Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that one of the cube presenters? That whole set up is awful, and the two girls chairing it are painful to watch. And painful on the ears.

The only downside to the ES coverage - as a rule i love their game commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Men’s tennis is different because of the importance of the serve. Losing a game on their own serve often means losing the set. In women’s tennis, they frequently trade breaks of serve.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't know, she is the dark haired woman. She was walking around the other day trying to fill space when it was raining, and again today outside with John Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

The Fernandez/Bencic match was excellent.

Anisimova/Muchova was shaping up to be a really good contest as well until Muchova rolled her ankle. She just can’t catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They've put Medvedev and Tsitsipas on Suzanne Lenglen tomorrow so they can show Gilles Simon and Hugo Gaston on Chatrier instead. I'd be pretty angry if I had tickets for Chatrier tomorrow having to watch that shite.

• Advertisement

What's the order of preference of the different show courts? All seems fairly random to me....

Azarenka/Teichman is a great match, into a 3rd now.

Azarenka to serve for the match.

I hope Teichman can break back, I barely knew her name but I've loved watching her play, she's a right live wire!!

And a leftie.

Yay, she did!!

Game on again....

Tie break, won by Teichman.

My favourite match so far!

Easy coast into 4th round for Alcaraz.

Korda didn't get a lucky break all night, mind you.

But Alcaraz was clinical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

Alcaraz has the potential to be one of the greats. Let's see if he can win a slam before he turns 22 like most of the greats do. Have a fiver on him to win this French Open.

But then to counter that the masters series - Novak has 38 Masters titles, Rafa has 36, Federer has 28, and Murray has 14.

Outside that there is Zverev with 5, Medvedev with 4, Davydenko with 3. Tsitsipas, Nalbandian, Tsonga and Alcaraz with 2, and nobody else has more than one.

In relation to the WTA moving to Bo5 for slams, there's a higher rate of unforced errors in the WTA than the ATP and a much lower % of WTA players who achieve a ratio of winners to UE of >1

The longer matches go on there are more errors.

It would just mean matches being even more error-ridden going to Bo5

Well, boooo.

I was looking forward to seeing Jeanjean play again (another player of whom I've never heard, but I really enjoyed watching her game yesterday, loved her style of play) - but they have the Sinner match on ES, with the bloody cycling on the other channel.

😭

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

I was at a Gaa match today so didn’t get to see anything but delighted that Giorgi beat Sabalenka, the shrieking from Sabalenka totally distracts me. Now if Azarenka follows her exit it will be brilliant.

Iga is the only top 10 player left in the draw but hopefully some good matches to come. Looking forward to Anisimova v Fernandez.

edited this post cos I missed Azarenka losing to Teichmann. Eardrums are safe for another while.

Post edited by poppy37 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Simon and Gaston both spanked in straight sets, delighted for them.

Crazy Crazy Stat

Over the last 7 Grand Slam Tournaments (up to this French Open which will make it 8) there have only been 2 matches in total that took place between WTA Top 10 players

Meanwhile Medvedev has transformed into a clay-court beast (in the first week at least)

Demolishing the pretty good Kecmanovic in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

Proving that blood is thicker than water, Toni Nadal won't be in FAA's box today against his nephew.

No such blood ties between Djokovic and Vajda who was in Molcan's box in the 2nd round.

Schwartzman comes up short against Djokovic for the 7th time (of 7)

Impressive come back from 0-3 down in the 2nd set

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Have barely watched anything so far, the few matches I've wanted to watch have been hidden away on the Eurosport player.

Either Trevisan, Fernandez, Gauff, Tecihmann or Stephens will be a finalist on the bottom half of the women's side. Hoping for Fernandez or Gauff, so we'll probably end up with Trevisan. I'm assuming (and hoping) Swiatek will make it from the top half, cause if she doesn't....

Everything mostly going to form on the ATP side so far. Maybe Rune making the 4th round is a bit of a surprise? Hasn't dropped a set either and it's only his third grand slam main draw. Hasn't even played Wimbledon yet either but he's already top 40 in the world.

Tsitsipas obviously the favourite to make the final from the bottom half but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, hasn't quite looked himself so far.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement

Nadal looking very off form in the 1st set. Is the foot at him?

If he loses it will get a mention surely.

Commentators so far assuring that that particular issue is not afoot.

Errors and errant serving.

Djokovic equals the record Quarter Finals streak at a single GS :

Jimmy Connors = 13

Djokovic = 13 (2010 FO to 2022 FO)

Federer's best = 11

Murray's best = 10

Nadal's best = 8 (AUS open)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nadal won’t win here!

Write butt-picker off at your peril 🙂

Toni is at the match though and allegedly applauding some FAA shots

“My nephew is my nephew", the Spaniard told ATPTour.com on Friday in Paris. "I told Felix that when he asked me to work with him. I want Rafael to win.

I don't think that those words would surprise many.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

Would like to see Djokovic get knocked out in the quarter final, his fakeness is vomit inducing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Augme

A five setter just before facing novak would be a disaster here for Nadal. That's he even wins in five. Huge advantage for novak either way here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement