Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56% of South Dublin Social housing in arrears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You will be told you’re making this story up very soon.

Or the other classic and obvious flaw when it comes to environmentalism. The worst thing for the planet is for everyone to suddenly start living like those in the West yet the wokies who usually love the planet are all-in on increasing populations. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Motivator

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

These type of people are basically children, their minds never matured.

You'd hear similarly robust critical ideas from a patch of moss.

"What's that, moss, you want everyone in the world to live here as they please, but you can't afford rent? That's terrible, moss!"

"Say that again, moss, you love deh gays, you love deh Muslims, all together beside each other, but you don't know why some people got their heads hacked off? Woe is moss!"

It's a tough old world for moss, so you can only imagine what it's like for a supposedly multicellular humanoid.

Theres already a thread on this on Accommodation and Property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why not report her? If you know she's defrauding the taxpayer, of which you are one, then you can't complain about it if you willingly turn a blind eye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They're both decided by the same democratic process, both based on ability to pay.

But obviously, you're deciding to give better off business owners a free pass, while punching down at people in social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Motivator

She has 3 kids, I don’t want to be the one responsible for essentially screwing them over. I want to see the mother and father nailed but I don’t want it on my own conscious which is quite selfish I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Over half being in arrears is way too many.

there needs to be a deterrent .

you accept the agreement, the payment arrangements it’s on you to meet them.

when my folks bought their first house they just did without holidays, had only a basic car, my Dad worked overtime in addition did nixers teaching a trade as he was firstly a very skilled tradesman in those days….still is…but he took responsibility, put the shoulder to the wheel… that’s very unfashionable now though, personal responsibility not having been in fashion since about 2012…. Everyone else will sort it for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The presidents speech was brilliant though. He addressed everything bar the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

If you choose not to report her, you're as bad as she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is boards. It's catnip to you because exaggerated dole tales makes you spaff your trousers, but a good half of all anecdotes about anything on this site are either outright full of sh*t or gross exaggerations. You can dial that effect up for dole threads.

There's no accountibility on this forum for anonymous tall-tales to point score and dole obsessives are the worst subspecies of these Walter Mittys.

Remember the fantasist in the other thread saying he knows 200 families within which no family member had ever worked? You lapped that up like a cat over a saucer of milk without switching on your brain.

60 hours a week? I'm quite sure. Keep on tripping the light fantastic lads, and don't forget to clean up after up yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I won't be partaking in yet another thread full of utter nonsense, this my last contribution. But you did ask about commercial rate arrears, very little info on it but article did in essence answer your query and 30% collection rate seems plausible.

I see the usual mob out SW bashing again, mother of God they appear to have a Tremendous amount of time on their hands, how they keep up over numerous Threads is extraordinary and actually very disturbing.

They spout the same utter nonsense over and over again, hoping someone will give them a like. They are confronted, put in their Boxes after making wild accusations whilst quoting stats they don't understand, ignore facts explained to them and then the vile, hateful contemptuous Bile is unleashed, they eventually tire of being called out and then find another thread to continue the vile onslaught against anyone on SW, to include those on Disibility and illness payments, Pensioners, low income families, it's disgusting, Utterly Tiresome, Tedious and repetitive claptrap from people who want to shout, not debate or discuss.

But of course this, like other Threads is not about SW, " Alledgedly" unless people are automatically assuming every single person in local authority housing is a SW welfare scrounging, Lazy good for nothing, Layabout & beneath contempt, which of course most Right thinking know, they are absolutely Not.

Some people seriously and really need to out more 🙄

That's it, life to short to be feeding this rubbish.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ah yes , the inevitable dopey WOKE slogan " punching down " is deployed

Feeble

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why bother with all that verbiage

All you need to say is

Shut up middle Ireland and keep milking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'll respond to that, we agree on many things, but clearly not on the Tripe being posted here and elsewhere by a particular cohort who in essence appear to blame every crisis in Ireland on SW recipients.

Do we actually know what percentage of arrears relate to SW recipients 🤔

Why the absurd assumptions every single social housing tenant is on SW

As for middle Ireland, I live there in my own home, just because I'm more fortunate than others doesn't mean I can't call out mindless Vitriol, not just levelled at Jobseekers, but those on working family supports, Pensioners, Disabled or ill, the attack on Medical card holder's is particularly offensive.

I'm not suggesting you share these views, simply pointing out the same cohort pop up across boards, can't actually debate the Threads topic coherently, nor wish to do so, instead kick people without not a single clue about people who maybe struggling.

That's it, I've no more to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The problem there is the out of control almost completely unregulated private rental market strict rent control is the solution to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There we are now business owners trousering the profits and ignoring their responsibilities to the tune of 116 million quid! But lets all get ourselves into a furious tizzy over the 9 million owed in social housing rent a drop in the ocean in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Once you are unhappy/angry I am happy.

Your racist clap trap of replacement theory and fear of "others" is very clear. You blame the government but I am sure you are outwardly hostile to non native Irish.

Basic maths is all you are capable of which is your problem. Immigration is needed because we need people with more than basic maths. If you were capable of doing the work of the immigrates in the IT field it wouldn't be needed. If on the other hand an uneducated immigrant can come in and do your job you wasted your opportunity from the education offered here.

I grew up around people like you who blame the government for everything and don't take personal responsibility. They are all angry like you and I don't care how you feel because I do want you and your ilk stamped out from society because you are a social drag of hate and anger with little value.

I just hope you don't have children to spread your hate to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's truly amazing that you can not pay your 160 euro tv licence and they've "heard all the excuses before" so you'll end up in prison if you don't pay it but you then have scroungers who won't pay a pitiful few euro for their social house and what happens?....Nothing

You're doing the usual thing of not addressing what people are saying but just projecting stuff.

Did anyone say everyone in social housing is on welfare? No.

A majority of people falling way behind on a token rent on a place they get because they "can't afford" the private market is what it is. A **** disgrace. It points to an absolutely ludicrously low expectation of people.

Could you please quote the "offensive" "attacks" on people with medical cards? I see 3 mentions on the entire thread beforehand and I'm struggling to take offence to them, maybe I need to clutch my pearls a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pup almost doubled over night, and now this, maybe the dole isnt enough after all!

If you actually read my post, I referred to the Usual Cohorts spouting the same SW bashing claptrap across boards and Threads using their obvious prejudices to Labour points that have little to do with Thread Topics.

Social housing is offered to numerous cohorts, Families or single parents with Children, Low income families or single people, Those on waiting lists for years etc. There are many, many working and low income families in SH, not just SW recipients, as some would have us believe,

Rents are based on Income, to SUGGEST every SH tenant either gets free housing, Pays a pittance in rent is absurd.

And just to be very very clear, I have absolutely little regard or time for those who fail to pay their rent, particularly when that rent is low, I'll give some understanding because of recent cost ofl living crisis but sustained, historical and deliberate none payment of rent is outrageous and disgraceful and absolutely local authorities need to start taking firm action.

Council housing is social welfare while not run by that department it is a social welfare scheme to house people. So anyone in a council house is receiving a welfare payment.

Pension, disability, family support payments are social welfare payments. I don't have an issue housing people by the state but it is obvious some abuse the system as obvious by them not paying rent. A classic case of this is when their income increases they don't inform the HSE and stay on lower rent in a council house. I can see why, would you like to get a pay increase and then realise you won't get any more money as your rent would go up? So people don't report it and in some cases they have done this for years hence a huge arrears when discovered. Your adult child gets a job and lives with you don't tell HSE because rent will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think south Dublin has 10% of income as the rent, so it would be a pittance really. If the result of failing to pay rent for an extended period was eviction, most would pay it. Obviously the state would have to pay HAP to house them, but they would likely be moving someone off HAP too.

Whilst I accept the premice of your point, Social Housing is a Housing support just like HAP is, both whilst funded by government indirectly are not infact classed as SW supports, I'm referring to the Tenant Demographics and despite assertions to the Contary (not suggest you've said this), the perception all or the vast Majority of SH tenants are on SW is simply ludicrous.

If we examine arrears on its own in other housing scenario's there's ample evidence of working people in private rented accommodation in arrears, there's also HAP arrears and indeed Mortgage arrears.

There's many complex reasons for arrears, some may even be deliberate and I'm not doubting that, I just don't get this formula

SW = SH = ARREARS

• Advertisement

No matter what way you spin it housing subsidy and council housing is social welfare by the state. Because we have a department called Department of Social Protection at present (name changes quite regularly) people think all social welfare schemes go through them. This does not mean housing subsidy is not a social welfare scheme. HSE administrate it the same way DSP administrate the medical cards they remain social welfare programs. For the good of society.

Anybody with subsidies housing or a council house are receiving social welfare whether you like it or not. Why you are excusing any of them for not paying a vastly reduced rent is beyond me. There is no arears equal to SW nor SH there is just arrears from those being subsidised as a social welfare program not paying their rent. I have dealt with this as a landlord and working in DSP. Tenat gets a cheque cashes it and doesn't pay rent is very common. The difference here is it is the councils not getting paid. How complex do you think arrears are to get to a €20k stage?

Advertisement