Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2022

Options
  • 16-05-2022 12:15pm

When is the 2022 French Open?

The 2022 French Open starts on May 22 and will end on June 5. There will be a total of 15 categories in the upcoming edition.

When is the draw for the 2022 French Open?

The 2022 French Open draw will be released on Thursday, May 19 at 6.45 pm local time.

The draws for the men's and women's singles tournaments comprise 104 direct entries, 16 qualifiers and eight wild cards. Each draw will have 32 seeded players.

What is the date and schedule for the 2022 French Open?

The qualifying rounds of the tournament are scheduled to be held from May 16-20.

The main draw starts on May 22 and will go on until June 5.

====================

Men's Singles ->

With Djokovic and Alcaraz, the two most in-form players in the world set to be seeded 1 and 6 respectively the draw will attract much interest. Nadal will be 5th seed, still scratching about hoping to keep his foot in the hunt.

After not dropping a set in winning the Masters 1000, Djokovic is favourite in betting with the top 3 currently lining up as 7/4 vs 2/1 vs 11/4

Women's Singles ->

With 2021 throwing up the most random list of semi-finalists even for a WTA draw, this time it looks like Swiatek "should" prevail with the narrative being if someone can make it a contest with only WTA 26 Samsonova giving her a match in recent times.

====================

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Comments

Feliciano Lopez fails in his bid to extend his already-a-record 79 consecutive Grand Slams to 80 by losing in qualifying.

Yep so it's Djokovic, Alcaraz, Nadal, Zverev all in the same top half

Good draw for Tsits

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Lordy! Which one makes the final. Think it's between Djokovic and Alcaraz, with Nadal losing to the former in the QF's.

Haven't looked at the whole draw yet but Osaka-Anisimova is an interesting opener. Anisimova will be well up for a second consecutive grand slam scalp.

Bit of a pity in a way in that the Top Half Semi Final of the men's is very very likely to provide the winner so it's sort of like the de facto final

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Or as sometimes happens, the finalist from that side has had a tough quarter and semi and is picked off easily by the fresh finalist from the other half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've tickets for day two of the fourth round which I'm guessing will be the bottom half? Absolutely sick with that draw.

Ooh I just checked there and last year it was the top half of the draw that played on that day. All hope is not lost yet.

Post edited by Royale with Cheese on

But Tsits has a pretty bad record against the top half contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Djokovic

Nadal, Alcaraz

Tsitsipas

In that order, Tsitsipas only makes list as he is most likely from his half to make final

Swiatek, is the clear favourite for the women's, but, virtually anything can happen in the women's draw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem in all sorts of trouble here against Dallien. No first serve, forehand return all over the place. At 28 I wonder will he ever get back to the top.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Terrible result from Jabeur, especially after winning Madrid and reaching the Rome final. Not as if Linette even has big clay pedigree either. Jabeur still very shaky at the slams.

Sad to see Thiem still being winless this year, needs to drop down to challenger level to try and get a bit of form going.

• Advertisement

Alize Lim appears to have kept her job 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

That was an absolute disaster for Ons and Kanepi pulled her usual giant killing act by beating Garbine, although the way Garbine has been playing recently it wasn’t a big surprise. I hope this isn’t a sign that the women’s draw is going to fall apart again this year.

Sloane Stephens, a member of the players council spoke after her match saying it’s the right decision to take the points off Wimbledon. Easy for her to say when she’s only defending second round points. Rennae Stubbs has claimed 80% of the players disagree with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What the hell is going on with Them? I know he had a bad injury and was out for some time, but his form and attitude has been horrendous since he's returned.

Although not a fair comparison, Nadal was contemplating retirement last winter after yet another career-threatening injury, and he came back to win the AO. Thiem seems to be at the other end of the scale.

And there goes Osaka. No doubt you won't see her again until the US hardcourt season starts.

I'd say her eyes lit up when she saw the news about the ranking points being removed, I don't think there's another player on tour who that decision suited more.

Parry takes Krejcikova to a 3rd set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say Osaka is loving the situation with Wimbledon, gives her the excuse now to take a few weeks off (not that she hasn't already), get back to the states and get ready for hard court. I'm not too sure she wants to be out there playing tennis and that at the moment she is just fulfilling contractual and sponsorship obligations and as soon as they end then that will see her stepping away.

Krejcikova struggling at the moment but should win this one.

Parry has a lovely one handed backhand. Rare seeing a woman hit the one handed backhand nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It is a lovely shot, one of only 2 in the top 100 according to the commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Proper slugfest between Norrie and Guinard.... I think they said they're 45 mins in and it's only 4-2!

A bientot Krejcikova

I knew it was rare but didn't realise it was practically extinct. Trying to think who the other woman is that uses the one handed backhand.

Took them ages to think of it during the match. I didn't catch the name when they said it.

I don't know what it is about Norrie but it's hard to believe he is in the top 10 in the world. He just doesn't look or play like a top 10 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

Was it Golubic by any chance, she’s the only one that comes to mind. I didn’t know Parry had a one handed backhand, I don’t think I have ever seen her play. I used watch Suarez Navarro purely to watch her backhand, a thing of beauty in full flight.

It was tough to see Krejcikova fall apart like that today, it was obvious she was nowhere near ready but probably felt she had to try and make some defence of her title.

Raducanu in big trouble here. Noskova is thumping winners from everywhere.

Post edited by Floppybits on

Good fighting performance from Raducanu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He's not bad, but the fact that guys like him , Ruud and Sinner are so high in the rankings isn't a great reflection on the depth of the men's game.

Once the oldies step away we are going to get some very random winners of these slams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement