Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenant moved in with a pet without telling us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If they bring that in you will have even less places to rent as more will fall out of the market as pets are a cause of lots of deposit disputes and disputes in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I'm right though. It's been documented and reported on widely the two generations now aren't having children, most people can't keep pets, most people can't afford land or a house even on a good salary. We're all shoved into subpar poorly maintained overpriced boxes where we can't even far without a landlord and their rat curtain twitchers whinging about literally nothing. I've my suspicions that OP is purely doing this out of spite at this stage.

You're probably blinded by your privilege like most of landlords who got lucky during the boom trying to make profit from other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Dear God, LLs are now to blame for the decline in birth rates. Is there no end to the stupidity.

There's been a pet boom in the pandemic.

Landlords are created all the time and leave all the time. There are booms and recession periodically. People are making and losing fortunes daily.

But if you decide to have a pet that you can't afford, or house that's solely your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

That's such a stupid and tunnel-visioned reply.

You have to put it in context of the op and not some made up crap to suit your narrative.

The op has said that they were very selective and obviously vetted the couple well. So the only issue is a pet. If not specifically mentioned in the lease, there's very little if anything that can be done.

But it is correct that if a couple that have passed a strict vetting also have a pet, they will most likely be excellent tenants as this thread alone shows the unwarranted negativity towards pets, thus a near impossible task to find a landlord that does accept a pet and therefore if you are in a property that allows you keep the pet, you will not do anything to lose that property

• Advertisement

That's over simplistic and dismissive.

Why does it matter if landlords don't personally like pets? They are not being asked to share their own home with them. Nor one is suggesting keeping pets in appropriate places. That would be harmful to the pet.

I disagree with what appears to be the opinion of most landlords that pet owners are largely irresponsible. I've owned pets, cats and dogs, all my life, and they are not the beasts of destruction they are being made out to be.

The vast majority of prospective tenants are being denied the opportunity to own a pet and prove they ARE responsible owners. It's my opinion, that with a healthy security deposit against pet damage, they should be allowed that opportunity without it being dismissed out of hand.

The UK is suggesting as part of their measures that renters require a mandatory Certificate of Responsible Animal Guardianship that landlords can request to show the details of the animal, and they are responsible owners who care for their animals.

Surely that, and a willingness on the part of the prospective tenant to pay a healthy pet security deposit, would be an indication of a responsible pet owner and at least warrant a discussion on the subject?

It’s naive of you to think that the property owners opinion on pets would not influence their policy on pets.

It is also naive to think a security deposit would either cover all potential damage costs, or that the tenant would not either challenge those costs or knowing that damage has been done, be tempted to use it as payment for rent, as oft happens with the standard deposit.

No one should blame LLs for doing everything possible to reduce risk, including the exclusion of pets in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its not really though. It's a totally seperate conversation.

If you want to rally for better rights for pet owners, away ya go and do it. It doesn't change the circumstances of the situation the landlord or tenant had at the start of the transaction or as the stand currently.

I've already stated that I think what happened in the original case that started this thread was fair enough.

That doesn't mean the thread cant move on to a more general discussion.

So no discussion warranted, just a hard "No". Okay then.

Seems a shame to me. You could be turning down people who would make extremely good tenants out of hand, just because they own a pet, and then let to someone who doesn't who might trash the place anyway.

Hopefully at some stage, Ireland will follow the UKs example and look into making renting with pets easier. Threshold is in favour of it.

• Advertisement

A general discussion on what? Tenants with pets rights and the benefits of having pets? May as well go in the direction of what to do,if you are considering getting a pet, in the current framework of tenancies and property availability. Would be far more beneficial to people in those positions than talking about something that's not actually part of reality.

Owning a dog is like owning a baby grand. It's gonna limit where you can live.

LLs can never know with absolute certainty whether new tenants will turn out to be good or bad, the best they can do is try to do all they can to limit risk. If it comes to a choice between a tenant with pets or one without, then there is less risk without pets. Now some people can argue that there is no reason to suspect that the pet will cause damage, but if there is no pet, there is no concern/risk of a pet causing that damage.

So no, there is no discussion necessary, if the LL refuses to rent to people with pets, then that is, and should always be their right. Threshold is in favour of anything that benefits tenants, so that is hardly a validation of your viewpoint.

It is very possible it could become part of reality in the future. Wherever the UK go, Ireland tends to follow.

Maybe you should try being open to a discussion on the subject, at least.

Landlords are bound to management rules.

They are also bound by anti social behavior of tenants and their pets.

You are only seeing one blinkered view of this.

I'd actually argue yours is the blinkered view.

And landlords are not bound by the anti-social behaviour of their tenants (or their pets). Try getting a landlord to deal with an anti-social tenant.

Landlords and management also cannot refuse assistance animals, so they do not have the final say in all circumstances.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to try and rent in this market.

This thread is not about guide dogs, it’s about pets. Guide dog owners are covered by equality legislation.

And yes, property owners are bound by management company rules and antisocial behaviour, a neighbour can take a third party dispute to the RTB. Just because there are difficulties removing antisocial tenants does not mean the property owner isn’t absolved of their obligations.

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/third-party-dispute-resolution-services

We live in the now.

If you want to discuss the potential for giving people with pets better rental right then I'd suggest starting a new thread on it.

I don't have a view either way on pets however I do think that if you make the choice to get a pet you need to accept the consequences of that decision in the now. No point saying, I am getting a pet - it's not going to effect my life in any negative way whatsoever when there plainly are plenty of negatives in owning a pet as well as positives.

That's as open as the discussion really needs to be currently.

Talking about how things "Should" be doesn't change any of the facts of where the OP finds themselves now.

This thread isn't about assistance animals. That's a bogus argument that shows you don't want to broaden the discussion but engage in whataboutery.

LL have been made responsible for anti social tenants. That they are powerless to do anything about it seems to be missed. They will probably do the same with pets. Force LLs to accept pets then expect them to police them.

The rental market is what all the new legislation made it. LLs don't regulate the market or policy it.

The thread is about animals in rented properties. Assistance dogs are animals. That's not whataboutery, thats fact.

And if assistance animals can be legislated for, then so can other animals - and I hope it happens, for all those who would like to own a pet, but are not in a position to buy their own home.

Anyway, there will be no agreement reached here, so I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Seriously? I wasn't replying to the op or commenting on his post (as was clarified in my post), rather the nonsense replies some posters have been making, congratulations on joining that group!

You can't argue with stupid so I'll leave it there!

Actually it's about sometime breaking the terms of their lease. If you find someone with an assistance animal thats breaking all the rules of to their lease an assistance animal won't negate any of that.

As such its irrelevant.

It's a dishonest argument.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I suppose what makes an "extremely good tenant" is subjective. Lying and breaking the lease agreement would not be part of most peoples definition though. Dogs have a strong smell and it is very noticeable when you go to a house with dogs living in it. The owners have gone nose-blind, so they don't mind. Similar to smoking really.

It’s about pets. Assistance animals are legislated for because it would be discriminatory to refuse to rent to someone who needs one.

Reading this thread and others like it has made me glad I'm now a council tenant rather than relying on the private market with all the b******* that entails.

A simple solution for the tenants to deal with the landlord could simply for one of them to take the dog for a walk when the landlord wants to do an inspection and hide any dog related items. If I'm not mistaken landlords have to give reasonable notice before entering the tenants home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Ah for god sake would you stop haha.

Yes my sense of privilege where I rent my house with my dog that I told my landlord up front about.

Such a sense of entitlement from people that rules don't apply to them. No wonder the country is in the state its in.

Eh, what’s to stop the LL just standing outside the property to see if there is a pet there?

Thank I'm glad I'm finally getting use out of all the taxes I have paid for working nearly full time. But you are right, we do need more social housing. No one should have to rely on private landlords and all of their s***** rules.

The landlord didn't discover the dog. It was reported to them by someone else. Kinda hard to hide a dog from your neighbours.

Also you're going down the route of being dishonest. Not a good sign tbh.

Gives the impression (perhaps incorrectly) you don't like rules or respect them.

• Advertisement

You are right. I don't like b******* rules and will ignore them as much as possible.

So what you are basically saying is there is no evidence of the dog existing? Just a report from the neighbour that could in all likelihood be false.

Hiding the dog from the landlord doesn't seem like it would be that impossible considering that they need to announce and inspection in advance of it taking place, and if the landlord does go ahead and try and kick them out. I hope the tenants over hold without paying as much as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement