Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56% of South Dublin Social housing in arrears

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well, you don't expect a huge labour shortage. My missus got talking to her friendly manager in Dunnes yesterday. He gave her a couple of €10 off €50 vouchers, and told her that if any of the teenagers wanted a job, he'd be very happy to see them. They were advertising jobs in store over the intercom also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

While you think that single mother is doing great it is short lived and short sighted. So a single mother with one child gets about the equivalent of €36k when all benefits are added up. Probably more for some depending on the housing the have provided. Some of these benefits aren't transferable like medical cards and the value is dependent on use. When their child grows up they will lose payments like children's benefits etc... When the children move out and even if they don't she will be surviving on a low income. Her job prospects will most likely be minimum wage jobs. That is going to be a miserable existence and I have seen many single parents living like this when their children move out. I would not be annoyed or envious of her position and be more worried about how her kids will function and if they end up like her.

The builder neighbour most likely has permanent physical injuries as most do by 50. If he has to keep working till 67 he will be a wreck.

There are lots of hidden costs to society and the alternative solutions are worse. Many of the long term unemployed are actually unable to work in reality. A friend worked with the long term unemployed to get them into the work force. She gave it up as she said it was pointless, none of them could work with others and many had explosive and physical arguments in their jobs. None lasted in a job. They are damaged people and some of that damage was failure by the state when they were younger.

No solution will keep people happy

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Thanks for the comments but there are people working extremely hard, on anti-depressants, hate their jobs but keep walking into their job year after year. Middle class get no help if one parent loses their job you get a benefit for a few months without any extra child pay, housing support or anything. They will say talk to your bank about your mortgage etc. But if you have nothing, you get help for everything. It is unfair that a person hasn't worked in years and doesn't even try to do anything, is just happy taking it easy. Also the neighbor has no injuries. Yes some have genuine reasons. But him and others don't try hard. People who want to work hard have burn out too because of short staffing and all. This thing should be taken seriously. We are putting double pressure on those working hard and living on minimum wages.

If you become unemployed you are entitled to unemployment benefit once you have a work history for the previous 2 years and it lasts for 9 months. Why would being middle class and married prevent this? They may not be entitled unemployment assistance as it is means tested.

So your neigbour is most likely entitled to his payments. Not sure how you KNOW your neighbour has no injuries as people don't tend to mention joint and back injuries to everyone. Most people who do physical work have such injuries and builders all have some form of injury. Broke my finger about 4 years ago but not a huge deal to me in my office job. When I do DIY i know all about the limited motion

It really isn't a big deal and there is no way people on state benefits are raking in money legally. There are certainly those working and claiming the dole but they are criminal offenses. Given how low the income is that is not a surprise but it isn't that prevalent as it once was as business are not as open to paying cash as they did in the past. If you were in a dole office in the 80s you would see the guys pull up in their work van and go sign in. Minor issue now and people will abuse the system but it is better than work houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"There are lots of hidden costs to society and the alternative solutions are worse. Many of the long term unemployed are actually unable to work in reality. A friend worked with the long term unemployed to get them into the work force. She gave it up as she said it was pointless, none of them could work with others and many had explosive and physical arguments in their jobs. None lasted in a job. They are damaged people and some of that damage was failure by the state when they were younger."

I fully accept this, but if these people are unable to work, and I accept that, then they should not be on JSA.

Some other welfare payment, yes, but not JSA.

It comes down to some choices. It costs X to provide payments for people with the existing system or you can pay for a much more accurate system pay X +y where y is the extra admin costs. You can break down the y cost more or add to them depending on how much you want to consider such as maintenance on the new system or spreading out the initial development. Either way it will cost more.

Somebody makes that decision and people will always complain. Have you ever had to administrate a complex system?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Move them to SWA if not looking for work? Fairly simple?

Or DA if they are genuinely disabled.

You seem to completely miss the point that has a cost associated with it. Who is going to inspect all these people, how much will it cost, etc?

Will the public be happy with people being designated unable to work without a diagnosis? Think about it in real terms and you will see what seems like a simple solution is way more complex than just moving a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The problem is most young people don't want the hassle of working

I worked in a chicken processing factory when i was 17 to get some money together. Even then my mother wouldn't allow me spend it.

Every job, and I mean every job since is compared to that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“SDCC is currently owed €9.16m from social housing tenants, according to the council’s June finance report”

SDCC is responsible for a hell of a lot more then just housing so… a shortfall of that amount is massive. Other citizens suffer.

The rents are calculated at 10pc of weekly household incomes, with an average rent of €55 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rates arrears are declining year on year, rents arrears are increasing.

Also commercial rates and council rents cannot be compared like for like because they arent like for like. A social house rent you are supposed to pay for the privilege of having a roof over your head provided by the LA, commercial rates are paid ontop of commercial rents and everything else. Rates are just an extra tax levied on businesses, it is not a rent and cannot be compared as such.

How did you work out that rates arrears are declining?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

yes but the thread is about social housing being in arrears. Whataboutism really.

rents are minuscule…

Advertisement