Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenant moved in with a pet without telling us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You literally said in your previous post that a tenant has a right to live in their home “as they see fit”. They do not. If the lease prohibits pets, there is absolutely no right for the tenant to have one. It isn’t about decency, it’s about the owner of a property not wanting animals which are pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd say good luck to them. If they were selected by you and before signing anything with you said to you "look we've a dog, we're happy to pay an extra 25quid a month on the rent say. Here's a reference from our previous landlord they can vouch for us" then I'd have some sympathy.

They didn't and they're hoping you either don't find out or do find out and not care. Risky game to play.

Last place we rented we did pretty much as I said above, and threw in an extra 100quid into deposit for reassurance. When we moved out they got an immaculate house back and we got out full deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

"we were tipped off today by a former neighbour that they moved in with a dog."

Who to say this former neighbour just doesn't like the new tenants and are looking to have them removed!

Has there been any proof of a dog there!

Post edited by Mundo7976 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

your response demonstrates how stupid the system is. No landlord should ever be in a position to tell anyone how they can live their private lives in their own home (regardless if they own or rent it) God help all landlords when I get elected and become the housing minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

So should tenants have a right to smoke in their homes? To throw rubbish around the garden? To sublet to as many people as they like? To draw on the walls?

There has to be a balance between the tenant’s right to create a home and the landlord’s right to protect their property from damage. You might draw the line in a different place than somebody else but to argue tenants should be able to do whatever they want to somebody else’s property is childish. And yes, dogs increase the risk of damage to the property (and I have a dog). So do kids but landlords can’t exclude them. Because kids are people.

They don’t tell anyone how to live their life in their own home, LLs just have conditions for using their property as a home. We’ve had enough clueless housing ministers thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You don't know much about human behaviour obviously. Consider this to be a young couple, they can be at various stages in relationship. At start, can be footloose and have regular parties, live the wild life. Later on when they mature a bit and relationship is going well, a pet often comes on the scene. It's a kind of child substitute, they're not ready to have kids yet but joint care of a pet is a step.

So which kind of couple do you want in your place - the party goers and hell raisers or the latter more settled type????????????????????? If it's manageable then it should be a no brainer.

• Advertisement

Make sure it's not an assistance dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP can you clarify your development rules re pets. Most people replying are doing so on the basis that you're the only one against having this dog. If, like most development rules, the rules for your duplex say no pets then it's the owner that has the grief from the management company, not the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Deeec

You appear not to understand what renting means! - The landlord owns the house not the tenant. The landlord has a right to protect their property and want their property properly taken care of. Would you think it's ok to bring a dog to a hotel that doesn't allow dogs - bet you wouldn't. Let's face it some dog owners are irresponsible and allowing pets in a rental does carry a risk. This landlord is right not to allow pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

This post is almost as good as the driver v cyclist threads!

A few sane logical posts strewn between absolute nonsense. Dog owner = honest reliably tenant, non dog owner =wreckless party goer? Seriously?

There's a family moved in near my, parents, couple of kids, pets. They've had parties going on until all hours with guests cars parked all over the road. They've had guests who've blocked my car in the drive for hours. They park all over the place. 2 cars & a van. Destroyed the grass at the kerbside & block the path. They're a pain to gave as neighbours but at least they have a dog!

Seeing as you can only request one months worth of rent as a deposit, I would be very wary of allowing pets unless a four figure sum was held in escrow.

My old tenant had two little adult dogs and I didn’t think there’d be a problem but the little rascals would sit on the back of the sofa looking out the windows. They bit into and scratched the window boards leaving deep indentations. They also heavily scratched the lower door panels too. I sanded, filled, under coated and painted as best I could but in reality the window boards need replacing which is a big job on an already plastered house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did you read the OP at all?? He/she writes 'After being very selective we decided upon a couple who moved into the property approx 6 weeks ago'

A couple, no mention of children, careful selection - that is what we are commenting on. Not your bunch of anti social loo laas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The landlord owns the house but the tenant has the right to the exclusive use of it. Meaning the landlord has no real right to enter to do or check anything after the tenant moves in.

Some of you have clearly never really seen proper dog damage or heard the complaints from a dog in a semi-d/duplex/apartment who barks and whines all day and night.

Absolute rubbish. They have a right to live in the home but not as they see fit, and not with a pet if it's expressly forbidden. They also have responsibilities that accompany those rights, and adhering to the covenants of the lease is one of them.

You did say it. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

I did read the op, I was not replying to him just commenting on the idiotic posts such as yours.

The op did not mention children, you did! I gave am example of a troublesome family which going by your knowledge of "human behaviour" would be ideal tenants. You also imply that younger couples without pets are "party goer he'll raisers".

Did you read the op? Because your replies have nothing to do with the op's situation. The fact that some dog owners are responsibly & some youg couples are party goers had nothing to do with tenants (possibly) breaking a contract by having a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The RTB recommends an inspection of the property every 3 months. Refusal to allow a property to be inspected is grounds for termination of the tenancy.

https://www.rtb.ie/during-a-tenancy/maintenance-inspections-and-access/inspections-and-access

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This all boils down to the lease, if it says no pets, tell them to rehome the dog, or leave. As it's in the first six months you can ask them to leave.

Next did your agent know they had a pet before they moved in. I'd tell them. Do you want to use them again.

I'll say this one last time... IT'S NOT A HOUSE!! The OP has said it's a duplex so the OP is bound by development rules and it's 99% likely that pets are banned by the management company. And so the OP is unlikely to be free to allow pets even if they wanted to.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a mansion, duplex, studio or tent, what matters is that “no pets” was a condition of the tenancy, presuming of course that the tenants were made aware of this.

Even if the lease didn't say that, there should be something that says the tenants are also bound by the development rules. I know it's in my head lease from the management company that if I rent the place out that must go in the contract. No pets is one of the first rules.

And people wonder why the Irish are obsessed with home ownership.

Why pay someone else's mortgage while they expect you to not do anything that might cost them a few quid.

Does your employer pay your mortgage/rent for you?

I pay my mortgage and I do what I please with my property.

You saying a tenant is paying a LLs mortgage is akin to me saying your employer is paying yours, it’s nonsense. The tenant is paying for a service, what the LL does with the payment is not the tenants concern anymore than it would be your employers concern what you do with your wage.

And yes, you do what you please with your property because you own it, a tenant does not own a rental property so obviously they cannot do what they please with it.

• Advertisement

Expecting the tenant to respect their lease and development rules is one of the basics of renting out a property.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement