Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

And it stayed awful for months after nice weather for the bank holiday that year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's cold enough to have the central heating on this weekend but the fire I probably could have done without, but my father is 76 and really feels the cold fast.

It's not just our house either, I seen smoke coming from several chimneys in the area this afternoon.

The last time I had to light the fire during the summer was June and July 2020, now that was a horrible summer, probably the worst since the run of horrid summers from 2007 to 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Unbelievably horrible day. Seems like the sun is on the one day on one day off schedule. Seems to be raining a lot in Dublin over the past 5 weeks. Not sure if this is anything out of the ordinary though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo, we also have the heating on, just for an hour to take the chill out of the house.

It's a cold, wet, dark miserable day and only 10 degrees.

If you changed the month from June to January no one would bat an eyelid when you said the heating was on.

I put the heating on based on actually weather not the so called 'summer' it's meant to be.

It was like Christmas week in Smyths, obviously we are all bribing our kids with toys to keep them occupied indoors🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next problem is finding a window of opportunity to cut the grass and I think the only time will be tomorrow. Tomorrow will be mostly dry. Tuesday to the following week will be daily downpours, showers, prolonged spells of rain and fairly windy conditions. Tuesday onwards will be a complete write off so best get the lawnmowers on the go tomorrow. Up to 60mm of rain could fall between Tuesday and next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭highdef

Has been a pleasantly mild day near Ardagh, Longford. Very little wind too so have been gardening all day. Sun has started to make an appearance and it's feeling quite warm now. It just passed the 18c mark. Was not expecting to see the sun today, never mind stay dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Carrickfinn Airport (Donegal) 20 degrees:

EIDL 051530Z 11007KT 070V150 CAVOK 20/09 Q1016

Casement 10 degrees:

EIME 051600Z 08008KT 5000 -DZ FEW005 SCT007 BKN010 10/10 Q1017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see Thursday and Friday an area of low pressure and quite low for this time of year will wizz to our west with the strongest of winds off shore

The winds for Thursday/friday now not looking as severe as what was showing past few days however it will still be fairly windy and no shortage of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't get why some people are annoyed at posters complaining about the weather. The fact is that we do get some terrible bad bouts in summer, if not an entire summer bad bout. Days are long, kids are on holidays, of course people feel short changed by lousy conditions. One poster said you'd have to be in the Med for evening sitting out weather but I don't think that's true. I lived in Brussels for years and though they get their share of rain and bad weather, summers tend to be warm and I have great memories of late night sit outs in shorts and T.shirt. Even in England you get a fair bit of such weather. We're not in Iceland after all, we can surely expect a little bit better here.

Miserable this evening in Tralee and I got soaked out walking. I'm heading away to the sun for two weeks on Friday and looks like I picked a good time to go but first I need outside painting done which couldn't be done last week due to rain and looks like the coming week will be a right off as well.

So for all sorts of reasons weather blues in summer are very understandable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

All we are short is a song about an Umbrella or some other sort of rain protection equipment and we are right back to 2007 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Summer so far has just been a tease. I hope it improves. As for sitting out at night, had many a night sitting out last summer one particularly 3am and outside in a sundress and no shoes and not one ounce of cold. It is possible in Ireland, just not frequent. this year we’ve had to power wash the yard again since march to get rid of the green algae. That tells me all I need to know about the lack of sun and heat thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've travelled a fair bit around Europe during the early summer and basically London and the south east of England, as well as the entire of continental Europe from the Netherlands east and everything south of that will get good evenings where you can sit out.

Wales, Scotland and Ireland are literally the only parts of Europe that get endless muck like we do. Even Helsinki is 18C this week. Munich 27C, then three days of rain at 24C.

But we seem to be the only place that gets cold, wind and rain in summer.

A winters evening in Arklow

Spirs of rain all day,mostly light

Max temp 12c

Currently 10c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

North Kildare: dark and wet outside all day. We have the stove on now because it's miserably cold as well. Summer me arse.

No heating on in my house

Indoor temp is 17c

Couldn't justify it

Master bedroom upstairs has the windows open and has managed to stay at 14c

Perfect for sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was a beautiful weekend in Derry / Donegal.

Think tomorrow not to be as warm, but should be dry for most of Monday too.

That might have been the summer!

Fire lit for the second evening in a row. Baltic outside and indoor temperature only 15C, the house has cooled down alot after a whole week of cool weather and cold, damp conditions this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Very grim in north Wicklow. Like a winter's evening as someone said which is funny as we never really got winter this year, just some fresh spring kind of days. Mad to think the longest day of the year is 2 weeks away, summer feels still a couple of months away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lovely day 2day in Belmullet - nasty NE wind from yesterday finally buggered off to leave very pleasent conditions with temps around 19c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Still warm here in east Mayo. I'm just in from playing with the dog. No rain at all either.

Todays maximum temperatures. Winter was biting today across much of Ireland with Dublin and surrounding areas particularly cold. A taste of summer across the far north-western areas with temperatures close to 20C. In terms of cold we gave parts of the artic circle a run for it's money.

Ireland fails to get cold most winters but we get a gold star for it during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A poor day in southern Laois with rain non-stop from 10am through to 2pm then it eased off to drizzle until 3pm. Overcast and even some light fog this afternoon and no warmth whatsoever. Our high was a paltry 12.5c!

While 12.5c was a cold June day, I've recorded three colder June days - the coldest of which was 10.8c on June 6th 2019. Interestingly, 2019 was a cold start to June and led to a fairly non-descript summer, though our hurlers made up for it!

It was even worse in Dublin Danno, started raining at 6am and never stopped once all day and it was still raining when I was heading to bed at 10.30pm.

Of course, according to Met Eireann, the forecast for Dublin was scattered showers.

I'll give them showers, bunch of chancers.

I'm thinking of volunteering my services to them free of charge. I'll look out my window for them and change the forecast accordingly as they don't seem to be able to do that.

Ha, I suppose that was aimed at me!! Touché.

I just think it's odd that there was barely a mention of the weather in Cork on this thread for months when we had a great dry spell and some lovely weather, then it breaks and people are lining up to tell us it's raining without any sense of perspective or context.

Reminds me of a woman I work who announces every day how 'shocking' the weather is irrespective of the actual weather we are experiencing. Could be 25 degrees.

Anyway, I've noticed this trend developing in our weather over the last few years - long dry spell abruptly ended by a an intense period of rain that last up to 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I think we’d some very average weather during the spring and if you go back into the Spring thread that’s very much reflected some good and some not so good days. This weekend for the majority of the country has been terrible though and magnified by the fact that it’s a bank holiday. Regarding your woman at work I know plenty of them who are on the other extreme too

I think it's the rainfall, which people seem to get so exercised by, that I'm referring to. It's been a very dry winter and spring. Remarkably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another putrid day in Cork 🥳

• Advertisement

She's peeping out the curtains

Well the statistics are in for yesterday, Dublin airport reached a Max of 11.5 and Dunsany similar at 11.6.

They have to be some of lowest Max for a day in June.

And people were wondering why myself and Gonzo had the heating on, well there you go.

The only thing I'm surprised is that the rainfall is as low as it was.

It literally didn't stop raining in Dublin from 6am-10pm but I suppose some of it was more drizzly at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Since 1942 when records began at the Airport, there have been 18 colder June days in terms of absolute max than 5 June 2022. On 11 June 1977 it only got up to 9.1C all day. 6 June 2009 got up to 9.3C and 2 June 1964 got up to 9.8C. Recently, we only got 11.1C on 12 June 2019 and 3 June 2012 (the day I mentioned comparable to yesterday).

She's out

Thanks Sryanbruen, always on the ball, so it is up there with one of coldest days in June.

I'm nearly afraid now to ask but do you know if in any of those years they ended up having a good summer in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

OVERVIEW: Becoming quite unsettled through the rest of the week with wet and blustery conditions at times.  

rest of the week. Becoming quite unsettled? What exactly would you describe it now? Wet and blustery. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As silly as it sounds, can understand what they're saying. Later this week we could be talking deep low pressure with strong winds. Meanwhile this weekend and today has been a flabby upper trough sticking around the south of the country whilst a weak ridge of high pressure has been keeping the far north dry and sunny.

It is funny though 😂 sure we'll be the last ones laughing when we endure yet MORE bloody wind.

Thankfully it's dry in Dublin this morning, so it's off to park in case it rains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Day 3 of the bank holiday weekend and its once again dry with sunny spells here in Castlebar. A very pleasant few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

Day 3 and I have yet to see the sun. Spent Saturday in Waterford and got drowned. Yesterday at home in Laois, washout. Today, gloom all around, no rain yet I suppose.

The piece that annoys me the most is that a warm sunny weekend was predicted up to Wednesday/Thursday...

It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Stunning day in Dublin 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The cloud cover is now a uniformly slate grey colour, a sight to behold.

Is their any signs of 2 dry days on the horizon to make silage in the Munster area? The bbc had a high pressure out in the Atlantic at the end of their long range forecast, we need that to move in. This week is no good. Another damp day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Went to wexford to get out of the house and she appeared. Didn’t expect it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really warm and sunny in Cork City now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

15.2C here out by the coast in Kerry, totally overcast after a damp morning, early afternoon...signs of the cloud getting lighter.

Hopefully the cloud will break up from the South for the evening.

a much better day today in Meath, Sun has finally appeared and it actually feels really warm compared to yesterday even tho the temperature is only 15C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This afternoon has managed to rescue what remains of the bank holiday. Sunny and quite pleasant.

A beautiful day now in NCD, sun is shining.

Glad we went to park later on in day as benefited most then from the nice weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Blue sky and some sun at last. Actually quite pleasant in the sun as the wind has died down. Making the most of the afternoon.

Definitely make the most of the nice afternoon. No shortage of rainfall from tomorrow and over the following 7 days. Managed to get the lawn cut today to take advantage of this slim window of opportunity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement