Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Or more likely Alcaraz will win everything for the next 5+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Neither scenario will be good for the game, just look at the women's game, its thrown up so many random winners in the last few years it's become farcical at this stage, but, when Serena dominated without any serious challenger it wasn't good either. Hopefully in the future someone can come along and challenge Alcaraz too and build up a proper rivalry to make it interesting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tsonga drives the crowd wild, taking the first set on a TB v Ruud.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Haven't had a chance to watch much so far. As we all remember Musetti squandered a two set lead against Djokovic last year, looks like he's going to do the same here against Tsitsipas.

Sad to see Tsonga retire, but it was obviously time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just watching the Tsonga-Ruud match highlights now.

What a match! The atmosphere there must have been electric.

The poor Norwegian, playing against all that!! But poor Tsonga as well, emotions clearly running high for him.

• Advertisement

Awww, and literally as I typed that, he caved 😥

What a horrible end (I'm assuming it's the end...)

A pint-sized Argentinian fairly putting it up to Zverev..... be interesting to see how long he can keep it up.

5-1 to Baez, he's running rings around Zverev - for the moment anyway.

1 set up, and 2 breaks up in 2nd.

Zverev is at sea here.

The wind is whipping up rightly, sending up dust storms every so often.... I wonder would they consider closing the roof of that continues? It must be wildly uncomfortable, if not impossible, to play in it.

WTA 47 Aliaksandra Sasnovich maintains her 100% head-to-head record against Raducanu who herself maintains her post US Open slam record with a second-round exit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh my, Alcaraz two sets to one down.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Alcaraz not really looking like the second coming of Jesus yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

what defence by Alcaraz to make it 5-4.

Jesus is risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Amazing performance , will dominate tennis for 15 years ,no hope for anyone else, just needs to get to that first semi and then many more semis to come.

Had to go out this afternoon so recorded the last 3 sets of Zverev-Baez - just finished watching it - what a match!! I really though Baez might do it.

Size, stature, attitude, style, all reminded me of Alcaraz - both pocket rockets. OK, he's a (little) bit older, but def one to watch.

Just sorry I've missed the Alcaraz match!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

One thing today has cemented, is the absolute certainty that Nadal will win the French open.

Alcaraz was the only player that could beat him, and him taking 4.5 hrs to beat Vinolas shows he won't beat him here.

It's gas, Rafa supposedly "injured" and is playing like he was when he was 25 here - we fall for it every single time, nice act in Madrid Rafa ...

I wonder what odds ill get, as it's money in the bank.

Hopefully that will be Alcaraz' worst match of the tournament and he'll continue progressing through the draw, would be a real shame if he doesn't make the semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

^^ That Hector lad knows his stuff, but come on, it's kind of like predicting that Conor McGregor would win in a bare knuckle v some 90 year old age pensioner with a bad hip ...

It's not rocket science lads.

• Advertisement

That Hector lad knows his stuff

Self praise is no praise 😂

I'd like to see some evidence of this accusation ...

Djokovic is hitting the ball pretty sweetly

Even the famously erratic "Djoko-smash" is on form

Fair play to the gaunt Ramos Viñolas of 34 años for putting it up to Alcaraz today - good match

Fair play to Alcaraz also for taking it - the lad just enjoys playing tennis and being out there battling

Ciao Pliskova

And the world #1 in waiting is safely through to the 3rd round.

Post edited by josip on

Yet another bagel handed out by Swiatek - Her 15th so far this season.

And Halep gone today too. Carnage on the women's side, seven of the top 10 seeds are out before the third round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I wonder would there be less carnage on the women's seeds if they played best of 5 in slams

I think definitely. If the men's side was best of 3 then Alcaraz, Tsitsipas and Zverev would be out already, Djokovic would have lost twice last year instead of being champion.

Fernandez and Bencic match is really good. Both pushing each other to play better and better.

• Advertisement

Bencic out. Fernandez held her nerve.

How can Eurosport go for that presenter again this year? She is absolutely woeful. I don't know if nerves are at her, but she sure gets on mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement