Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenant moved in with a pet without telling us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

I wish I could, but generally people giving free advice on the boards are rarely people who have 450K ready to spend on issues they comment on ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Was "no pets" specified in the lease? Was your communication with the EA via email - ie can you come back to them and clearly point out that you said no dogs and yet they've stuck a tenant in with a dog?

AFAIK if the lease specified no dogs and they moved one in, you can give them notice to quit. If the EA didn't tell them it's no pets and it's not on the lease, then it might be more complicated.

I rented with a dog and we were upfront with the landlord beforehand - offered to pay a higher deposit etc but he was happy enough after the first couple of inspections that we were keeping the place nicely and not letting the dog wreck it.

I have my old apartment rented out and there's no way I'd be ok with letting it out with a dog in it. Aside from potential mess/wear and tear issues, my main concern would be noise. A dog left alone in an apartment all day while the owner is at work is likely to bark, and that'll lead to complaints from neighbours and possible trouble with the management company. When I lived there one of the neighbours below had a dog that barked all the time and she was home most of the day, so even though the dog wasn't left alone, it was still very noisy.

It's not a matter of being a dog lover or not, the issue is they potentially acted in bad faith by concealing the fact that they planned on bringing a dog in. That's definitely not a great start to a good landlord/tenant relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You don't need 450k. You just need to have the confidence to borrow and it take the risk other people do.

If you won't take the risk, it suggests you don't think its low risk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

To me, it is the deception that is the issue?

I rented from a decent dude, quirky rules, don't park your bike in the front garden or hall bring it out the back, don't leave the bins in the front garden bring them out the back - but we complied. There was a no-pets clause! But when a housemate requested that she keep a cat(her sister's who was going off around the world), the landlord asked the rest of us staying in the place, did we mind (we were all too polite to refuse) so she was let have her cat. It did make my allergies worse...

I think the decent thing for a tenant is to be respectful and ask? not doing so is just bad manners - bad behaviour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Generally I'm sure they would ask but there is only 800 properties to rent in the whole of ireland so it is a disaster for people to find anything, let alone with their pet. Just have inspections done by the EA and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

Throw them out for a higher class of tenant. Call the gards aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not the point. If the op prohibited pets in the property, then it was let on that basis. Whether it is difficult to find an alternative is not the concern of the op, nor indeed should there be an onus to change the terms of the tenancy to increase the number of inspections. Pets have always been a deal breaker for me and I do not under any circumstances, including offers of higher payments allow tenants to have them in the property.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Didn't say any different, just why everyone will be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

With the laws heavily in favour of tenants some believe that the rules don't apply to them.

The concern is if they breached contract and trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

100% this. You'll get in trouble for breach of contract with the management company OP. Deal with this asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

What did the EA say when you contacted them about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Smell of dogs is disgusting. And you ALWAYS get the stink of them when you go into any house where they have one. PEople who own pets cant smeel them of course so dont give a crap what everyone else has to smell when they go into their houses. And God help you if you ever didnt pretend you cant smell them. Does my house smell of dogs? Its like asking does my bum look big in this? There is only one answer. Lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Detritus70

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Depends on a few things IMO, if they don't have a fixed term lease and they're there less than 6 months, you can kick them out with no reason required.

If they have a fixed term lease, it gets a bit more complicated as I don't think you can just kick them out - you need to notify them that they are breaching their lease terms and give them an opportunity to remedy the situtation - from the PRTB website: The LL can terminate the lease if "The tenant has not complied with their responsibilities, despite being notified of this in writing by the landlord and being given reasonable time to remedy the matter(s)"

Only you can decide whether or not this breach of the lease is significant enough to kick them out or not - on the one hand, they lied to you but on the other hand, it's pretty hard to find a property at the moment so it's understandable that people lie. Personally, I wouldn't have a pet in the house but everyone has their own opinion on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

It's your house but it's now your tenant's home and they should be able to rent and live just like anyone in a normal civilized society which includes having a pet. I rented for 10 years in Ireland and is BS like this that gets landlords a bad name in many cases well deserved. Yes, it's your investment, a path you choose but your investment is now a family home and they have every right to live happily in it, and if that means they want a pet so be it. If you do not like this then sell and let someone else rent or buy your house as does not sounds like you are not cut out to be a proper and caring landlord.

Rubbish, there is no right to have a pet if the house owners prohibits it. Having a pet is a choice, if you want to have one, look for a rental that allows them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

No offence but that is absolute nonsense regarding a better quality of tenant, many, and Id consider it a majority majority of people are not responsible pet owners, even if they are towards their pet/s they aren't necessarily towards their neighbours. A duplex doesnt sound like the ideal accomodation for pet ownership, ie are there neighbours downstairs? is the pet barking constantly? if so now is the time to sort it out, not that there isn't the potential for a negative response, but better sort it now than later. Is it definitely in the lease? if it wasn't desired specifically, it should be, otherwise if the tenant didnt know about it or the agent didnt inform them which is likely they could be justifiably unhappy, however, its more often than not the case that pets aren't liked in rentals, because they can bother neighbours and there is no recourse for a landlord if they cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Cry me a river. So what if they have a pet in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

You could just as easily have been polite and said you have allergies, if the landlord had a no pets policy then I dont even see why he agreed, he'd have done you more of a favour if he declined himself on your behalf discreetly by just saying He didnt want it.

I dont even see whats quirky about the bins and bicycle rules, bins left in front garden can be exposed to being tipped/blown over at a rental and no one may care/do anything about it, just rubbish everywhere, or stolen both hassle, time, cost for the LL, bikes out front (bicycle) can attract attention and get stolen (even if locked) bikes in hallways may hinder exiting a property in an emergency and generally block the way, bring in wet/dirt and deteriorate carpets. These are commonsense and considerate rules that benefit the landlord and the tenants (lodgers?). The landlord had no obligation to take in the tenants sisters cat as she was going off on a holiday, nor should anyone else had to have any inconvenience because of it, your own allergies suffered, probably cost you to deal with that aside from dealing with it.

I have a dog and I take care of her, but its not something Id want to burden other people with, I was a landlord and I declined permission to have pets and it happened anyway, a cat shredded arms on a suite of furniture, another had a dog, while it didnt apparently do damage, my own went through a phase of chewing through skirting board, its just not hassle or cost a landlord needs.

• Advertisement

It's no wonder the whole situation is a joke in Ireland with this attitude. A landlord's job is to provide homes, and homes have people and pets. If they do not like that then stop being landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I've two dogs - one is 12, the other is 7. No damage in my house whatsoever from them. Only one minor "accident" ever.

I have an airbnb, never a problem with dogs, but I do have some conditions such as zero dog waste to be left in any garden area and dogs must not go upstairs. A €50 refundable fee is charged. I've never not had to refund the fee.

It is so difficult to find a place that will accept a dog, you will probably never have any payment issues with the tenants.

I'd let them stay, but with an addendum to the contract to cover any potential damage by the dog and also if the dog proves to be a barker and annoying neighbours that the lease would have to be cancelled. But my guess is that its a small breed dog and that you will not ever have issues with them regarding payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

Disclosure: I have been a renter with dogs, both sneakily and upfront.

In the OP's situation I would say "Look, I'm really not happy about the dog in the house. I don't want to see you out on the street but obviously I have to protect my investment. Can you give me a reference from the last place you lived with the dog? Would you agree to take full responsibility for all wear and tear caused by the dog? Will you agree to pay professional cleaners to clean all traces of the dog when you leave?"

If they are willing to commit to that and if the reference checks out you will have tenants who are grateful to their very sound and reasonable landlord. That makes it more likely that they'll be long-term tenants, reluctant to rock the boat.

I stayed in my last house almost eight years because I could live there with the dogs. The landlord, who I still chat to occasionally, said they never had a better tenant. I was so abjectly grateful to them that I did all the exterior maintenance myself and left it much nicer than I found it. I never bothered them about repairs, I replaced a washing machine and an electric shower out of my own pocket. I had the place professionally cleaned, carpets and all, when I moved out.

Homes don’t have people and pets, they have people, some of whom choose to have pets. But that choice does not mean you have a right to bring them into someone else’s property.

once you rent it's now the home of the people who are paying you. You own the bricks and mortar but the 'home' is now theirs and they have the right to live in it as they see fit. Landlords for some reason do not understand this basic right.

There is no right to have a pet in a rental, you show me a link to that right and I’ll agree with you.

Much as I am loathe to quote the partisan Threshold site, even they state that it is a breach of tenant obligations/contract to have a pet if it is prohibited by the owner.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/private-rented-accommodation-and-pets/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

nah thats BS. while its unfortunate that most landlords arent okay with having pets in rentals, its their call and tough luck if someone doesnt like it, its not exactly an unreasonable rule

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Breaching a valid lease condition is not a right

I never said there was a specific right. What I am saying is that any landlord not allowing people to live a perfectly normal life in their building should not be a landlord. It's about basic human decency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

So its ok for you to live in a house with pets but for for someone else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement