Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,394 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is the dole not welfare? I thought there was jobseekers, disability and illness, do i have that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Not working during the fine weather that's the 'bonus'😙

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And the figures tiny and deal factor in detections on fraud that may have happened historically, just at a basic level there was all sorts of wild assumptions about PUP fraud and whilst not a SW payment in the true sense it was open to wide scale abuses at the very start due to how it had to implemented quickly.

There was a number of very high profile cases of fraud , perpetrated by people I would not categorise as a typical SW recipient, these were well planned and orchestrated scams. There was also the living abroad and claiming PUP cases and whilst both reprehensible the Departments own stats suggest PUP fraud was extremely low and yet there's still those who claim PUP fraud was rampant when it was absolutely not.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

400k is a relatively small pension pot.

2 bar is the target to hit.

That allows you to take 80k gross per annum.

Loads of people have this level of fund on retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

MNCs and farmer grants are a different kettle of fish to those who choose the dole as a lifestyle. I'm not talking about those.

I'll pick on those lazy scroungers all I want considering I contribute to their wages and enable their choices.

• Advertisement

Can we assume you also resent paying towards "Farm Assist" , after all it's a SW payment , similar in some respects to low income earners, people working part time (not out of choice), working family payments etc 🤔

There's actually no such thing as Dole in Ireland , it's an offensive term often used to essentially target anyone on a SW payment, it's use in the Thread was in essence an attempt to click bait and it of course worked.

Of course there are SW payments, Some income supports, Some illness and disability supports, Back to school supports, heavens above even children's allowance and of course the dreaded Jobseekers supports but as far as some are concerned there's really no difference and all equally distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ireland always been the Carlsberg of welfare!!!

Indeed you can make any assumptions you wish. Whether or not they are correct is another matter.

I was not making any assumptions, just curious about your resentment towards paying for SW recipients that include farmers given your belated observatiions on farming grants so to speak 🤔

• Advertisement

I never said you were making assumptions.

You asked if you could, I said of course you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I suppose you find council house offensive now also it should be social house we should be calling it.

Perhaps I misread your response but it went, you can make any assumptions you like 🤔

Any comments on your paying for farmers in receipt of SW , farm assist as an example 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

They very clearly are related and taxpayers are entitled to have an opinion on how tax money is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Where did I mention everyone? There is a lot of people in social housing who have zeroe interest in ever working or bettering themselves to get a high paying job instead of hand outs from the states.

If you try to claim at a young age then you should be given a box of johnnies or free birth control pills as soon as you try and sign on, might stop young wans opening there legs to get a council house.

Did they not have any shame accepting hand outs? Do they not feel shame for not been able to look after their families themselves?

I'd put all those scroungers in a caravan in the morning, might stop young wans opening their legs so they can get a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

There's lads I went to school with in the town who have never worked a day in their lives. Few live at home most have their own houses.

People say there are no free houses yet these non contributors aren't living on the streets. Doesn't add up

Why do you think I find council houses offensive, what gives you that bizzare notion 🤔 you really are clutching at straws now .

Spotted your latest typically unhelpful contribution to a ligitmate question by posters over in the State Benefits forum , you really are obsessed by this fictional SW fraud narrative, very, very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Every village and town in Ireland but Rob seems oblivious that people are actually taking advantage of the system.

In his head anyone on welfare needs to be on welfare or given a social house.

Not in the slightest bit related to the narrative in this Thread , lots of excellent threads discussing health care crisis, issues, waiting lists etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It’s your posts are disturbing. If factual posts are too much for you I suggest you turn off your WiFi.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the Advice , I'll not be taking it seriously as I do with your contributions generally 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The more money we waste paying for unnecessary stuff like a summer dole bonus the less money available for important stuff like the housing crisis.

So we're onto Housing crisis now, why not throw in the Childcare crisis too 🤔and what exactly as any crisis has got to do with Trashing SW recipients, genuinely curious 🤔, you know full well this thread has nothing to do with SW Budgets or government expenditure on housing, health care etc, let's not pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ALL payments from the Government come under the umbrella term of welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I was at a party this year. It was a double celebration...

40 years on the dole, and moving onto the old age pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

😊😊😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I think we know not everyone in social housing doesn’t work which fair play to those who do and people have no issue with them having a social house.

But the fact remains the majority in social housing don’t work.

They are surviving unlike your claim that it’s impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The whole SW system for the unemployed needs to be reformed. Along with the medical card system.

People are being punished for taking up a job, including loss of medical card, loss of fuel allowance, loss of Christmas bonus, plus many other benefits.

Other countries would have a sliding scale once you become unemployed, with benefits being reduced over time. But here in Ireland we reward long term unemployment with extra fuel allowance and bonuses.

We can moan about the scroungers, long term dolers all we like but when you have a system that enables and even encourages this then things are not going to change anytime soon.

Whilst I accept in principle we're your coming from, you at least acknowledge it is not entirely a bed of roses in the SW system, this narrative there's no checking, no reviews and no removal or loss of an allowance amazes me.

Whilst there are different categories of MC full or specific ones are not easy to get and are subject to reviews

There's a perfect example how brutal the system can be, only this week when a teenager with serious special needs Died, his DA was paid on the week he died and the mother got a letters from SW within days asking for the money to be returned as it was deemed an over payment, admitidly she got an apology but if the DSP can stop a DA payment within a few days of a tragic death, that suggests to me they have robust systems when it suits.

• Advertisement

Indeed, the problem does appear to be some people think users of boards are wasters, idle, unemployed lay abouts, it's shocks and stuns them that folks like me have a life and have numerous interests across the site over 11 years.

I recall some snide commentary about posters who post a night until the Gobshytes posting the nonsense about being unemployed with all the time in the world on their hands realised many users are not even in Ireland and many work night shifts 😉

Advertisement