Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenant moved in with a pet without telling us

Options
  • 18-05-2022 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are renting out a Duplex we have in Dublin, we have moved to the other side of the country, because of this we used a Dublin based estate agent to select tenants, we were very clear that we did not want tenants with pets as we were concerned about damage etc. After being very selective we decided upon a couple who moved into the property approx 6 weeks ago, we were tipped off today by a former neighbour that they moved in with a dog.

We will be raising the issue with the EA tomorrow but would like to understand what our options are?

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, how was it resolved?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Is there a "no pets" clause in the lease?

I have duplex in Dublin let to European tenants who keep pets, with my consent. They are great tenants and even have re painted the interior same colour from time to time. There is no evidence of any pet damage, if any was caused they have repaired it. A lot of continental Europeans are very responsible pet keepers, and as an animal lover myself, I was willing to take the risk and it has worked out. I reckon some tenants might be way worse than any animals they might keep.

Your options are either let them stay with the pet or give them one months' notice to quit.

Doesn't matter if it's in the lease or not, you can cancel within the first 6 months for ANY reason. If they're so flagrantly sidestepping any rules already handed down, then good riddance, they'll treat every rule like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

Why is a dog a problem? Does the flat have rare irreplaceable antique furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Pet owning might be an indication of a better quality of tenant, a stable couple, as pets require care and so on. What type of dog would be a starter question.

So proceed with caution, you could end up removing responsible type tenants and replace with petless loo laas who hold parties every other week..

On other hand, there are some people keep nasty dog breeds who could be unpleasant to neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I'd rather nice european tenants who are responsible enough to care for a dog than a few "young professionals" who let the place descend into squalor and allow their friends to vomit into your deep pile carpets every weekend.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

..... and another dog ends up in the local pound on death row..... and its not the dogs fault. I volunteer with an animal rescue centre and most dogs currently being surrendered are because people are not allowed take them to a new rental property. Very sad. I agree with other posters who say it can be a good indication of people. I think in my book the calibre of your new tenants would be more important than the dog. Any damage should mean no return of deposit.

Loads of reasons.

Why is following the rules a problem?

Not the OP's problem or even their concern. Tenants shouldn't have gotten a dog if they weren't allowed.

I would hold the opposite view to yourself. It is an indication of what people are like, but that's not always positive. If I was renting out a place and someone so blatantly and willfully ignored a major deal-breaker like that so early on in the lease, I'd get rid ASAP. The calibre of your tenants has been proven to be less than trustworthy, they went behind your back and flouted one of your/their covenants. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some people don't love dogs or cats or any other animals for that matter just as others do like them. That's life for you in all its colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

We work in maintenance and the smell of dog in homes that have dogs is disgusting. Hair and faeces and marks from dogs tearing at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

I operate an airbnb and welcome pets almost without restriction. This tenant broke faith immediately and is liable for breach of contract, good luck all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,528 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A tenant breaking a lease is the tenants fault. No one else's.

Character assassination isn't going to sell the idea pet owners are better tenants. If you think that you're sadly mistaken. Likewise if you are unable to look after a pet don't make it someone else's problem.

It's great then the OP does not lives with his tenants in the same house, so that is not a problem.

If a dog **** in the house, then it's a problem. Fortunately, this is not the usual behaviour for dogs at all. I had multiple dogs, none of them ever did that. A short walk couple of times a day takes care of this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Either the pet or the tenant goes, but, that is on the assumption that your lease contains a “no pet” clause and/or, the EA informed the tenant that it is a condition of the tenancy. If you have neither, then you will be having a conversation with your EA, but your tenants will be on solid ground should you try and terminate a term lease.

Why is a dog a problem? Does the flat have rare irreplaceable antique furniture?

Without meaning to, your comment suggests dog is a risk to furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, it is if they feel they have to pay for cleaning once the animal leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There are good pet owners and bad pet owners. It's sometimes hard to tell which type of owner they will be. At the end of the day, they have broken the terms of the lease (assuming there is a no pets clause in the lease).

Exactly this.

The problem is not the dog/pet. Its the deception.

For a long term rent you are often going to replacing all the furniture and repainting the whole place anyway. So a dog or a pet isn't the issue you might think. Not for a good tenant. Depends on the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I'd be wanting to check the breed of dog first of all. It could be a chihuahua for all you know.

A bleedin' budgie would do more damage than one of them.

Now if it's a big bugger of a labrador, or great dane, well...

... put the rent up another 100 or so a month, or turf them out. Your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You need to check the lease to make sure it said no pets.

Ask the EA if it was made clear to them. Let him find out why they broke the lease based on above.

Then decide based on the type of dog and if you want to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The only real issue I see is if the LL officially allows a dog then the LL has to accept more wear and tear on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

And the tenants lose their deposit to pay for any damage their dog did when they leave. Simple solution

I mean exactly what I say. Everything is a risk. Unless the flat is filled with inert gas at low temperature with no light coming in, there will be some wear and tear. If a dog (or a human) living at the premises breaks something, then it should be paid for or replaced by tenants, that is not a question. What I question is the irrational limitation that a landlord feels free to impose on tenants. What's next? No kids allowed?

I am getting off topic, of course. There is already a good advice for the OP -- if they don't like the tenants, they may ask them to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Judging by the increase in media reports of serious dog fouling on beaches, etc, not being picked up, its clear that there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

You should buy a place and rent it to the tenants in question so.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Did you give a one year lease OP?

If breach of tenancy obligations you inserted in the lease, do you have to give an opportunity for them to remedy? What if they inform you "the dog is gone" and they have a friend mind it for a few days. You inspect, dog gone, what do you do then? Do you have evidence to go to the RTB with if it goes that far? How do you plan on collecting evidence they have a dog in contravention with the lease? Will you depend on the neighbour to go to an RTB hearing to back you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That doesn't wash I'm afraid. Letting them have a dog obviously puts more wear & tear on the property. Allowing the dog is allowing the extra wear & tear. It's considered normal wear & tear. You can't hold the deposit back for normal wear & tear.

Noise complaints?

The other family in the duplex being allergic to dog hairs?

And what about the OPs lease? The vast, vast, vast majority of multi-occupancy tenancies in Ireland are leasehold, not freehold. This covers pretty much every single apartment and duplex in the country. Pets are banned EVEN BY OWNER OCCUPIERS in most of them. You could even end up being in breach of your landlord's insurance, depending on how that's worded.

Guy in my block got at least two warnings from the OMC over his tenants bringing in pets. He was told that a third one would instigate legal action by the OMC.

• Advertisement

Everything is a risk what nonsense is that. Car insurance isn't the same for everyone. Because risk isn't always the same.

I mind a family member dog now and then. Last time he demolished half a window sill. Lot of friends with dogs have had to replace the grass in their gardens with more hardwearing materials. That not something a LL should be expect to carry for free. The deposit won't cover that kind of stuff.

Its not irrational, its a lease. Don't like it, don't rent it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement