Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

What about the political party who made degrading comments about the poor person killed? then refused to apologise or provide information to the authorities.

You seem to have an issue with a political party highlighting a huge issue, not with the party who made the dead man families life a misery. Strange carry on to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,309 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is most important that people are reminded of the victims at election time, voters need to be fully aware of the nature of who and what they are voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,593 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The families seek justice at the time they choose to speak out. If they think they'll get maximum exposure by doing so during the election cycle then that's for the families to decide.

Your disgusting efforts to silence support for those victims is very transparent - but not at all surprising given the attitude you've shown towards those victims in the past.

For a long time on here, certain posters have referenced the false allegations of criminality against Paul Quinn as some kind of justification.

and because the family spoke out and got this highlighted they finally got an apology. After years of Sinn Fein and its members refusing to.

It's an attempt to victim blame, why should the victim try to seek justice or the family try to clear the poor mans name. I see a lot of this from Sinn Fein, it really is disgusting. Never blame the sc*mbags who tortured the poor man in a horrible fashion.

• Advertisement

I fully expect 100 posts as someone dances around try to justify the murder of a man plus a political party protecting the criminals who did it.

All the time waffling about how terrible it was to highlight this case during the last election.

They went decades denying that they had abducted Jean McConville, even while the man who ordered it was leading the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,342 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That is fair enough from the families.

The issue is politicians seizing on it and turning it into a political football.

Only selected victims (probably only 10 of the 3000 or so killed in the conflict and countless injured) ever get a look in though.

How dare they support victims that might say something negative about SF........ disgusting and transparent attempt to silence anyone who dares support those victims.

If you don't find the constant political use of selective victims in a conflict that cost over 3000 lives nauseating that is for your conscience. There is a reason it was counterproductive politically.

• Advertisement

Giving support to victims of IRA violence is "nauseating". Stay classy Francie

The thing about the victims that get highlighted - Jean McConville, the other disappeared, Aine Adams, Paul Quinn, Mairia Cahill etc. - is that current politicians in Sinn Fein (and longtime posters on here) repeatedly lied about those victims, indulged in victim-blaming, pretended that the PIRA hadn't killed them etc.

Remember Jean McConville was accused of being an informer and Paul Quinn of criminality, and there are posters on here who supported those claims. Nobody talks about Margaret Tebbit, because they PIRA actually acknowledged that crime.

Other victims get talked about too. Many people are horrified by the way that kids on a boat were blown to bits by a PIRA thug who could see what he was doing, not to mention the many other children killed and maimed by the PIRA.

But hey, we are not allowed talk about these victims because the poor little politicians in Sinn Fein and the sensitive posters on here might get upset about it.

You nearly hit the 10 there blanch.

I think today shows a lot of people what was always known by me and others. That the conflict/war was filthy and obscene and that was in a large part due to a state that had no responsibility and were never properly held to account for exacerbating the conflict/war.

I was always of the opinion that the IRA were hardened and callous killers as were all the others involved including the state as we now know.

The cries of 'but but the IRA' are getting more hollow as a result of what we continue to find out. The IRA were a symptom of the conflict/war. We are getting closer and closer to what caused that conflict/war and the irresponsibility of the state in not preventing it and taking part in it.

Yes Francie - it’s all the big bad Brits fault that Marie Cahill was raped, and Paul Quinn was murdered, the Gerry sent Liam off to work with youth groups in Dundalk.

Bad things do indeed happen as a result of conflicts - but conflicts also get “exploited” by bad people looking for cover to commit all kinds of unspeakable acts. There’s acts of war, and there’s war crimes.

Sinn Fein and their die-hard cheerleaders refuse to distinguish one from the other - hence we get the online army piling on to try and silence anyone who highlights the acts committed by the IRA or their members which anywhere else in the world would be acknowledged and prosecuted as war crimes - or simply just crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Asking for justice for people who died on active duty for the IRA - fine.

Asking for justice for people who were raped, tortured, murdered by the IRA - exploiting victims.

Shinnerlogic.

Absolutely. No argument there. I have said before that I believe criminals attached themselves seeing opportunity. I also said Adams was wrong in how he dealt with his brother...I even said he should have resigned. The IRA didn't murder Paul Quinn... the IMC report confirms it. Maria Cahill was not allegedly raped because of the conflict/war, she was raped by a rapist. Women are still being raped.

The point though was that there would not have been a war at all had a state acted responsibly. The conflict would not have been exacerbated had a state acted responsibly even after it begun.

That can still be said while condemning paramilitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Francis McM

What do you mean "That can still be said while condemning paramilitaries".

I never heard you condemning the Republican paramilitaries FrancieBrady.

I have condemned all the violence from the start>

I don't cherrypick.

We were through that before. You always condemned everything the British and loyalists did ( even law abiding actions by law abiding British and loyalists ) but you never condemned anything the Republican paramilitaries did because they were justifiable "acts of war" or some such nonsense.

• Advertisement

Read carefully: I condemn ALL the violence from the start.

I never supported the IRA or any paramilitary group.

So why do or did you never condemn the pIRA, INLA etc. I suppose you are like Gerry Adams ( who never was in the IRA) : you are not in to the politics of condemnation?

"All the Violence" says you, but you look on the actions of the pIRA as those of an army, of course that was not violence when it came from them, says you. We were through that before. As noted before,you always condemned everything the British and loyalists did ( even law abiding actions by law abiding British and loyalists ) but you never condemned anything the Republican paramilitaries did because they were justifiable "acts of war" or some such nonsense.

You are going around in circles, like Adams who would not condemn the bombings and actions of the pIRA but yet he said he condemned all violence.

Last time.

If you need to make stuff up about me, that says all we need to know about your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

here we are again with all the experts on the north in the one thread - with at least 95% of them getting their information from newspapers and not from actually living there. Nobody wanted what happened, but it happened because of the greed on an outside nation. You cant condemn normal people for fighting back against an armed oppressor .

You say " it happened because of the greed on an outside nation." Are you referring about Ireland's claim to N.Ireland in our constitution, which was dropped in the GFA?

You say " You cant condemn normal people for fighting back against an armed oppressor".

There was not that much fighting back, if you mean literally "fighting back" from normal people. Across Co Fermanagh for example, 112 people were killed as a result of terrorism in the Troubles. The vast majority of those were Protestants (be they off duty part time farmers / part time police shot in the back, or people in Enniskillen etc ) murdered by Republicans. Some would think of it / call it ethnic cleansing along the border. Most of the murders have gone unsolved. But one thing for sure, most people did not join the loyalist paramilitaries to fight back against the greed of an outside nation, as you call it.

As the leader of FF pointed out yesterday, the pIRA was responsible for most of the deaths during the Troubles. M. Martin is after saying that Sinn Féin should accept that the campaign was “wrong and futile”. Maybe if they did that it would help them form a government, who knows.

Post edited by Francis McM on

I agree with you - the North is a different place. Only people who live there understand Northern Ireland and are part of Northern Ireland. That is why a united Ireland makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

NO-NO looks a cert , its a very embarrassing result for the government but I feel that SF have really missed a trick of not been on the no side.

Its all antidotal obviously but speaking to SF voters who voted no Mary Lou been on the wrong side has not gone down well at all.

Be interesting to see the breakdown of voters when its all sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

speaking to SF voters who voted no Mary Lou been on the wrong side has not gone down well at all.

As long as the vast majority turn out and vote for them at the GE SF won't care. They seem to be out of step with a big chunk of their support on immigration too but are just ploughing ahead...

Advertisement