Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56% of South Dublin Social housing in arrears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So if companies pay more they will have staff? Then the cost of supplying services goes up and who pays for that?

I am assuming you think it just will be taken from profit margins and companies will continue on their way.

It could of course mean higher charges which you say are already are price gouging. Maybe less people will be willing to pay and the company doesn't just lose on profit margin but actually no longer getting enough income to operate. Of course when they close down everyone losses their job but at least they got a higher salary for a bit

I notice you avoid actually answering questions about who pays for what you think should happen.

Opposing state subsidies of private business is somehow communism now? Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Amazing attitude isn't it? Private enterprise people are all for private enterprise when the profit is rolling in but the second there is a bump in the road the paw is out for free government money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

When the profit is rolling in for private enterprise the government has the paw out for chunk of it.

Indeed and rightly so for the benefit of society as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There's was a 3 bed ex corporation house down the road here in Beaumont for rent for €3500 per month. So social welfare housing should be 25% of 1 income but normal housing should be 100%. Sounds right!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there any news on the business rates arrears levels in SDCC? Last time I looked at Dublin City, business arrears were higher than rent arrears, and that was pre Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Now we're talking but that doesn't suit the punch down agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You do realise the whole point of the 'free government money' was to help support employees, right?

Private enterprises hit a bump in the road, jobs are lost, more people end up on welfare. Is that your preferred situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Universal social welfare payment, housing cost removed at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

A thousand monkeys at a thousand desks couldn't have buggered the country more effectively.

Fatal flaws and contradictions every where you look.

Girl on good wages can't find a place to rent, probably can't even afford it if they do find it, meanwhile entire streets of housing are occupied by unemployed people from mogadishu.

Middle tax earner bleeding money through inflation, taxes childcare and rent/mortgage, while some nike jocks isn't bothered paying 50 rent a week.

Guy can't find employment with sufficient wages to pay for housing near said employment and is labelled "entitled", while the government fastracks yet another 40,000 non-eu migrants into the country to do the unaffordable jobs.

And so on.

The country is wrecked, and it's getting harder to blame people for just checking out with a "f*ck me?, No, f*ck you" attitude.

The foundation of a great society looking forward.

No, they're subsidising the companies. If the entire services sector (a huge proportion of which is far from vital btw, if the state wants to subsidise critical infrastructure then yay! Oops, maybe I'm communist now) as it currently runs can't support itself without the government subsidising them then a lot shouldn't be in business. I want a job in a beach hut selling shells to passers-by. But that's just not a feasible business plan. Supports during Covid were one thing, having it as the way the economy runs is ridiculous.

The irony of you complaining about the "F**k you" mentality while wanting to turn your back on people fleeing wars.

You don't think the situation is extraordinary requiring the government to intervene? Were all the other countries also wrong for doing the same things?

Which situation?

For Covid absolutely they were right to intervene.

Trouble is they've been "intervening" for a lot longer than that. A huge amount of people get wage subsidies. A huge number of people get social housing because they're on low money. Why should the government continue to prop up a non-essential sector of the economy if it's not viable?

There's never anything wrong, ironic or otherwise, about recognising self-preservation.

Nevermind mogadishu, or Ukraine though, what about literally everyone else flooding into the country?

Did a Brazilian stub his toe and is in fear of his life?

The dogs on the street know this migration lark is a poxy scheme to inflate asset prices through increased scarcity, and suppress wages. It's imported slavery with a helping of extra profit on the side.

Migration isn't the only problem in this country, but it's top 3, at least.

One single example, the chaos at the airport recently. People ran a mile from the employment because it's insufficient to the costs of everything, namely housing, and the conditions weren't brilliant anyway. So the government fast tracks an extra 40,000 non EU migrants to do these jobs. Where will they live, how will they afford it? Who cares, it's about pumping the numbers, any excuse will do. It's all it ever was, a pyramid scheme, war or not, reason or not.

It's not all it ever was. For all the flaws and the trouble when it gets extreme, nationalism and pride used exist at least a little bit. You were supposed to look after your family, keep an eye on out for your neighbours, all that ****. Now with massive movement of people there's a far lesser sense of community. I've seen more Ukrainian and Pride flags flying this year than tricolours and I live 5 minutes from the border ffs. Suggesting that a country's own citizens should be the priority is now racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement

" punch down " , another dopey term beloved of the WOKE

I mean that the real reason behind the current push for migration is "all it ever was".

You're right about the collapsing sense of identity and community in Ireland. It's hardly a surprise.

As I said elsewhere, "multiculturalism" is nothing but the propaganda arm of a giant international pyramid scheme used to inflate assets and suppress wages. It's fake, untrue, fictitious. And it has been pushed above the country's own identity because...money!

People have been trained to clap like seals when rte shows an Indian drinking a Guinness, but they sure as f*ck forget to mention where he's going to live, how many there are, and the ever-growing underclass and ghetto's forming out of it.

It's all connected, the disengagement from society, the growing cost of assets, the lack of space, the 14 hour waits in hospitals, lack of pushback due to disenfranchisement and fracturing....all of it. Nevermind beheadings, murders, rapes.

Anyone who still claps like a seal about migration needs to have a serious sit-down with their brain.

Commercial rates are obscenely high

Social housing rents are laughably low

Oh no! You have it all figured out. How did you manage to see through our plan? Did you know our original plan was to sterilise people like you too? We decided instead to lower your IQ and make sure your could barely comprehend the real world. Guess that failed because you see through it all. At least we can rest easy knowing how deeply unhappy you are and blame everyone else. We have that at least🙄

Yeah I have the gift of being able to do basic mathematics.

The day some gobdaw even attempts to explain why migration remained untouched year after year after year after year in a worsening and worsening and worsening housing crisis will be the day I eat my own foot. There is no excuse beyond outright admittance of a pyramid scheme.

Too many people, even more problems. Yet they keep coming, and increasing in number.

Get it right though, it's not unhappiness about being treated like fools, it's the growing anger across the country that should have some sweating bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

As low as €25 a week. Defaulting on that is a disgrace. We didn’t hear our leprechaun talk about that yesterday. That is the disaster.

L“Defaulting” is a great word for “not bothering to pay the weekly rent because they know nothing will happen if they don’t, so they’ve an extra few bob for chips and cans each week”.

It’s a joke. There’s two homeless lads on my walk to work and I’d often give them a cup of tea or coffee and they’re thrilled with people taking the time to give them something small. If I’m going to work I’ll buy it for them, if I’m coming from work then I’ll make grab them from work. Our manager brings them biscuits etc. and they’re nice chaps and they’re not in your face beggars, just lads that are down on their luck. There was a foreign guy that used to be there with them but he’s now gone. He got an apartment up the road and got a medical card too. He can still be found begging but only on Saturday mornings before he goes into the bookies for the day.

A joke of a country we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Business / Commercial Rates arrears are believed to be horrendous even before Covid. Very hard to get stats due to waivers, covid etc but it's believed collection rates are as low as 30% in some local authority areas.

This article describes the situation as stable, I'd call it alarming 😉

Article May 2022.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

People on the social welfare need to be means tested every two years. This would also include people with medical cards, rent help etc.

• Advertisement

Is that actually the case though? I know of a woman who works 10 hours a week, no more and no less, because if she goes over 10 hours her and her husbands wages exceed the cut off point for every one of their benefits. The whole family have a medical card, they have a social house and god knows what else. What does she do with the rest of her time each week? Works about 50 hours making extortionately priced cakes that she sells for birthdays, christenings, weddings etc.

I’d love to see her and the family ratted out but I wouldn’t like to be the one that does it. That family play the poor mouth but the truth is they’re not in any way struggling and they’re just exploiting a system which to be fair to them is there to be exploited. Her refusal to work anything over 10 hours is laughable though. She’s regularly left the lads she works with in the lurch because she says it’s in her contract that she’s to work only 10 hours.

Advertisement