Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to put in for wedding nowadays

Options
  • 29-05-2022 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have 4 weddings to attend this year. So just wanna get an idea of how much should put in as a family of 4.

1. for my brother in laws wedding
    2. for cousin’s wedding

would €600 for brother in law and €500 for cousin be ok? This is my maximum budget. That’s like €2200 in total.

all 4 weddings will be in Ireland and we pay for hotel room. Plus dresses and suits so it would about €3500 maximum as the man can wear the same suits. 😜

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's more than I'd put in for cousins.

Brother in law, depends how close ye are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think you're being extremely generous there, in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

I heard from colleagues they putting €200 for friends so family of 4, €400 for the adults and €100 for each child as they all count as when they pay for the meal?

really out of date of how much to put in as I haven’t attend any wedding for at least 5 years.

all these weddings were supposed to happen during covid but got pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are we talking two different brothers-in-law and two different cousins here, totaling the four weddings?

And you're a family of four, two adults x 200 euro each plus 2 kids x 100 each totalling 600 for the each brother in law totalling 1200 in gifts forc those two weddings?

I'd be giving a lump-sum on behalf of the family rather than doing maths like that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Masala

I would expect that a Meal including welcome drinks and tea/ coffee later would be approx €100 a head min. So to cover the Couple for extras etc ..... I would give €150 a head. I reckon anyone getting married would be happy if they covered the wedding costs with the cash gifts..... the honey moon is their own savings !! Cute Cavan man answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I think 100 is more than enough. I'm getting married in a few weeks and wouldn't expect anymore than that from anyone, including brothers, close friends etc.

Yes 2 in laws weddings

and 2 cousins weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

€500 for brother in law and €300 for cousin max. Kids meals are cheaper and that's more than generous when you add up all the other costs.

I'd be wearing the same outfit to 2 weddings too, it wouldn't bother me who remembered. Alternatively buy separates that you can mix and match for different weddings and one bag/pair of shoes that can be worn to all the weddings. Try charity and secondhand shops, at least for the kid's clothes as wedding style outfits were probably only worn once.

Then think of the holiday you could have had with all the money and cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We weren’t even giving gifts like that during the good times.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I had suits bought from Tom Murpy surprisingly for my son it was €150 covered everything including shirt, suit and shoes, bow tie.

but I have a feeling it won’t fit him by end of this year. 😩

the girl has 2 dresses bought.

the man can wear same for the 4 weddings.

as long as my budget doesn’t look stingy to today’s rate I am happy.

the 2 brother in laws are always good to my kids, we don’t see each other that much but they don’t forget kid’s birthdays and communions and confirmation.

good uncles in general.

2 cousins aren’t that close, only meet up for Xmas dinner that kind of stuff.

but all maintaining a good relationship.

• Advertisement

I misread your message and didn't read the family of 4 bit - but 400 for all of you is definitely enough, and if your children are young you can reduce that further.

Kids are 10 and 13

but 2 brother in laws are the god-fathers and they are good to kids.

never missed a birthday or Xmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Xander10

Seems more than enough to me. I have a family invite to an overseas wedding and between flights and apartments, clothes, incidental costs such as renewing passports etc, it's racking up a fair sum before any gift.

I'm coming around to thinking it's selfish to organise big overseas weddings.

Oversea weddings can be costly and stressful honestly.

my colleague was talking about a co-work invited him for a USA wedding and he is going.

but he kind of treat it like a holiday.

so it might be worth it.

but to a family yes it’s a bit burden.

It's awful that guests feel they have to 'cover' the cost of their plate. Realistically, the couple should cover all costs and be grateful for any gifts they receive, yet we all get in a tizzy worrying about the 'going rate' for christenings, communions, confirmations and weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

A just eat voucher or petrol voucher for €50. That’s plenty.

They will likely have kids of their own and you can return their generosity then, but it shouldn't oblige you to give them extortionate wedding gifts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AH answer. If you don't go to the wedding they'd save a small fortune on the hotel and bar bill. Everyone wins !

It depends on their status. If they need money always give money. If they don't need money try for memories either of the past or something that will give them memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

It’s my presence not my present they look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

100 squids a head, max.

€600 feels like an odd number to me. If I were you I'd leave it at €500, in all cases.

Again thinking about my wedding coming up, I have nieces and I would not expect my brother to contribute for them. I think anyone who's a student / child is exempt from presents. You'll have to pay for accommodation and maybe buy outfits for them as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I don't understand this covering costs stuff for weddings. It's not a business deal. You're being invited. If they can't afford it, registry's office. Of course I'd give something (weddings are a summons to me, but in saying that I'm getting married next year, but expect nothing and want nothing except good company) but if its an expectation then I'd consider it a shallow money grab. Wedding for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I think IF you can afford it €200 total is generous for cousin and €3-400 for brother in law is also plenty.

Don't even consider the wedding costs, you are not buying a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The point is that you're giving a gift. You are not paying for the cost of the wedding or your participation in it. You are an invited guest. You could just as easily have bought a physical gift instead of giving money. Trying to make it a contribution to the costs is a daft idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭touts

What's wrong with a toaster? Everyone needs a toaster. And you probably have a couple in the attic from your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think nowadays people just give cash rather than presents.

I had my wedding back in 2008, I got half presents which I have never used, like crusts candle holders, Crystal wineglasses, clocks I mean so many clocks in different styles😁 they all from my parents generation relatives.

but I have never used them seriously I think they are just sitting in attic waiting to become antique

so I think it’s easier and practical to give cash as they have to spent a lot to host the wedding and cash would help them to pay for stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Got married myself a few months ago, thought guests were very generous but the OP is being overly generous

Advertisement