Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maxol Recharge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

New maxol site, Crumlin road Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not a new location as such but an update on the Maxol hub in Holywood.

It was mentioned previously that the overcharge penalty kicks in at 45 minutes. It actually varies depending on the charger used. 25 minutes if you're on the 200kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Whoever put kWh instead of kW at the top of that table has earned my permanent ire 😬

They really don't want people hanging around on the 200kW unit any more than they need to

Of course I don't think there's anything stopping you from just starting a new session. If there's no app then there's no real way to track users between charging sessions

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

They are learning as you already discovered in the above table. I bet the persons deciding these didn't charge many times in their life at a DC charger.

Maybe they should use the SI unit for energy as that would be less confusing. My car has a 270MJ battery, it consumes 56MJ/100km it charges with max 15MJ/min. It would totally work. Also they should adopt Tesla connector which is just one no more faffing with AC/DC hell.

Hollywood launch.

I see someone on facebook complaining they were charged roughly 60 euro overstay fees on their maxol fuel card, per minute overstay but they had no idea overstay was a thing, it seems to be easy to miss, even described a parking fee on screen think.

• Advertisement

Uk£50 overstay, seems to be hourly rate but only uk£24+ vat applied

47 mins overstay!!! they've been sitting on the free ESB chargers all day I'll bet

Also looks like they plugged in twice on two different chargers for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There were charged for 50 minutes overstay. That’s not 60 euro. What were they doing at a fast chargers for 95 minutes?

proper order , they won’t block one again

It’s 50 p a minute. Not £50 look at the decimal

• Advertisement

Oh maybe that's it, I saw the date at the top and assumed they were all on the same day

Interestingly it actually looks like there were 3 charging sessions, there's 1 kWh charged at the lowest rate

I wonder if maybe that session failed and they were sitting there for 45 mins not charging and racking up an overstay fee 🤔

You wouldn't want to leave your car alone for too long if that's the case

They were all broken last Sunday and Monday. (Hollywood) someone suggested fuse blown so all chargers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Top marks for this hub, it’s proper. Good facilities, lots of chargers (very busy too!), and would you believe it — a charging cable length that is port position agnostic!

Plus only one bloody Chademo up at the end (50kW)

Had to laugh at the hybrid BMW that was plugged into the 200kW the other day though, while the 50kW was unoccupied. Not sure they’ve spotted the price differences.

Every BMW driver knows that their cars are the best and deserve the best electricity 😂

Probably fills up with the expensive petrol as well

I'd say the overstay fee will be a bigger shock, 25 mins to kick in on the 200kW unit, then 50p per minute 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement

Ah, that would be why they call it the greater Belfast area 😉

I wonder where the traffic on the charger is coming from. Is it folks coming and going from the airport, locals, or people heading to Belfast and are willing to travel a bit for a charge

Belfast is an absolute sh*t show for charging so I suspect its people who really need a charge and can't get one closer.

I tried it out a while back as I have family in Holywood so was passing. I was also going on from there to Dublin so I needed the juice anyway.

Popped in earlier today as I needed a top up before heading back to Dublin

Have to say it's an excellent setup, well worth the detour for having a great charging facility

When I arrived there was only a Mokka E on the 200kW (why???) so I took one of the 150kW units

Got around 65-70kW which is expected given I was starting around 50% SoC

Topped up with 15% and headed off home, probably took around 15 mins which was enough time for a bathroom break and to grab some snacks for the kiddos in the shop

I asked the cashier if they were getting a lot of cars coming in to charge and she seemed to think the hub was pretty busy despite being a bit away from Belfast itself

So the site seems to already be a success, hopefully it keeps going

I noticed the CCS side of the 50kW was offline when I arrived, so good news for the Leaf owners as only Chademo is working

Also, watch out for the upfront payment. I used revolut and they charged £100 off my card as a down payment 😱

They were quick to reverse it and deduct the proper amount after I was done, but something to be aware of

I wonder if that's only for revolut cards or do other cards get the same treatment 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's with the payment being on a separate unit? The new charger thread has just had a post with the new one on Crumlin Road, Belfast. It's only one unit, but the payment is still separate. Are the units they use simply incapable of having payment built in?

I guess Maxol didn't want to pay for additional terminals. The chargers also work with Maxol fuel cards which don't typically have tap and pay

The terminals in Kinnegar are chip and pin only, not tap and pay

Tap to pay typically has a lot of 50 euro or whatever sterling. If they are pre authorising £100 then touch to.pay won't work.

Which is odd because they do have a tap contact pad on the front, with a picture to indicate it, but it doesn't work.

Not only is Belfast a ****-show for charging, the vast majority of the Ards Peninsula is even worse. The "city" of Bangor has basically 4 functioning public AC chargers left at this point — there are 2 ESB ACs that have been out of commission since at least July, 2 at the leisure centre that require a keyfob from the centre, 2 at an ASDA that have been broken for years, and that's pretty much it. Newtownards isn't any better.

The state of infrastructure in the North has been abysmal and deteriorating, so it's great to see some actual progress. And thank **** it's not a free for all too.

Oh, by the way, if you have a car that relies upon sat-nav destinations for battery preconditioning, and your maps probably don't have this hub added yet, I recommend targetting the IKEA DC charger that's very nearby, it should have you warmed up for the same time give or take a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dsandson

Yeah getting the new chargers into in-built sat navs is slow, even if updates are available. That is an issue for the average EV driver who doesnt follow Boards or FB etc, especially as a lot of people think public chargers are mainly ESB - they are but things are improving.

Regarding the payment terminal the interface is exactlty the same as their pay at fuel pump interface, so this is perhaps a bodge to maintain their existing back-end software. They also pre-auth £100 which perhaps has issues with tap to pay

New Maxol hub for Limerick in planning application (looks like the same layout as Kinnegar)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Planning permission submitted by Maxol for the M3 services on the N3 at Mulhuddart. https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/96465

6 charging spots.

Many haters of Blanchardstown have long dreamed of chargers being installed here

Advertisement