were stabbed.

A man in his 40s was arrested and taken into custody for questioning after PSNI officers attended the scene at the sports ground on Convent Road in Cookstown, Co Tyrone. He has since been released on police bail to allow for further enquiries.

One man was taken to hospital and a second man received treatment at the scene.

It is understood that the two men who were injured were the referee and an umpire.

In a statement, Tyrone GAA said that as the organising body, it was treating the incident "most seriously" and would conduct its own investigation into the circumstances.

"We will be offering our support to those affected. We can make no further comment at this time," it added.

The GAA has also condemned the incident, describing it as "totally unacceptable".

It said in a statement that it condemns "in the strongest terms possible terms the incident that marred an underage game in Tyrone last night leaving two people injured".

It added: "As an organisation we have a duty of care to protect our volunteer officials and the events that unfolded in Cookstown are totally unacceptable.

"We will work with the PSNI and our units, at both county and club level, to establish the facts around what occurred and, in the meantime, we extend our best wishes to those who were injured in the incident.

"Any supports required for our underage players and members will be provided."

Chief executive of Ulster GAA Brian McAvoy extended his thoughts to the injured men.

"I have been involved in the GAA for over 50 years and never known anything like this and anyone I have spoken to today has never known anything like it either, so it seems to be a first and hopefully a last," he said.

"Our thoughts go out to the referee and umpire who were injured in the incident.

"It's a traumatic time for them and also for the two young teams. This attack happened in front of children and that can't be lost. It's unacceptable that it happens at all, but it's magnified when it happens in front of children.

"I know the Tyrone County Board in conjunction with the two clubs have initiated support mechanisms for any aftermath that they may have suffered."

The PSNI has appealed to any witnesses or anyone with footage of what happened to contact them.

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service confirmed it received a 999 call at 9.03pm yesterday evening.

An emergency crew was sent to the scene and NIAS said that following assessment and initial treatment at the scene, a patient was taken to Antrim Area Hospital.

Cookstown Fr Rocks Under-16s boys team were playing Fintona Pearses in a championship semi-final at Paddy Cullen Park in Cookstown.

Cookstown GFC said it is now supporting children and young people "who witnessed this disturbing and very serious incident".

It said that a committee will work to ensure the children have the support and assistance they require in the coming days.

Cookstown GFC said that its thoughts are with the individuals impacted by the incident.

In a statement, Fintona Pearse said that the club is aware of a serious incident that occurred at an underage football match which the PSNI are investigating.

"Our thoughts are with those impacted and all focus is on the welfare of the children and young people present," it said.

Footage posted on social media appears to show police officers responding to the incident at the GAA grounds.

Sinn Féin's Stormont leader Michelle O'Neill described the incident as shocking.

In a post on Twitter, she said: "This was a shocking incident at Padráig O'Cuilinn Pairc yesterday evening. My thoughts are with those injured and impacted.

"Anyone with any information should assist with police inquiries. I commend the work that's now under way to assist and support the young people who were at the game."

SDLP spokesperson for Sport Justin McNulty said "everyone is shocked at hearing about this appalling incident."

"Spectators, players and officials should be able to attend and participate in matches without being subjected to something like this," he said in a statement.

Local SDLP MLA Patsy McGlone said that the local community in Cookstown was worried about what happened but that it was hoped this was a "one-off".

Mr McGlone said a stabbing incident was "not the sort of thing you want at any sporting event".

"It’s not the sort of thing you certainly want in front of a crowd of youngsters, a crowd of young people participated. It sends a very bad message out," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This is extremely serious and I for one expect the GAA to come down like a ton of bricks on this guy. Could even give him a two week ban and then rescind it on appeal because he's not that kind of lad.

Then back to trying to figure out why nobody wants to ref for them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think stabbing people goes beyond the usual norm of ref abuse. I'd expect a jail sentence of a few years for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in Realt Dearg’s post my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is it though because that's usually what happens in most ref assault cases?

This case seems particularly crazy though, don't think I've ever heard of a ref being stabbed before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to the article I read, apparently the man confronted the ref, then went to his car to get a penknife and came back and stabbed the two officials.

To me, that sounds intentional - could it result in attempted murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

We’ll get the usual sh1te about Ulster being different as they’ve been under the Brit jackboot forever and this impacts on their behaviour and we should be understanding of this (as per the Antrim eye gouging last year) . The GAA will run this though a never ending list of committeeeeeees and then the perpetrator will get a strong verbal warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was being sarcastic but to be fair, given the way the GAA responds to these incidents, I can totally understand why someone might not think I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Some sort of jail is appropriate. The judge should also ban this person from sports grounds for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If a man can stab a ref at a match imagine what he is capable of on a night out after a feed of drink..he should be locked up.and recieve a lengthy if not lifetime ban from sports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

This was a kids match! Wait for the mental health/ addiction card being played.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Seadin

Some referees don't help themselves with blatant obvious wrong calls. Camogie game last week Cork v Kilkenny. Cork should have got two penalties and none were called. Whatever about the first penalty which could be 50/50, the 2nd challenge was definitely a penalty. Unbelievable. I know if it was the men's game and a top team had that challenge done to them it would definitely be a penalty

Worse decision I ever saw was Meath v Louth in 2010, I never seen a desperate call as bad as that. He can have no complaints why supporters came onto the field to have a go at him especially when it was never a goal. I wouldn't blame them at all even though if it was wrong. He was giving the goal without consulting the umpires properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This epitomises everything that is wrong about attitudes towards officials in the GAA. He wouldn't blame the individuals who came onto the pitch and assaulted the ref after he made a mistake. In fact the ref can have no complaints about being assaulted.

Why would anyone ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

echoing down the middle but thats just so wrong

A ref has split second to make decisions. they wont get them all right its impossible to. they may be unsighted or whatever. always loads of over the top criticism for a ref who dont get enough training/support or backing from any sources and its always their fault not anyone elses.

Talking about 2010 and saying no complaints shows how clueless you are and just exactly why there is serious issues with refereeing in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Seadin

Come on you won't see a worse decision on the field. Sheridan never made any attempt to play the ball and referee left it stand. He then stayed on the field booking any players who challenged the decision after the final whistle. What did the ref expect fans would do? They were raged and he didn't help himself. If he was smart he should have gathered himself rather quickly and get out of there after such a blooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Referees should be armed with guns and knives to repel any such assailants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its 13 years let it go. who cares. move on. your attitude is why this thread exists, why incidents keep happening of abuse and why there wont be any change any time soon

RIP to Jimmy Cooney who passed away at age 68.

Cooney was part of the Galway hurling team that won the All-Ireland final in 1980.

He was also a club player with the Sarsfields side which flourished in the 80s and 90s, winning county and All-Ireland titles.

He was one of six brothers who played with that club, including Joe.

After his playing career he took up refereeing.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What happened that day was awful for the Louth players and the ref. But, seriously, what was he doing booking the Louth players after the final whistle. Surely he must have known at that stage what he and the umpires had done. Instead of reflecting briefly on it, and done a runner, he started getting his book out in an act of arrogance.

Of course, the Louth supporters were completely out of order. We all get riled up at matches, but I would never think of actually getting up of my seat and going for the ref. That's barbaric. But Seadin has a point in that he didn't help himself that day. However your other comment that he can have no complaints on the Louth supporters coming on the pitch and abusing him is very wrong, and demonstrates a strange mentality in even putting that point forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭supernova5

unfortunately poor Jimmy will be always known as the ref inadvertently implicated with one of Gaa's most infamous saga's

Well, he won a fair few all Irelands as a player too

1 county and 1 club...

What an error , and that was his last one. 😫

Happened a soccer ref i know in a League of Ireland match too.

His first mistake was not restarting his watch after a player that was injured got up, and the game restarted.

His second mistake was, once he realised his mistake, he just guessed what was left !!!!!!??

He had to be locked in the dressing room , and wasnt 'given a game' for a month because of it .......

Any update about the game in Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

This is one of the most unpleasant posts I’ve ever read. Jimmy Cooney was an absolute gent. And here we have a random poster belittling an all Ireland senior IC and an all Ireland senior club medal haul.

What are you on about ????

Where did i 'belittle' him???

Please show me .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Don't forget the "pillar of the local community" card

Advertisement