Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to put in for wedding nowadays

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Housefree

Our rates for a couple:

Acquaintances €150

Friends €200 ( more if your grooms/bridesmade)

Very close family (brothers/Sisters etc)€350-500 (depending on budget at the time)

For reference we drive an old '06 Punto car, rent accommodation and are pretty much smashed broke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I hate the whole culture of giving €100 ‘s in gifts. Unless it’s a good friend or close family member, I politely decline to go. I knew of people who invited huge numbers, some mere acquaintances in the hope of getting a ball of dough to cover the cost. Funnily I haven’t had an invite lately 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's it. People getting married expect to earn a lot of it back via presents. Just don't have a massive expensive wedding, you're not that important!

One of my friends got married a few years back. Civil ceremony, 20 people max, cost very little and over in 20 minutes (including photos!) and happened at 4pm. In the restaurant for 5pm, finished by 6.30pm. Back to the hotel penthouse for a small party of <40 total. Hotel even threw in a staff member to hand out free drink for a few hours. BYOB after that, or down to the bar to get some sent up. He said overall, including the free drink and free meal for everyone, the whole day cost them <€5000.

And as someone else pointed out, the whole wedding day is very expensive, even as a guest. Madness to then be expected to fork over more money just because... As I said initially, if you're only inviting me because you hope I bring money, then don't invite me. The days of helping out like that are over, gone. It's not necessary anymore and any money people make from a wedding probably won't cover half the cost anyway, such are the notions of Irish people getting married...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How much would you give for a siblings wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Definitely nothing, because it most likely is already costing more than a non-family wedding. Why should I? They earn more than me.

I don't agree with giving money for these things. It should never be about the money. You're inviting me to celebrate your wedding, not to line your pockets. I'd imagine the people who are upset about not getting money from someone they invited to their wedding, are the same people who get upset because you didn't get them anything for their 27th birthday.

Any time I've ever hosted anything, solo or during those rare times as a couple, I paid for everything. Food, drink, venue, etc. I didn't, nor would I ever, expect anyone to give me money, nor would I get upset if someone didn't.

Greed, selfishness and expectation are what put people here. And continuing it, while the price of everything expect my wage soars, is just madness. Same as the yanks expecting you to tip as standard. Stupid passing of the issue onto others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement