Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

At my Davis station,located in an exposed rural spot near the coast in Arklow,the average daily max temp for May was 16.1c

Average daily min was 8.1c

11 days were above 16c

That was by no means Cold and in fact we had pretty much record grass growth in the period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Great day in Mayo today. Sun shining and it still is now. I was outside with just shorts on for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So for summer people who want to just be able to sit outside in a t-shirt in the evening in June or simply lie on the grass in a park reading a book or catch some rays, it just always seems to disappoint.

With respect, if someone wants this so badly then they really shouldn't be living on an island at 53N on the edge of the Atlantic. The climate you mention above is not typical of here, and such t-shirt evenings in June are the exception rather than the rule. I suggest somewhere in the Med. for that. It was 40.4 in Alghero, Sardinia today, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Average would be great 😆 11 degrees and rain all day today is way below average. And as mentioned a few times on here, May was pretty average daytime temps but the milder nights brought the monthly average up a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

we just have to put up with this climate that we endure, another summer and the Azores disappears but you can bet your house that a big 1040 one will be around next December!

Probably the most depressing June charts I’ve seen in ten years!

Actually I thought of the famous Belmullet weather report of June 1944 looking at the charts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A stunning evening here in Castlebar , light winds and clear blue skies. Nearby Newport reporting 18 degrees at 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Here in Belmullet it was similar conditions but the strength of the wind really took the edge off temps - hopefully it starts to calm down for the remaining days of the BH!!

Your getting a lovely sunset there right about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Oscar Bravo, stunning sunset in county Longford too, at the end of a beautiful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Damn that's class! Nothing like it here in my part of Dublin, had a couple clouds glowing red but nothing special. Looks more like a winter sky than a summer one with how vivid those reds are.

• Advertisement

Lovely highdef! Lots of showers popping up across Wales now with plenty of lightning. Some heavy stuff around Arklow also

Castlebar 1017pm looking NW

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Notions11

I'm keeping everything crossed! First gig since before covid...... Be just like me to end up with pneumonia 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is more of a hunch than a long-range forecast but I would expect June and July to come in fairly close to average and August and September warmer than normal this year. I realize that August often disappoints with a lot of cloud but certainly overdue for a back-loaded summer. Of course, if August is above normal like May was, nobody is going to notice the warmth at midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Usually here in the south east we would have had a hot spell by now but it hasn’t materialised yet. We have barely had our garden furniture or barbecue out so far. But it hasn’t been awful either. If we get some good weather in July and august I’ll be happy enough. August in particularly has been very disappointing in recent years.

But we've just had a remarkably dry May, and most of the year so far, with every month down on average rainfall except one. We had a wet day but when was the last wet day we had? Pity it landed on a Bank Holiday. For anyone with a garden, it was badly needed. The soil was bone dry in Cork City.

I also cycle a lot and last night (Saturday) was the first evening since the clocks went back that I decided not to go out as the weather was bad. It's been breezy and the sun hasn't been splitting the rocks but I'm happy as long as I can get out with the kids and get out on the bike and into the garden. This year has been exceptional so far in that regard in Cork.

I stopped posting here because of the negativity and I also found people could never see past the weather on the day they were complaining about. Just checked in again after a long time and nothing has changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tickets for bloom today.. should be a good washout

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Disusting p1ssing rain n cork city again after horrible day yesterday that didn't stop pouring down all day

Negative enough for ye ?

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

May was very dry in Cork but not elsewhere.

Met Eireann noted the number of rain days varied from 14 days(Cork) to 22 days, and a number of stations were above 100% of average.

From Sept-Mar it was exceptional dry and on our school run there was only a handful of times in that whole period that we drove to school due to rain.

However towards end April/ May we drove to school more than in the whole of those 7 mths.

We all knew dry spell couldn't last forever, it's just a shame that it may be summer months where we now get above average rainfall.

Lights are on here in NCD as its so dark and it's raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was 12C at 07:30 here in the far North.

Another nice day on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Very dry in Cork alright in May only 14 days of rain-marvellous

Very disappointing alright, we usually always go to bloom but decided to give it a miss this year with the newborn.

We had 42 per cent of the long term average rainfall for the month of May in the May just gone.

We had exactly 20 per cent of the rain we got in May 2021.

But it's raining this morning so I guess that means you are right. QED.

Ah yeah, I get that. I was responding to someone complaining about rain in Cork when we've just come out of an exceptionally dry spell.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yesterday was a tale of two halves weather wise, max of only 14 degrees at Dublin airport while plenty of stations in West nearly reached 20 degrees.

• Advertisement

Raining in Arklow

If only it were -12 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A balmly 11 degrees in Cork this morning.

Come on now everyone let's be positive, at least we won't need sunscreen today!

My 5 year old has just asked me is it not meant to be summer, god love him he has a lot to learn about Irish weather🤣.

Another morning of long sunny spells here in Castlebar. (Belmullet 17 degrees at 10am)

To be fair looking at the latest obs its fairly miserable in the east and south

EIDW 050900Z 08012KT 9000 -SHRA SCT007 BKN009 11/09 Q1018 TEMPO BKN012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We need some rain, I grant you that, but the last 24 hours in Cork it's not let up at all really. Miserable, grey, misty. And the next week looks like a peach as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Raining. Wicklow.

Can't believe they have lucked out in the West this bank holiday weekend. Typical when I'm not in the West. In the Wicklow Hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

It is. Cold dark and wet. Tomorrow will be better.

Wow, it really is a tale of two halves weather wise this weekend.

Glad at least the West is getting to enjoy a nice June Bank Holiday.

Absolutely dismal for any time of the year in Cork. Apologies for anyone that offends 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Sunny Southeast is having a monsoon weekend, torrential rain and the cloud is stretched across to Wales and further so plenty more to come from the east unfortunately 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

After an absolutely beautiful week of sunshine. Such a change 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its not often the N/NW gets the best of the sunshine, but looks like this weekend is spoiling us.

I'd never begrudge those in the west decent weather, lord knows they deserve it for what they put up with weather wise most of the year 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Completely overcast in South Leitrim. On the plus side the wind has died down.

Just an edit the cool wind has picked up again.

Post edited by OldRio on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cold wet morning here in Meath, heating just switched on for a little while. Had to light the fire last night for the father and will be doing the same this evening. It really is like late autumn. Disgraceful temperatures for early summer.

Tomorrow will be another very chilly day in the southern and eastern half of the country but temperatures should start to improve a bit on Tuesday. However it will generally turn much more unsettled as the new week progresses with a possible storm and downpours from Thursday. There may also be a thunderstorm risk in places on Friday and into next weekend but we will see if the models still hold onto this idea in a few days. After that we could be looking at another very cool spell with a northerly shot possible.

I would be laughin if this was winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Miserable cloudy cool day in Galway where is the 20 degrees on the map last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭champchamp

Rain all weekend, so much for the summery conditions that were forecast last Wednesday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No case of putting lipstick on a pig today. Atrocious conditions in Dublin 13 for June. It's 10C at 1 p.m. with drizzle. Being reminded of this same Sunday 10 years ago, 3 June 2012, when the same weather occurred during the Diamond Jubilee.

Abhorrent, disgusting, rotten, diabolical, terrible, vile, gross, mouldy, filthy, grim, dire, despicable, awful whatever negative superlative you'd like to describe it.

Yeh. Really bad. Mild January type weather. Nothing summery. Howth was quiet today, unusual for a long weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is as bad as it gets for summer. 10C here too and feels colder than that. Much of England and Wales in a simialr position, cold and wet, parts of Wales currently only 8C.

We should finally get rid of these winter style temperatures by Tuesday. It may turn unsettled but at least temperatures will be back in the mid to upper teens once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Looks like mayo along with donegal and derry are the last ones standing with regards to sunshine and warmth awful here in South West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

amazing the difference a few miles make on the weather in this island, here in mid Down it`s turning out a pleasant afternoon, temps up to 15C and the sun breaking through now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Negativity not allowed on here so it's a beautifully wet and grey day in Cork and a sizzling 11 degrees. It's stunning.

I agree it's an absolutely stunning day here in Dublin....... if your a duck😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Heating on this time of year. You remind me of the room I rented out in a house in Athlone where a family of eastern Europeans lived. There I was sitting down on laptop in the middle of summer and thinking why the hell am I so hot. The father used to turn the heating on every now and then in the middle of summer. I was always thinking this would be a great place in the winter he must have the heat on all the time then. I never stayed till winter just a couple of months in the summer I moved into another place in another county.

Advertisement