Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Archeron

Cue George Lee astride a woolly mammoth, doom boner in hand, as he tells us the exact percentage likelihood of being eaten by a rabid yeti.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

A balanced article on climate change, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Just after a shower of rain here (about 25km away from a place mentioned on thejournal as having a drought).

Yr.no who are usually fairly accurate don't appear to be picking up on it. The Journal / RTÉ must have a few global warming aficionados who are spreading the doom, other news outlets not as much.

Ventusky is picking up showers over the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

''THE SPACE BROTHERS FROM ALPHA SIRUS A WILL BE COMING ON THE NEXT FLYING SAUCER!!!''

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

within a century we have gone from a nation of Flying Columns to Pearl Clutching Colms (preferred pronoun: Clown/Ninny)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

It is not really. Shellenberger is running for office in CA, is a vocal advocate of nuclear industry and generally considered a self serving, funding following hack who can press the buttons of mob with half baked and/or erroneous arguments

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/07/review-bad-science-and-bad-arguments-abound-in-apocalypse-never/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

The gulf stream is heating up and if it collapses we at least will start to see extreme cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cal naughton

Wow, so you from my reply you have garnered that i was giddy in school,not great at maths would never become an engineer, have a bad career and my general life is failing!

If only you knew!

But i bow down to your superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have seen this quoted a number of times, but like everything else with climate change when you dig into it a little it`s never as clear cut as some would have us believe.

60% of the world`s CO2 emissions are the product of 6 countries. Primarily due to burning coal for electricity generation.

China generates 63.6% of it`s electricity from coal and is building over 30 more such plants to ironically produce the green tech the rest of the world is buying off them by them using cheap energy and slavery to do so. Their per capita carbon footprint is now greater than Ireland`s and set to go even higher.

USA produce 21.8% of their electricity from coal. A figure likely to increase if as expected Republicans gain control of the House of Representatives in November. A further 60.8% of their electricity is from fossil fuels.

India refused to sign COP26 until the wording was changed from "phase out coal" to "phase down coal" which IMHO says all that needs to be said where India is concerned.

Japan refused to sign COP26 because it " needed to preserve all it`s options for power generation" and is building massive coal burning plants.

Russia I don`t believe their is any doubt on Russia showing much concern for global emissions.

Germany, the country Irish greens have long held up as the standard we should be adhering to has now gone back to mining coal, buying coal from Columbia, building LNG terminals and leasing floating LNG terminals, and back in the oil and gas exploration business.

All of the worlds 6 major emitters responsible for 60% of CO2 global emissions are using coal as a cheap energy source to protect their economies. Here with a population of 5 million due to green ideology are determined to wreck ours. Irish greens haven`t even learned from the mistake of their former hero Germany who are getting a scalding due to their dependence on Putin`s gas.The vast majority of our energy needs are dependent on natural gas, and with plans to close other generating power plants that is going to increase. Our own regulator has warned we are not energy secure for natural gas, nor are we in compliance with EU directives on energy security. The Irish Green Party`s response. Banning of exploration (other than bizarrely for gold and silver) and attempting to ban LNG a recognised E.U. transitional energy source.

We do have one thing in common with one of those 6 countries. Ourselves and Germany have one of the highest levels of electricity generated by renewables. What we also have in common with them is both of us are in the top 4 for the most expensive electricity.

When it comes to green ideology the Devil really is in the detail, rather than just headline grabbing articles such as "we`ve one of the highest per capita carbon footprints in the world", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would ye prefer a news slot with cute puppies and kitties for the perpetually fearful? Worse than a Facebook comments section this thread.

People can't even grasp the fact that weather forecasts aren't 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

If I worked for the BBC or RTE (neither would have me,I'm too skeptical) I'd be embarrassed at the carry on over these few days of hot weather

Quick look at that and it starts out with personal attacks on Shellenberger, not a good start, lot of heat, little light. Shellenberger is correct about Nuclear energy and the hysteria surrounding climate change.

So a politician, funded by selling pro nuclear books is who you believe rather than a Yale researchers?

So would you like to see nuclear power station in Ireland ? If so, where would you locate it ? What technology would you use ? How much electricity would you want to generate using it ?

would you have the ESB run it ? Would you have the govt regulate it ?

I read both and I find Yale Climate Connections biased, I don’t take everything he says as fact but he has very valid points particularly about the apocalyptic nature if CC debate. I think like Ardnacrusha a nuclear power station should be built by Germany or France.

You know when you got reports from school saying “ not very good at understanding stuff or making coherent arguments”. I’d say that’s still true today, wouldn’t you?

anyway you are the conspiracy theorists here so maybe the space brothers are bill gates and George Soros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The big two in the EU are Germany and France. One learned from the OPEC oil crises, the other didn`t.

France invested in nuclear, Germany spent according to Forbes to date $150 billion on renewables and relying on Putin`s gas. For that money Germany has 40% of it`s electricity from renewables with the other 60% basically dependent on fossil fuels with them shutting their own nuclear plants France 70% from nuclear, and just 9.2% dependent on fossil fuels (gas 6.2%, coal 1.1% and other fossil fuels 1.9%).

I can never quite get my head around this green opposition to nuclear. Happy to say if we are stuck there will be an interconnector in 4 -5 years with France where we can make up a shortfall with French nuclear energy (what if any surplus France will have when or if we need it is debatable and brushed aside), and all grand when somebody else is doing the heavy lifting. A very hypocritical viewpoint on nuclear IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone hear Gerald Fleming interviewed by Bryan Dobson on the RTE Radio News At One ? The most sensible voice of reason I have heard on RTE amidst all the hyper reporting of the current weather.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

Indeed science is biased in the direction of observable facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you were watching the pictures on Sky News right now you would think the Russians had just started bombing London.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If the carbon was such an imminent threat to human existence then these chancers would be building reactors to beat the band. The truth is the fossil fuel companies know that theres a lot more easy money to be made in magic bean solutions that never deliver and keep us reliant on their fossil fules than an established power source like nuclear that these companies won't make a dime from

Woke up to rain. Dull and breezy since. Mild but not warm. I thought the heat was supposed to be today also. Glad of the rain to give the wildlife a drink, but really wanted to use the heat to dry a load of laundry today!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Which just tells you what you have observed not what you have not. It's where some of these conclusions are allowed to lead that can be the problem. Could may, might and even will are not facts!

Former Coronation Street character, Jim McDonald, made a good point last night that, after 2.5 years of being "mothered" over COVID-19, that a large swathe of the population now prefer to be told what to do; that they have become a "risk averse population".

I think to a large extent, that's true. That doesn't mean that warnings about extreme heat are unwarranted, but neither is OTT scaremongering to the point where it's monitored almost obsessively and we're almost being told to fear the weather rather than to enjoy the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Over in our dear neighbours Imagine what the queen's guard have to go through in this heat

Not allowed take any of the uniform off

• Advertisement

Might be an idea to ‘research’ the scientific experimental process, causality, the null hypothesis and statistical significance before you embarrass yourself any further

Advertisement