Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The players know the rules, and are able to exploit them. Like in organising mass onfield brawls/melees, where nobody can be easily singled out. But they know not to physically attack referees, which is why it is rare. Or even to verbally abuse them seriously. Cases like Diarmuid Connolly and Paul Galvin are among the rare examples.

Interview here with the solicitor who represented Kilcoo. He says that it used to be impossible for any team to challenge the appointment of a referee. But that was changed to allow club teams do it in their own county. Begins at 3 hours 15, for about 10 minutes.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/sunday-sport/programmes/2023/1022/1412344-sunday-sport-sunday-22-october-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The ref made a mistake. It can happen to anyone. End of the game, he is probably tired, action is happening pretty quickly.

He was correct in that it was a foul, just his application of the award was incorrect.

Jaysis, we are getting pretty deep into things now when refs can't even make a genuine mistake, which he rectified, without people saying he was basically asking for the reaction.

Maybe, and here's a thought, maybe the player, who wasn't even playing and therefore shouldn't have even entered the pitch should learn how to deal with his emotions. The man who attacked the ref is upset because his team didn't get a penalty that they shouldn't have got! Would he react the same way if a ref gave a point but was then checked by Hawk-Eye and reversed? It's pathetic.

My god. Now refs are being attacked for applying the rules correctly but it upset the man?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

(i) there are so many rules, they are every changing and these guys like the rest of us are amateurs. The rule in question is about what what the appropriate free is when a guy is lieing down on the ball in just outside the parralelogram. Pretty fuppin obscure stuff.

(ii) the linesman corrected him, and to his credit he changed the decision.

(iii) and most of all - there is zero equivalence between a referee making a mistake, and a referee getting attacked. However by entering into this whataboutery, you are creating an equivalence.

There is only one way to deal with this. Only one. The team in question is given a championship ban next year. There is ZERO point in punishing just the player here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tullamore should be facing a suspension from games for the rest of the season, that fan facing a lifetime ban from games and he should be looking at an assault charge.

What kind of scumbag must he be to act like that. If a 5 yr old acted like it you would be disgusted at the immaturity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

He's a national panel referee who has to pass a rules test which is something in to 90% area for a pass and its timed. He knows the rules at worst he made an error under pressure which was corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

On refs and rules and mistakes.

Every player I've seen, at club or county level, in every single game, makes mistakes. And mistakes that involve every simple skill in the game - from rising to striking the ball. Sometimes it's down to pressure, sometimes its down to a simple timing issue or just having an off day. But every player will make mistakes in a game.

But there's a culture of expecting the ref to be perfect - even including var/tech will not make refs or the application of rules perfect. It's called being human.

Yesterday, the ref didn't make a mistake. He listened to his umpires and linesmen and rectified the problem. If he didn't do that, there'd be another problem.

Tullamore couldn't handle losing and took it out on the ref. That's as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I tried to stress the that the club and player should be severely punished and that a ref not knowing the rule was in no way any justification for that type of behaviour, but to quote "my God", maybe try to keep the "emotions" out of it.

I've no issues at all with referees making mistakes, everyone makes mistakes in the sense of bad passes, calls, decisions etc but knowing the rules and applying them correctly would be my baseline expectation for a referee.

Agree with your way of dealing with it, a years champion ban for a year would be appropriate and this behaviour won't stop until severe bans like that are handed down.

But let's deal with reality as well. Players, managers (some) etc are amateurs as well. It's an emotional game at the best of times. Local rivalries etc. Part of what makes the game so great, sometimes. If as you've stated in (i) is an problem, which I also agree it is, then it needs to be addressed. I'm not trying to draw equivalence, I'm discussing it as it is part of the story.

I understand that some people won't be able to comprehend the two separate points I'm making. So just to be clear:

Does it mean that refs should ever be abused? Absolutely not. A years ban for the club would be a great start.

Once they've got that in order they could then focus on eliminating the "fuppin obscure stuff".

I get that.

My point I suppose is that when the conversation is:

Well, this is absolutely brutal that refs are getting attacked...

and the next point in return is:

Correct, though he should never have made that mistake.

Its giving (in my view) the impression that the response was somehow justified, or provoked, by bad refereeing.

You might not see it that way, I do.

I have absolutely no issue with a conversation on refereeing standards. However I just dont think it should be anywhere near a conversation about why referees are being attacked, or what the GAA should do about it.

We have all seen games where refs have made mistakes. It should be expected that they will make mistakes. Again, its an amateur sport, & they are doing their best.

Why even bring the 'mistake' up then? You are trying to understand why the player reacted the way he did, sure the ref was partly to blame is the point you are trying to make.

Tullamore lost, this player couldn't handle that and decided to take his frustration out on the ref. As others have said, it shows a complete lack of emotional control and intelligence.

You point seems to be that the ref upset the player and therefore he was in some way partly to blame. Its rubbish. Players, mentors, spectators, etc need to learn to deal with their emotions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Did he not initially award a free, consulted with his umpires, then awarded a penalty before the linesman clarified that it was outside the small square so was only a free? If the umpires were consulted, you'd wonder how on earth they managed to say it was inside the small square.

• Advertisement

Your last point - this is why the club needs a ban. This sort of behaviour is never ever a case of an isolated individual.

If a clubs ethos is to respect referees, if a mentors ethos is to respect referees, then the players follow on from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I get how you're seeing it. For me, I can separate the two, and they are very separate in my head. I tried to stress that from the first post.

I think punishment, proper and severe punishment for clubs and people involved should be the first thing addressed. I will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I actually taught about it after posting it , the referee probably should have been clearer at the start, if he was unsure he should have asked the linesman before making any decision in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Thats nonsense. Yes an official can be unsure of rules occasionally but thats on the GAA as much as the official themselves as they need to train and help officials a lot more. A linesman if a fully uqualified official helping the ref shouldnt be seen as a bad thing. when in fact its proper game managemeqnt and team work by the officials to get to the correct decision....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya a referee should know the rules as should coaches and players. Everyone makes a mistake. The main thing here is the referee consulted with his umpires and got the right decision. Wish more referees would do the same. Maybe it was borderline near the 6M box.

I am sure he explained to the players the mistake. But most of them chose not to listen

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Consultation probably happens as often as is needed. Instances like the one in Tullamore would be rare. None of us could know how often it happens during thousands of club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The club should be excluded from playing in Leinster the next time they win the Offaly championship. The injured player who came in and pushed the ref needs a lengthy ban too.

Every club has a few lads capable of this. Sanctions need to be very strong or else nothing changes.

It would be good if the club came out and condemned the player.

Clubs need to stand up against this type of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There was a match official physically and verbally abused in the Wicklow county final yesterday . The only action the referee took was to overturn the decision of his official.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The gouger needs to be punished and condemed. Barry Tiernan got the decision correct after consultation.

He done nothing wrong.

I'll bet before long we will hear the lads come out and defend him citing mental health nonsense.

A 5 year ban for him and a 3 year ban for tullamore from playing in Leinster at all grades and codes. If we want to sort this then we'll have to have really draconian punishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"AHh shur he was frustrated that he was injured, and couldnt help his teammates/club/parish playing ....."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Should be a hefty ban for the player & club

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They obviously didn't know the rule either.

The bigger point for me is the amount of people on the field after the game. The GAA need to make a rule that nobody that is not on either team and club physio, maor uisce etc should enter the pitch under any circumstances. Far too many on the field after the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A bit extreme but if it sets a precedent that this crap isn't allowed then it's probably warranted

I expect the delegates at Congress arrived at the rule change in a reasoned way. 96 weeks is the minimum, not an extreme measure.

Friday 17 February 2023 By John Harrington

GAA Annual Congress this evening ratified a motion that doubles the suspension meted out to those who assault match officals.

The minimum suspension has now gone from 48 weeks to 96 weeks.

The minimum suspension for a repeat infraction is now a 192 week suspension.

Meanwhile in Ulster, another incident in Derry. And Declan Bonner blaming the officials because his team did not win their game.

https://hoganstand.com/article/index/329801

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Not a chance they will come out and condemn him....if anything they will look to protect him from the furore of what's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭brokenbad

He'll get it halved on appeal i bet - the club will put his behaviour down as "out of character" and "extenuating circumstances were at play"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He cannot it's the minimum time for attacking a match official. It would have to be completely overturned.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement