Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. A 32A three phase cable will get you 7kW (32A single phase) charging at home and 11kW (16A three phase) charging at a 22kW charger.

Okay, tested today on a eCars triple head and pulled 9kW on AC43, so definitely three phase. Didn't stay long enough to figure out why not 11kW, but could have been dodgy charger or high SOC in car.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

Was that with the supplied cable or a different one?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No, that was using the AC43 cable is attached to the eCars triple head charger. The Type 2 cable supplied with the MG4 is a 32A single phase.

That's what I thought you meant but new to this. So the eCars charger is teathered therefore you wouldn't necessarily need another cable?

Hoping to use solar are much as possible but good to know what options are available.

AC43 is an old charging standard; only early Renault ZOEs could take full advantage of it (64A three phase). Ordinarily you'd use CCS at a fast charger, but I used it today to specifically test the three phase capabilities of the MG4 (because it has a tethered cable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

Did anyone who collected their new car get the wind deflectors being offered as part of the dealers extras.

I remember when ordering from Frank Keane, there was a big optional service pack, which I asked to be broke down and got rid of things like 'paint insurance' etc - but 1 thing were official wind deflectors which I was assured were very discreet and not like the yokes you see on Japanese imports sticking out of window frame.

Curious if anyone got these and how discreet they are

Post edited by Patser on

No, wasn't offered this, but even if I was, I wouldn't get them.

Maybe see if you can wrangle a set of mud guards?

Picked it up this evening, wife is happy.

These pics might be of use to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Congratulations, looks lovely! So did the garage deliver the car with the hubcaps packaged separately or was that at your request?

• Advertisement

Yes I asked for nothing to be done to the car so all the protection bits are still in place. Hoping to ceramic coat it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Cheers, might leave off the hub caps, not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

Congrats well wear, did you get standard or long range does is say on car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

What charging unit are you using with solar? I have a 7.6kwp array and I am looking at getting the MG4 to use the excess, rather than sending it back to the grid. I was looking at the Zappi but I'm open to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got the trade in offer for our Tucson, 2,500e less than trade in value given by Hyundai and Cupra, which is disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pandabat

That was a big factor in my pulling out of getting an MG4. Felt trade-in offer was ~€3k-ish off from where I felt it should be and it just made the sums too big to go ahead (I'm low mileage so payback not as quick as it might be for other, higher-mileage drivers). Dealers hands are a bit tied on MGs though - they've a small fixed margin on them and nothing really to play with. I was told by the dealer that if I was going for some other marque under their umbrella then I could be offered a bit more on the trade-in but they have little room for manoeuver on MG. You could go down the private sale route but I didn't have the heart for it on my current car.

Standard range, no visual clue between SR and LR on the Excite model

Similar to my setup then, 7.9kWp split E/S. Only installed end of November so I hope to have my battery and Zappi installed on Monday. The plan is to self supply and not have to charge on public infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Is the PCP 6.9%???

My other half says that what the salesman quoted.

• Advertisement

Dunno - didn't get that far in the process 🤷‍♂️ PCP packages weren't defined when I had asked about them in November, I think, but I'm sure others must have that info at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cupra gave me €13,500 when everywhere else offered €11-12k. Considering the Born was cheaper than the ID.3 or Kona at the time I wouldn't have expected them to also have the best trade-in. On top of that it's 3.9% when everyone else seems to be 5.9%+. Not a bad deal overall.

€2,500 is pretty significant. Would you still consider the MG or would you shop elsewhere now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cupra offered me great trade in against a Born on a 2018 Toyota CHR. Close to what they were retailing for in Toyota garages. They had a buyer lined up for it apparently.

Well above anyone else. Offered me low on a 2014 A6 so I sold that privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I took a long range exclusive for a test drive this evening. I didn't get a good spin because traffic was heavy but overall I was very impressed. It's comfortable, takes bumps really well. It's very fun to drive, coming out of corners and put foot down hard you can feel the rear coming a bit loose. Acceleration from 30kmh feels much more aggressive than from standing start. I'd love to change the traction control settings but couldn't find.

Likes: 7 year warranty. It's surprisingly quick, enough for most people. The handling is good. Sharp turning circle. Seats are comfortable. Heated steering wheel is nice and also the 360 camera is OK. Adaptive cruise works well. There's enough storage in the front for my needs. There's decent room in the rear for 183cm passengers for short to medium trips. Lane assist seemed to work ok on a busy and soaking m50 but didn't get a proper chance to test.

Dislikes: Boot is a bit small but you'd fit a baby buggy and some shopping. The adaptive cruise control is not that intuitive and takes a while to learn compared to other brands. I don't understand the need for two modes for adaptive cruise/ traffic cruise they worked very similar from what I could gather. I dislike not having a rotary dial for radio volume. Pressing the volume up and down buttons below the main screen button feels wrong. They missed the chance to have one pedal driving, surely it could be added via software update? There's no light over the rear seats which is every perplexing. It's very dark in the rear. I would need to retrofit some kind of light if I buy one.

I'm also perplexed why they didn't add a low profile headrest for the rear middle seat. Surely it's cheap and easy to do and increases safety. This car shouldn't be 5 star NCAP without it IMO.

I wonder how good the adaptive headlights are? Can new owners please shine a light on this?

Will I buy one? I will but I don't know which version I want. I might wait for the 77kwh version or the dual motor version that's coming in July according to the salesman.

Post edited by LasersGoPewPew on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I was offered a brutal trade in so much so that the Kona 64kwh ended up the same price over HP for five years. APR from MG was 7% too which stings. As a result I'm going for the Kona due to better trade in price. I drove the MG4 in Cork and though it a decent steer although it's nowhere near as quick as the Kona. The undertray bulge was evident in the one I tested but I wouldn't let it stop me buying. The quality really seemed to be there. The back is a relentless black hole though with zero creature comforts aside from window openers.

After further testing, I stand corrected on the 9kW figure. The infotainment unit and the MG iSmart app display appear to show net DC power delivered to the battery.

While charging tonight, instantaneous Zappi power was 7.07kW while app reported 6.61kW. This also explains the very slow charge rates (2-3kW) I noted for the first 2-3 mins after plugging in, as the battery heater had kicked in before turning off once the battery was warm. This matches the spec sheet which lists AC charging as 7kW (I originally thought this was a typo for 7.4kW) or about 30.5 amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Its a shame we're not offered the lovely grey interior and the heat pump like what's offered on the continent. Would make it a much nicer environment. We need to lobby the dealers!

Or ... we need to drive on the other side of the road so we can just get/buy Euro-spec cars and not just spares from the UK build runs 😉 That lighter trim is much nicer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He might be a bit out. Its October according to Autocar. So realistically it will be next year before anyone has the awd version of the MG4 on the roads.

Electric cars arriving in October

Fisker Ocean

We’ve been waiting rather a long time for the Fisker Ocean, which finally made its debut in the UK at last year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed. The Audi Q4 E-tron rival packs an impressive range of up to 350 miles, with prices set to kick off from £34,990 on our shores. Fisker is expecting it to be a popular buy, with some 60,000 units planned to leave Magna Steyr’s Austrian factory for European nations. 

NIO ET5 

Another rival for the Tesla Model 3, this time out of China, the NIO ET5 features a twin-motor powertrain consisting of a 201bhp asynchronous motor at the front, and a 282bhp motor at the rear. Total power output stands at 483bhp and 516lb ft, with a claimed 0-62mph sprint of 4.3 seconds. There’s also a choice of three battery sizes, ranging from 75kWh (342 miles) to a staggering 150kWh, with an estimated range of up to 620 miles. 

MG 4 AWD

The well-received MG 4 will gain a dual-motor Triumph Edition with 442bhp on tap. The performance variant is estimated to carry a 0-62mph time of 3.8sec, while top speed is limited to 99mph. It could be our first taste of an all-electric mega hatchback. 

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement